WRECK: The Mind = Electrical Outlet

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2004

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: no. 269: The Mind is an Electrical Outlet

      streaming in the ether and via internet: <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>
      we now also stream at <http://freeteam.nl:8000/patapoe.m3u>

      "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more
      and more closely, the inner soul of the people.
      On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach
      their heart's desire at last
      and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
      * H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

      "Bareheaded, / Shoveling, / Wrecking, / Planning, / Building,
      breaking, rebuildingŠ"
      o Carl Sandburg "Chicago"

      ~~~
      Pools & Currents > Denis Smalley [1]
      Losing Weight Through the Power of the Mind > Pound Guru
      Operation Mind Control > Skull vs Ice [2]
      Mothersboard > Cray [3]
      Cut-Up > Morceaux de Machines [4]
      Rd0blst > Cray [3]
      Same Old Station (SOS) > Jason Robinson vs Marcelo Radulovich [5]
      Rothko > Morceaux de Machines [4]
      + Hellburbia [exc.] > Jello Biafra [6]
      Discrete Jungle > Jason Robinson vs Marcelo Radulovich [5]
      Didjeridoos and Don'ts > Phill Niblock [7]
      Sound of Music > Bonzo Dog Band [8]
      Clara Nostra [exc] > If, Bwana [9]
      Frieden Bitte > Joscha Oetz [10]
      Thanks > Jackson MacLow [11]
      Fault > Foal [12]
      Un Champs l'Été > Guido del Fabbro [13]
      Governor Virasoro > Chango Spasiuk [14]
      Enemy Ears > Blurt [15]
      The Leech > ZGA [16]
      Part 3 > Urban Sax [17]
      Empty Vessels > Blurt [15]
      Look at That > Bob Log III [18]
      Dog > Bob Donough [19]
      Streams > Jonty Harrison [20]
      Monday Night at 8PM > Harvey Anderson [19]
      Cockroach > Jack Kerouac [19]
      Sacréboules > Christian Bouchard [21]
      Show 19 > Lisa Kucharski [22]

