WRECK: People are Animals Too

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2004

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: no. 264: Animals Are People Too

      If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you;
      that is the principal difference between a dog and a man
      o Mark Twain

      "I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
      answer questions.
      I can't answer your question"
      o George W. Bush

      "Love turns, with a little indulgence to indifference or disgust.
      Hatred alone is immortal."
      o Wiliam Hazlitt, The Pleasure of Hating

      Its easy to understand why the cat has eclipsed the dog as modern
      America's favorite pet. People like pets
      to possess the same qualities they do. Catsare irresponsible and
      recognize no authority,
      yet are completely dependent on others for their material needs. Cats cannot
      be made to do anything useful. Cats are
      mean for the fun of it.
      * P. J. O'Rourke
      ~~~~~~~

      Bird Variations > Philip Perkins [1]
      Obere Schwyalp, Klöntal > Cyrill Schläpfer [1a]
      El Animal > Clorofila [2]
      No Birds > PiL [3]
      Animal Song > 8 oder 9 [4]
      I'd Love to be a Cowgirl (But I'm a Scared a Cows) > Carolina Cotton [5]
      Bzz Bzz Bzz > Jonathan Richman [6]
      Pig on Cow > Brad Dutz & John Holmes [7]
      Too Bad Cow > The Upsetters [8]
      Narayana's Cows > Daniel Kinetzy [9]
      Female Pig Herder > V/Vm [10]
      Yodeling Mule > Three Tobacco Tags [11]
      Lu Me Seccu [Mule Song] > Italian Folk Singers [12]
      Het Verdwaalde Lam [The Lost Lamb] > De Damkrakkertjes [13]
      My Old Cowpony & I > Tex Cochrane [14]
      La Horse > Howie B. vs Serge Gainsbourg [15]
      I'm A Little Horse > Bran Flakes [15a]
      I Hate Dogs > Erika Stucky [16]
      Prima Donna French Poodle > Tony Schwartz [17]
      Bulldog / Dachshund / Terrier
      Dog Calls > Howard Finster [18]
      Dog bite > Black Sifichi vs Black Dog vs a1 People [18a]
      Hurraydog 2001 > Birdie Num Num & the Spirit Squad [18b]
      My Dog is a Plumber > Dick Cavett [18c]
      Ol' Coyote > Wylie and the Wild West [19]
      Last Trak / Birds > Blevin Blectum [20]
      Birdie Song > Waterboys vs Little Annie [21]
      The Cuckoo Yodel > Eastside Dave & the Mountain Folk Band [22]
      Cackling Hen Blues > Riverside Ramblers [23]
      What the Birds Overheard > Metamatics [24]
      Bird Song > David Moore & Muhal Richard Abrams
      Get the Bird Flyin' > Glen Campbell [25]
      Blue Heron > Jack Collom [26]
      Hey There Little Insect > Jonathan Richman [27]
      Smiley the Grasshopper > Sarah Smith [28]
      The Fish Needs a Bike > Blurt [29]
      Shark's Callers > Laurent Ho as Carla Elves [30]
      Shark Circles > Andrew Duke [31]
      Electric Eels [in Half Light] > Rob Mazurek [32]
      Fish Heads > Barnes & Barnes [33]
      Baby Elephant Walk > Henry Mancini [34]

      [1] "A poet is a bird of unearthly excellence, who escapes from his
      celestial realm arrives in this world warbling." o Kahlil Gibran

      [1a] "Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said, "I think
      I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!"? o
      Bill Watterson // "['s Fahr Glüüt]" on CSR <www.csr-records.ch> is
      another in this series of incredibly enchanting soundscape CDs which
      are intoxicatingly representative sonic portraits of certain aspects
      of Swiss [vanshing] culture. "True Tone" volumes 1-5 including: ['s
      Glüüt vols. 1-2], [ 's Fahr Glüüt], [Les Sonailles] [CD 91522, 91532,
      91482, 91492] is a series of ambient recordings of, yes, the pastoral
      / pastaural Swiss scenery. What do the Alps, the pastures, the
      rolling hills sound like? They are alive and filled with the
      atmospherically pregnant sounds of intoxicating cow bells of the
      herds grazing the steep rolling pastures. While [Morgeluft] [CD
      91582] captures the sound of the lake Vierwaldstattersee, the lake
      which he lives near and which Luzern stretches along, 6-7:30 a.m., 6
      May 1990. You can picture Schläpfer tromping around the Alps in the
      thin air, sneaking up on the herds with his sound equipment. Clear
      and resonant as a - well - as a bell.

      [2] "No animal ever invented anything as bad as drunkenness - or so
      good as drink." o G. K. Chesterton // "Frontier Life" on Accretions
      <www.accretions.com> Pinned between improv, folk, noise, punk and a
      barbed wire fence separating us from them.

      [3] "A forest bird never wants a cage." Henrik Ibsen // "Second
      Edition" on Virgin vinyl, 1979. Came along at a perfect time to
      describe my panic, haze, existential euphoria and dread in NY as a
      long-hair wannabe punk who'd been living in the Midwest WAY too long.
      This along with Joy Division and New Order were the soundtracks that
      served as sonic heroin for month and monthsŠ The great thing about
      PiL was that it was great music that upset many many people at
      parties. I know, I tried to DJ parties in lieu of not meeting girls,
      women, or other attractorsŠ

      [4] "Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their
      affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal.
      Difficult standards for people to live up to." o Alfred A. Montapert
      // "Liebende Arme" on Austro Mechana, 1989. Imagine Kraftwerk driven
      through Tirol by Curt Jurgens and arguing with members from the Bonzo
      Dog Band and Van der Graaf Generator about where to pee and where to
      eat along the autobahn.

