[Fwd: THE CONDUIT 10.11.04]

  • Andrew Fleming
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2004
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: THE CONDUIT 10.11.04
      Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:02:59 -0800
      From: The Wire News <theconduit@...>

      Welcome to THE WIRE's second mid-month edition of The Conduit. Once a
      month around our on-sale date we'll update you on the new issue in our
      usual way. And in between we'll keep you updated with a mail on what's
      new online and on-air, as below.

      We hope you're enjoying the extra missives from WIRE HQ which will help
      you keep track of exclusives, streams and sneak previews of what lies
      ahead online and otherwise WIRE related. Suggestions and comments welcome.

      Contents:

      1. Online www.thewire.co.uk
      2. Special Events
      3. The Wire on Resonance 104.4 FM
      4. Subscribe & Shop Info + Wire Tapper 12 (2CD)

      -----------------------------

      1____________ ONLINE WWW.THEWIRE.CO.UK

      DOWNLOAD: exclusive mp3s by Lasse Marhaug, Blevin Blectum, Thomas
      Brinkmann, Sightings, Borbetomagus, Oxbow and Keith Fullerton Whitman,
      all recorded live at the second ADVENTURES IN MODERN MUSIC festival held
      at Chicago's Empty Bottle, September 2004.

      *go to http://www.thewire.co.uk/web/mp3.php

      HEAR: A four part radio series based on the State of Song article that
      appeared in The Wire issue #243 May 2004. The shows were commissioned by
      Radio Scorpio, an independent station based in Leuven, Belgium, and were
      originally broadcast in May 2004 in the station's Question Mark slot.

      *go to http://www.thewire.co.uk/web/airextras.php

      READ: the full transcript of Mike Barnes's Invisible Jukebox interview
      with Chris Watson, an edited version of which appeared in issue #248
      September 2004

      *go to http://www.thewire.co.uk/web/writing.php

      READ: ahead of the publication of our 250th issue in December we present
      the 150th issue's cover feature, 150 Essential Objects of Musical Desire.

      *go to http://www.thewire.co.uk/archive/charts.php

      LISTEN: to our Office Ambience chart via an MP3 stream.

      *go to http://www.thewire.co.uk/about/about.php

      ENTER: there's still time to enter our competition to win an exclusive
      Albert Ayler screenprint, posters and 'Holy Ghost' CD samplers. Closing
      date is 18 November.

      *go to http://www.thewire.co.uk/web/index.php

      CHECK: regularly updated news and listings with additional information
      you may not get in the magazine:

      --- Milky Globe are to perform 'The Soft Sea' collaboration with Mark
      Beazley of Rothko on Nick Luscombe's XFM Flo-Motion show, Sunday 28
      November, 10.30pm...

      *full story: http://www.thewire.co.uk/news/news.php

      --- Shipwreck Radio - a series of radio interventions featuring Nurse
      With Wound, part of a work curated by The Wire's Anne Hilde Neset and
      Rob Young for North Norway's Lofoten International Art Festival, are now
      to be released via ICR Distribution: www.icrdistribution.com...

      *full story: http://www.thewire.co.uk/news/news.php

      --- [no.signal] present the last live representation of the sound/music
      project Construction Sonor, a sonic journey into the tubes and shafts of
      the Gotthard and Lötschberg, on 20th November...

      *full story: http://www.thewire.co.uk/news/news.php

      --- On 20 November, Mute and The Grey Area of Mute will be screening
      rare and unseen film and live footage at The Ritzy in Brixton, South
      London for the first in a new series of film nights...

      *full story: http://www.thewire.co.uk/news/news.php

      FORTHCOMING: We have a number of planned web exclusives to tie in with
      the forthcoming 250th issue of THE WIRE (street date: 23 November 2004)
      including rare archived material and MP3/interview streams. Keep your
      ear to the ground!

      2____________ SPECIAL EVENTS

      THE WIRE 250
      Plans to hold a two-day festival marking the publication of THE WIRE's
      250th issue have had to be postponed. However, two concerts that were
      due to be part of the festival will still be going ahead: Sunburned Hand
      Of The Man (8 December) and Text Of Light (9 December), both at The
      Spitz venue in East London.

      *go to http://spitz.co.uk

      THE MV & EE MEDICINE SHOW + TAURPIS TULA + SAMARA LUBELSKI
      Hydra-headed package tour featuring three units peddling the finest in
      revenant avant folk forms. The MV & EE Medicine Show is Matt Valentine
      and Erika Elder; Taurpis Tula is Heather Leigh Murray (Charalambides,
      Scorces) and The Wire's very own David Keenan; Samara Lubelski is an
      original member of Tower Recordings. Dates: Glasgow Stereo, Kelvinhaugh
      Street, 13 December; Leeds The Fenton, Woodhouse Lane (w/ Vibracathedral
      Orchestra), 14 December; Brighton Marlborough Theatre, Princes Street
      (w/ Blood Stereo), 15 December; Oxford Port Mahon, St. Clements, 16
      December; Paris, France TBA, 18 December; London The Albany, Great
      Portland Street, 20 December