      ~~~
      [1] "Sources / Scenes" on Empreintes Digitales <www.electrocd.com>
      From the ED whoosh-wphap-krink school of dramatic electroacoustic
      composition. Enjoyable high-concept experimentation using computer
      mangled sound source material.
      [2] One of my all-time favorite deep dub compositions.
      [3] "Undo" on Bip-Hop <www.bip-hop.com> Music and digitally analyzed
      glips and blips scraped off the wetnose of a dying satellite.
      [4] "Liberum Arbitrium" on No Type <www.notype.com> Abstract
      Hi-concept lo-fi migraine-as-inspiration sound-noise compositions
      [5] "Tandem" on Accretions <www.accretions.com> Interesting
      collaborations from the San Diego jazz cabal - a good mix of standard
      jazz instrumentation with tapes, samples, and unconventional
      instruments.
      [6] "Become the Media" on Alternative Tentacles
      <www.alternativetentacles.com>. Somewhere between a stern and
      badgering high school political science teacher and Lenny Bruce we
      find Jello bringing consciousness to those who didn't even know the
      difference between being awake and asleep. He masterfully holds the
      attention of the audience who want rock n roll despite his whiney
      voice. Earnestness rewarded.
      [7] "Young Person's Guide to Phill Niblock" on XI Records
      <www.xirecords.org> Tape-only compositions performed on tape + live
      musicians. Live musicians create their own scores and fuck with the
      tape, the space - improv with a machine then.
      [8] "The History of the Bonzo Dog Band" on United Artists vinyl.
      [9] "Clara Nostra" on Pogus <www.pogus.com> One of the great
      [numerically and conceptually] projects which involves a long
      Bryars-like meditation on "106,476" clarinets. Imagine a 747 floating
      through the Taj Mahal.
      [10] "Vieles ist Eins" on Accretions <www.accretions.com> German
      California jazz improv collaborations with a number of surprising
      highlights.
      [11] "Open Secrets" on XI Records <www.xirecords.org> Interesting
      record although I cannot listen to a few minutes of it at a time
      before I get agitated, my palms sweat, my eyes begin to flicker like
      a computer screen. I remember being part of this inventive word
      festival in Heidelberg to which Mark Boswell and I were invited. We
      were definitely the virgins in the crew but I did get to eat meals
      with people like Heiner [not Herman] Goebbels and Robert "Iron Man"
      Bly, a great American poet who somehow went batty in the 1980s when
      he combined male hormones and pagan mysticism and feel-good group
      therapy. Anyway, sitting next to Bly during the JM performance, he
      leaned over and said something like, personally I admire Jackson and
      consider him a friend but honestly this is rubbish. Or something to
      that effect.
      [12] "Foliage" on Coginition Audioworks <www.cognitionaudioworks.com>
      [13] "Carré de Sable" on Dame <www.actuellecd.com> Very interesting
      record which claims to be a "collection of hotel chamber music
      pieces" that form "the soundtrack to the time taken to create
      personal ecosystems and to have fun with very simple materialsŠ"
      [14] "World 2004" on Wrasse Records <wrasserecords.com>. World music
      sampler with plenty of surprising sounds that you don't just think
      your listening to yet another PC-packaged compilation of
      ethno-musical greeting cards.
      [15] "Let There Be Blurt" on Salamander <www.salamanderrecords.com>.
      Having greased the reigns once held by Albert Ayler and Kurt
      Schwitters this kinetic sax-poet teeters on the brink of absolution
      and damnation, with brilliant glimpses of inspired verbiage. He and
      the rest of the Blurt crew will be in Amsterdam December 2 at the
      OCCII along the Amstelveenseweg just across the street from the
      southwest entrance to the Vondel Park. Definitely worth the couple of
      Euros to get in.
      [16] "The Flight of Infection" on Tariff/Bridman
      <www.traiffrecords.com> Strange jazz rock from saint Petersburg in
      Russia [not Florida].
      [17] "Fractions sur le Temps" on EPM. Imagine 20 saxophonists dressed
      in white emergency worker uniforms on a floating island that looks
      like its made of fluff and cloud, and hearing the incredible sound of
      20 saxophones floating down the river into neverneverland.
      [18] "School Bus" on Fat Possum <www.fatpossum.com>. Operating
      somewhere between Hasil Adkins, Mojo Nixon, lo-fi Captain Beefheart,
      and DIY dirty garbage can blues.
      [19] "Word Jazz & Pictures from a Gone World" as compiled by friend
      and fellow Radio 100 DJ, Fritz. Donough is one of those inimitable
      jazz voices, few and far between. Listen to his work with Miles Davis
      on a number like "Blue Christmas" and you sense here was the birth of
      the modern human - cynical, affable, hip, suspicious, cautious, tired
      of society, in other words a jazz beatnikŠ Kerouac was my idol, life
      role model until he got fat, boring, couldn't write any more [just
      read Paris Satori! Yikes!] and was revealed as a small-thinking
      Republican. What a tragedy - so much love of words, language, sound
      and so gruesomely handled by the book reviewers that you can almost
      see his decline with every straight press denunciation of his work.
      My first "novel" was an epic road poem somewhere between Homer and
      Kerouac and documented some Greyhound bus trips as well as
      hitchhiking adventures in years that seem so distant now.
      [20] "Evidence Materielle" on Empreintes Digitales
      <www.electrocd.com> that mixes the notions of acousmatic [sounds
      whose sources remain hidden] and electroacoustic [strategy of playing
      and listening to sounds which involved treating all sounds and noises
      equally and composing with found sound with human manufactured
      sound]. Here sounds are gathered from turbulent points in the life of
      water as it interacts with rocks, or moves from solid, to liquid to
      gas.
      [21] "Fractures" on Empreintes Digitales <www.electrocd.com>
      Electro-acoustic at its best - inspired by what we often forget to
      listen to in a busy everyday life, these composers use as the basic
      elements of composition: "An association between the passing of an
      airplane marked by human activity, two Chinese balls rolling on the
      ground, and a brook.
      [22] "It's All in the Wrist" on Apart Mental. DIY genius of sample collage.

