AMM with Sachiko M - London 13 December

  • Nat Catchpole
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2004
      AMM will be playing in London next week, more information below.

      AMM with Sachiko M:

      Eddie Pr�vost _ percussion
      John Tilbury _ piano
      Sachiko M _ sampler

      www.ongakusound.com
      Monday 13 December
      doors 7:30pm �10

      AMM are one of the most influential forces in modern music. On the cusp of
      their 40th year, the legendary improvising ensemble make a rare London
      appearance this December for a very special ONGAKU:enjoy_sound concert.

      The line up has changed several times over the years, most recently with the
      much publicised withdrawal of guitarist Keith Rowe.

      AMM's searching, evolving repertoirelessness remains constant, as does
      founding member and master percussionist Eddie Prevost's presence alongside
      the group's pianist since the late 70's, the world reknowned John Tilbury.

      For this concert, AMM will be joined by one of the world's foremost
      electronic musicians, Sachiko M, on 'empty sampler' and contact microphones,
      who continues to develop the music of essential abstraction she has
      pioneered in Tokyo alongside musicians like Otomo Yoshihide and Toshimaru
      Nakamura.

      This new combination promises - in the tradition of AMM - the unexpected. It
      will be Sachiko's first appearance in London since April 2002 and the first
      time she has performed with either member of AMM outside of the recorded
      project with John Tilbury, Werner Dafeldecker and Franz Hautzinger: Absinth
      (Grob 435).

      The concert will take place in the intriguing setting of London's Museum of
      Garden History, furnished with a piano especially for the event.

      Museum of Garden History,
      Lambeth Palace Road
      London SE1 7LB
      020 7401 8865
    • richardreesjones
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Nat Catchpole" <natcatchpole@h...>
        wrote:

        > The line up has changed several times over the years, most recently
        with the
        > much publicised withdrawal of guitarist Keith Rowe.

        I may have missed it but I hadn't heard anything about this
        supposedly "much publicised withdrawal", although I am aware of
        Prevost's withering comments about Rowe in his new book. I find it
        hard to believe, though, that this was the only reason for the split -
        they must have been aware of each others' politics for years.
        Does anyone have any more information as to how and why it happened?

        Richard
      • Olivier Borzeix
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
          > I am aware of
          > Prevost's withering comments about Rowe in his new book.   I find it
          > hard to believe, though, that this was the only reason for the split -
          > they must have been aware of each others' politics for years.

          Well, yes they were surely aware of eachother's views on most of those
          issues but it's more the public personal attacks of Prevost against
          Rowe that decided him to leave. It's one thing to disagree and still
          stay together but it's another one to go public about it starting a
          flamewar in the "media" (a book, and internet forums in this case).

          Just my thougt, no facts. It's quite sad that AMM had to end their
          collaboration with Rowe this way.

          Olivier

        • richardreesjones
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Olivier Borzeix <oborzeix@s...> wrote:
            It's one thing to disagree and still
            > stay together but it's another one to go public about it starting a
            > flamewar in the "media" (a book, and internet forums in this case).

            I knew about the book but not the internet forums. Which forums are
            you referring to?

            Richard
          • Olivier Borzeix
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
              It all started with this :

              http://www.onefinalnote.com/columns/2004/prevost/

              and then Eddie Prevost "answer" :

              http://www.onefinalnote.com/mail/prevost.asp

              There was a bunch of forums entry by Ertswhile"s john Abbey in the
              Bagatellen "forum" but I can't trace them back but if you're interested
              you can go there :

              http://www.bagatellen.com/

              Don't remember exactly the facts and who said what... but it was pretty
              heavy atmosphere... very sad to see that happen.

              Hope it helps.

              Olivier

              Le 04-12-09, � 10:35, richardreesjones a �crit :

              > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Olivier Borzeix <oborzeix@s...> wrote:
              > It's one thing to disagree and still
              > > stay together but it's another one to go public about it starting a
              > > flamewar in the "media" (a book, and internet forums in this case).
              > >
              > I knew about the book but not the internet forums.� Which forums are
              > you referring to?
              >
              > Richard

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > <111704_1104_g_300250a.gif>
              > <l.gif>
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > �
              > �
              > Service.

            • Olivier Borzeix
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
                Though, I don't want to be mistaken, I don't think the internet plaid
                any part in Rowe's departure, the book and the "inside" relations alone
                must have been the reason. Internet just made it a bit more painful w/
                lots of figures from the improv scene indulging themselves in some
                slightly childish debates (which aren't worth the internet hunt in my
                opinion).