      CHRISTIAN MARCLAY: THE SOUNDS OF CHRISTMAS - LONDON
      The Sounds of Christmas is an annual project by Christian Marclay,
      pioneer of the experimental turntable movement and leading artist
      operating at the intersections of art and music. Reinventing this
      work-in-progress for London, Marclay will present his collection of over
      1,200 Christmas records as a publicly accessible archive, alongside
      projections of the record covers and footage of previous performances.
      On Friday and Saturday evenings, noted turntablists and DJs will create
      live remixes of their own selection from Marclay's Christmas records.
      These recorded performances will create a soundtrack for the space.
      Combining blatant sentimentality with vanguard experimentation, Marclay
      suggests that the categories distinguishing 'serious' music from its
      opposite are both arbitrary and arcane.

      10-22 December 2004, Tate Modern, North Lawn, 10.00-18.00
      Sunday-Thursday, 10.00-22.00 Friday-Saturday, £8 (£6 concessions)

      Admission to the exhibition is free, but booking required for live
      performances. To receive a full listing of performances please email
      lina@.... Co-produced with Electra
      (http://www.electra-productions.com) Supported by Arts Council England

      *go to http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/

      ATLANTIC WAVES FESTIVAL - LONDON
      until 7 December 2004
      Atlantic Waves 2004 returns to host the largest celebration of
      Portuguese music outside of Portugal itself. It'll feature many of
      Portugal's most distinguished artists performing a huge variety of
      music, ranging from contemporary fado to experimental electronica,
      alternative pop to ethno/folk and upfront club music. Artists, some
      performing in the UK for the first time, include Cristina Branco, Ana
      Sofia Varela, Carla Pires, British Apollo Saxophone Quartet, Paulo
      Raposo and Janek Schaefer and more. The festival takes place from 23
      September to 7 December at London's South Bank Centre, Union Chapel,
      Cargo and Spitz venues.

      *go to http://www.atlanticwaves.org.uk

      NB: With the October 2004 issue of The Wire, all the magazine's
      subscribers received a free copy of the 16 track CD, 'Exploratory Music
      From Portugal 04', which was specially compiled to coincide with the
      Atlantic Waves festival. The CD is still available to all new
      subscribers to the magazine as a back issue order.

      *go to http://www.thewire.co.uk/subscribe/index.php

      CONTEMPORARY MUSIC NETWORK - UK
      The Wire is sponsoring a number of tours in the UK Contemporary Music
      Network's 2004/5 programme. Full details are available direct from the
      Contemporary Music Network.

      *go to http://www.cmntours.org.uk

      3____________ THE WIRE ON RESONANCE 104.4 FM / www.resonancefm.com

      ON AIR: The mp3 and playlist from last week's show, broadcast on
      04/11/04, are now available online

      *go to http://www.thewire.co.uk/web/air.php

      This week's show, Thursday 11 November, will feature more exclusive
      highlights from The Wire's Adventures In Modern Music festival that took
      place at Chicago's Empty Bottle between 22-26 September 2004, and which
      featured Blevin Blectum, Keith Rowe & Axel Dorner, Oxbow, Boom Bip,
      Davis Redford Triad, Lasse Marhaug, Ssion, Gift Of Gab, Cantilever
      Rainbow, Paal Nilssen-Love & Ken Vandermark, Borbetomagus, Thomas
      Brinkmann, Entrance, Keith Fullerton Whitman, Sightings, Telefon Tel
      Aviv, Double Leopards, Noxagt, Xiu Xiu and Ghost.

      ABOUT: Since January 2003, The Wire has been hosting a weekly show of
      new music - The Wire Presents Adventures In Modern Music - on London's
      arts/community access station, Resonance FM. The show is broadcast
      across central London on 104.4 FM every Thursday, 9:30-11pm GMT, and
      repeated every Wednesday, 7-8:30am GMT, with simultaneous web streaming
      and full listings at http://www.resonancefm.com/ and archived at
      http://www.thewire.co.uk/web/air.php

      Email adventures@... for comments or if you'd like a weekly
      update on the show sent directly to your inbox.

      4____________ SUBSCRIBE & SHOP INFO

      SUBSCRIBE: Our latest cover mount CD - The Wire Tapper 12, a 40 track
      double CD - will be given away with all copies of issue 250 (December
      2004). To make sure you get your hands on a copy, subscribe now or ask
      your usual stockist to reserve a copy of the December issue for you. For
      details of how to subscribe:

      *go to http://www.thewire.co.uk/subscribe/index.php

      LIMITED EDITION T-SHIRT: Our ongoing series of specially commissioned,
      limited edition T-shirts continues. Tina Frank's 'Puppen Suppe' design
      is on sale now.

      *go to http://www.thewire.co.uk/shop/index.php

      That's the latest from us for now.

      Best wishes from all at THE WIRE