      o Benefit: Went to the Benefit party at the OCCII here in Amsterdam
      Saturday night for the comeback of that enduring and beloved
      alternative news-oriented pirate/free radio station Radio de Vrije
      Keyser, [new frequency: 89.6!] which began some 25 years ago. The
      festivities included legendary blond bomb punk poetess and former
      radiomaker at Patapoe, Diane Ozon, the band, the Fucking Virgins,
      which played a monumental set of romantic hardcore complete with
      young teens in a makeshift mosh pit with flying elbows and dangerous
      mohawks. Then we heard from anarcho-poet, Nico van Appeldoorn, who
      also helped put the current state of affairs around culture, morally
      bankrupt politicians, and the history of pirate radio into further
      context, making the relation between resistance, poetry, free radio,
      and the squatter scene of then and now into proper and humorous
      perspective. Then came the headliners, the local ska band
      Hardheid,which has a huge following. The crowd was nice with ages
      spanning from between 15 or so to 65! Anyway, the OCCII is always a
      good choice for inexpensive culture on the edge on non-acceptability.

      o John Peel: Trying to catch up here. With SO much news, tragedy,
      details and emotions, plus its that crunch part of the year [End of
      October until New Years]. I wanted to chime in belatedly with some
      few comments about John Peel [died age 65] who was interesting and
      important in broadcasting because he offered hope, the notion that
      one can become a force to be reckoned with in music/radio world even
      despite having good/eclectic taste. He offers hope that the existence
      of tastemeisters is not always predicated on mere moneyed access to
      media outlets. Plus he was plucked from a pirate radio station, was
      given free reign to structure and play what he liked. Plus he was no
      showman and just played and talked intimately about what he liked. I
      saw the BBC special homage to him and have to say, he was great, he
      loved the Fall, and other at any one time little known or appreciated
      bands and was able to given them their just audio due. He made bands
      that deserved to be heard. BUT, the notion that he was somehow unique
      or way out there or uniquely eclectic and doing something that NO one
      else was/is doing was pretty much bullshit. And HE would have been
      the first to admit this. Just listen to any number of interesting
      radio stations [Aligre & Libertaire in Paris, WFMU in NY, Patapoe
      here in Amsterdam, Resonance FM in London and hundreds of others] you
      will notice that happy eclecticism, random fire inspired potpourris
      of aural gratification abound and where enthusiastic knowledge with
      segues served up with loving care and audaciousness are the norm. He
      may have fostered this but he is and never was that out there nor
      that unique in this respect. But, that said, he had a inimitable
      non-style based on veracity, modesty, enthusiasm, and intimacyŠ

      Cute side light is the fact that The Undertones' Teenage Kicks, was
      one of his favourite songs. A pretty minor ditty that sounds like
      painful post doo wop garage heading toward punk but hey, it is cute.

      "Broadcasting Legend John Peel Dies, Aged 65
      The Guardian

      'It feels like John Peel invented Radio 1'
      John Peel, the veteran DJ who discovered dozens of major bands during
      a broadcasting career spanning 40 years, has died after suffering a
      heart attack. Peel, who was 65, was taken ill during a working
      holiday with his wife, Sheila, in the city of Cuzco, Peru, and never
      recovered. The Radio 1 controller, Andy Parfitt, Š " What we find
      about great broadcasters is that they are completely dedicated to the
      music. John would seek out the most obscure and most interesting
      things to him and would play it and talk about it. That's what makes
      really exciting radio, people saying exactly what they feel, and
      that's why people loved John. He was real."Š

      The Undertones bass player, Michael Bradley, today said Peel's death
      had robbed radio and the music industry of one of its greatest
      voices. "He was a very funny, very warm man and we will always be
      grateful for what he did for The Undertones," said BradleyŠ. Over the
      last four decades he was renowned for helping to break bands from the
      Undertones to Siouxsie and the Banshees who were unsigned before he
      played themŠ. Peel presented the award-winning Radio 4 programme Home
      Truths as well as a late-night weekday show on Radio 1 and was famous
      as a champion of
      new musicŠ. Parfitt added: "John's influence has towered over the
      development of popular music for nearly four decades and his
      contribution to modern music and music culture is immeasurable.
      Hopeful bands all over the world sent their demo tapes to John,
      knowing that he really cared. His commitment and passion for new
      music only grew stronger over the years.
      [http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1336387,00.html%5d

      o Fat / Slave / Voters: Two interesting demographic studies that came
      out around the elections. One compared the US map of 1860 divided
      into slave states and free states and one with the voting behaviour
      of the US electorate this year and the maps were amazingly similar in
      that almost all the free states and territories voted for Kerry while
      all the slave states voted for Bush. Pretty amazing if mere
      coincidence.

      o Another map show that states suffering the highest rates of obesity
      among their residents pretty much without exception voted for Bush.
      [http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/95/103430.htm%5d By Todd Zwillich,
      WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD October 20, 2004:
      "Antiobesity policies are failing to curb the rising obesity ratesŠ"
      The report accuses "the federal government of not having an organized
      effort to attack rising overweight and obesity rates, which now
      affects more than 60% of Americans.... It also blames states for
      failing to follow up on nutrition and activity programs that are
      intended to fight the $139 billion-per-year epidemic." "Simply asking
      and chastising people to eat less and exercise more is not the way to
      solve this problem," says Shelley Hearne, executive director of Trust
      for America's Health, which issued the reportŠ. Only four states:
      California, Hawaii, Texas, and West Virginia, have nutritional
      standards for snack bar and vending machine foods widely sold in
      schools, according to the report.

      Of the fattest 15 states [Alabama, Mississippi, West Virginia,
      Indiana, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, Tennessee, Ohio,
      Louisiana, Texas, South Carolina, Oklahoma, North Carolina], only 2
      are in the north, all are fairly poor states AND only Michigan was a
      Kerry state. On the other end of the large intestine: Colorado, the
      skinniest state, also went for Bush. Of the other skinny states
      [Connecticut, Vermont Maine, Montana, Rhode Island, Massachusetts,
      Hawaii] only, as said, and Montana voted Bush.

      o Emotion Blind to Fact: Nothing seems to be able to shake belief and
      feelings when it comes to American politics. This is something the
      Left and the atheist and non-believer finds hard to swallow: logic,
      facts, argumentation, data, obvious lies pointed out have almost no
      effect on the FEELING that Americans have that Bush is more of a REAL
      man than Kerry. Yikes! Even the countless articles and books that
      came out written by conservatives who felt disillusioned and scared
      by the tenor of the Bush regime. This is an interesting article that
      came in a couple of weeks ago on Interactivist Info Exchange:
      Collaborative Authorship, Collective Intelligence
      http://info.interactivist.net/

      "Marines Self-Destruct" Robert S. Finnegan, Southeast Asia News

      There isn't a trick in the racketeering bag that the military gang is
      blind to. It has its 'finger men' to point out enemies, its 'muscle
      men' to destroy enemies, its 'brain guys' to plan war preparations,
      and a 'Big Boss, Supra-nationalistic Capitalism. It may seem odd for
      me a military man, to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels
      me to do so. I spent thirty-five years and four months in active
      service as a member of our country's most agile military force, the
      Marine Corps.

      "I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major
      General. During that period I spent most of my life being a
      high-class muscle man for big business, Wall Street and the Bankers.
      In short, I was a racketeer - a gangster for Capitalism. "I suspected
      I was just part of the racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like
      most members of the military profession I never had an original
      thought until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in
      suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of the higher-ups. This
      is typical of anyone in the military. "Thus I helped make Mexico and
      especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped
      make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to
      collect revenue. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central
      American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. The record of
      racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International
      Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I brought light to the
      Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China in
      1927 I helped Standard Oil.

      "During those years I had, as the boys in the back room say, a swell
      racket. I was rewarded with honors, medals, and promotion. Looking
      back on it, I feel I could have given Al Capone a few hints. The best
      he could do was operate in three city districts: I operated on three
      continents".
      - Major General Smedley D. Butler, USMC, as quoted in Money, December 1951.

      If only we had a Smedley D. Butler clone in the Corps today, Bush and
      his gang of Nazi wannabes would certainly have their hands full.
      Sickened by the deterioration of my Marine Corps - indeed what looks
      to be the destruction of anything resembling honor and fidelity - I
      must now relegate myself to the past Corps, where we at least had a
      semblance of our duties to ourselves and to our country. No more will
      I consider myself a part of today's elite organization that began in
      Tun Tavern in 1775. I cannot lend my name to the sycophantic,
      mindless robots that now fill out our ranks. Marines who kill for
      fun. Who kill without question. Who kill for their false God, George
      Bush.

      How did this come to pass? How was an honorable fighting force
      subjugated, degraded, and turned into unrepentant killers of
      civilians? We who prided ourselves as being above all other services,
      officers, NCOs, and enlisted who knew the difference between right
      and wrong on the battlefield and would die protecting the civilian
      population from excesses? What has happened to us?

      To see my kids - yeah, MY KIDS - in a video clip exulting over the
      killing of an unarmed civilian with overwhelming firepower was the
      end of my association with today's Marine Corps. Brain-dead Marine
      Corps Corporals and Sergeants mugging to the BBC camera, shouting
      "right on", as they observe an unarmed Iraqi they have turned into
      hamburger from a fortified position with overwhelming firepower.

      Some warriors. Perhaps their God Bush will give them absolution, and
      then hey, it's right back to the killing. Fundamentalist Christian
      rock before the battle, baptism in a water-filled dinghy by
      prostitutes wearing the cross of the chaplain. Our slain comrades?
      Let Bush take care of 'em.

      This is straight out of an acid-induced nightmare. So my children go
      forth to slaughter innocent civilians in Fallujah. May your God Bush
      bury you in cheap metal caskets. Perhaps the shedding of your blood
      will partially wash away the everlasting stain and disgrace you have
      brought upon our Corps. Our Corps and history will damn you. You will
      know everlasting shame.

      And a final warning to young Marines - should you fire on American
      civilians in some future domestic insanity, you will be destroyed by
      your own kind - that's right kids - your parents in the "Old Corps"
      will see to it that the likes of you will never plague the earth
      again. [Robert S. Finnegan is the Managing Editor of Southeast Asia
      News, a former Non-Commissioned Officer in the United States Marine
      Corps and the lead investigator/Senior Editor for The Jakarta Post,
      Jakarta Indonesia on the Bali bombings of 2002. He may be reached at
      seanews1@...]

      * Dance Activism:
      "No Body is Neutral" by Danswerkplaats Amsterdam & Bodies Anonymous
      1 - 4 december 2004
      Melkweg theater Amsterdam / Lijnbaansgracht 234a

      dans: Hideto Heshiki, Peter Cseri, Guilherme Miotto
      choreografie: Jack Gallagher
      muziek: Ivo Bol
      licht & video: Bernie van Velzen, Jack Gallagher
      kostuums: Aziz Bekkaoui
      dramaturgie: Fransien van der Putt
      [pure dance, non fiction, multi media]

      Reserverations: 020-5318181
      doors open: 20:30, Saturday 22:00
      <http://www.melkweg.nl/>http://www.melkweg.nl

      oooooo

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2000± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      <info@...
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Soon, the unveiling of new juggernaut: <http://wreckthismess.com/
      courtesy of Pavement Tulip, a genius stuck in the body of a Polish
      skier in Brooklyn's inner denouement.
      o Check out excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete on
      Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/> with help from editor einar
      moos and eddie du bois