      [5] "Moo Moo how they scare meŠ" Carolina Cotton // "Yodel, Yodel,
      Yodel" on Binge <www.dagmar-anita-binge.de> Great label putting out
      great neglected obscure music[ians] like CC, an incredibly talented
      singer, yodeler, and songwriter.

      [6] "A fly may sting a stately horse and make him wince; but one is
      but an insect, and the other is a horse still." o Samuel Johnson //
      "Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers" on Berserkley, 1976. Great
      post-renovated rock and roll. Simple, eccentric, and poetic.

      [7] I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat
      us as equals. o Sir Winston Churchill // "My Bongos" on PF Mentum
      <www.pfmentum.com>. the party is not over and you are stepping on
      buttery popcorn with your bare feet. Where did all the beatniks go?
      Percussion played on the skins of your skull - from the inside.
      Weirdly moving.

      [8] "A publisher who writes is like a cow in a milk bar." o Arthur
      Koestler // "Dub / Original Bass Culture" on Metro
      <www.unionsquaremusic.co.uk> Very nice and handsome collection of
      some very vital mid-70s roots dub inc. Niney, Lee Perry, King Tubby,
      Prince Far I and Prince Jammy. <info@...> Perry
      pulls out all the stops in his-multi-sonic assault on dub. Known to
      fold in and sample cows mooing, yodeling, cow bells, explosionsŠ

      [9] "For almost 70 years the life insurance industry has been a smug
      sacred cow feeding the public a steady line of sacred bull." o Ralph
      Nader // "Kientzy Plays Johnson" on Pogus <www.pogus.com>
      Unbelievable how music based on its next of kind, mathematics, can
      actually sound warm and close to moving. Liner notes: "Narayana's
      Cows / This music, inspired by an Indian mathematician of the 14th
      century, and playable on any combination of instruments, is written
      on three staves: the complete melody, the reduced bass melody, and
      the drone. The first and one of the most often played interpretations
      was that of the German ensemble Ugly Culture, a trio of saxophone,
      guitar, and bass, but there have been many other trio versions, as
      well as versions by one, four and six instruments. Larger ensemble
      interpretations have also been performed by groups such as
      MusikFabrik and the Ives Ensemble. The present multi-track saxophone
      version is probably as rich and energetic as any of the large
      ensemble versions. The melody is played by three overdubbed sopranino
      saxophones in unison, the bass line is played by three baritones, and
      the drone is played by three altos. In the last section, however, the
      1 7th year of the problem, each line spreads out to three octaves
      with a new distribution of instruments. Now two sopraninos and one
      alto play the melody, two altos and one baritone play the drone, and
      two baritones and one contrabass cover the bass line. The final
      solution of the problem is further illuminated with slap tongue
      articulation."

      [10] Never try and teach a pig to sing: it's a waste of time, and it
      annoys the pig." o Robert A. Heinlein // "A Fat Cat Sampler" on Fat
      Cat. Excellent example of punk speculative noise and intellect. This
      piece is yet another assault on bad taste with barnyard evocations
      that will not only send the pigs home to roost, it will fry the bacon
      fat outta their useless brains.

      [11] "I swims in the Tagus all across at once, / and I rides on an
      ass or a mule, / and swears Portuguese, / and have got a diarrhea and
      bites from the mosquitoes. But what of that? / Comfort must not be
      expected by folks that go a pleasuring o Lord Byron // "American
      Yodeling: 1911-1946" on Trikont. Makers of intelligent and beautiful
      CD compilations that unearths forgotten music[s]. This is definitely
      one of their more inspired CDs and a perfect starter compilation on
      your way to appreciating the maligned yodel. Also featured in my
      book, YODEL-AY-EE-OOOO: The SECRET HISTORY of YODELING Around the
      WORLD [Routledge].

      [12] "A mule will labor ten years willingly and patiently for you,
      for the privilege of kicking you once." o William Faulkner

      [13] "Lambs are animals that smile while you're eating them." B/art
      // "Zingen 42 Bekende Kleuter- en Kinderliedjes" on EMI-Bovema. There
      is nothing as potentially annoying as huge choruses of singing
      children.

      [14] "I sit astride life like a bad rider on a horse. I only owe it
      to the horse's good nature that I am not thrown off at this very
      moment." o Ludwig Wittgenstein // "The Complete Canadian Yodel Song
      Sessions" on Cattle <www.dagmar-anita-binge.de>. Another forgotten
      Canadian cowboy who yodels in a pleasant manner.

      [15] "Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on
      people." WC Fields // "Cinemix" on Universal. Strange blend of young
      hipster tripsters remixing and reinterpreting forgotten soundtracks
      for an uneasy sometimes inspired instant but for the most part a
      project still waiting to reel.

      [15a] "Why, I'd horse-whip you if I had a horse." o Groucho Marx //
      "Bounces!" on Happytime <www.branflakes.com> Negativland meets the
      Ramones while committing Culturcide.

      [16] "A fly may sting a stately horse and make him wince; but one is
      but an insect, and the other is a horse still." o Samuel Johnson

      [17] "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog
      it's too dark to read." o Groucho Marx

      [18] "Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out
      and your dog would go in." o Mark Twain

      [18a] "To his dog, every man is Napoleon; hence the constant
      popularity of dogs." o Aldous Huxley

      [18b] "If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a
      sweaterŠ suggest that he wear a tail." o Fran Lebowitz

      [18c] "Ever consider what dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come
      back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken,
      pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on
      earth!" o Anne Tyler // "Free to BeŠ You & Me" Arista, 1972.
      Touchy-Feelie, feel-good PC songs - 'Parents are People', 'It's
      alright to Cry'Š - about how we are all equals and children at heart.
      Sung and written by a load of entertainment liberals in a kind of PBS
      smilie style. Actually some funny bits.

      [19] "When the coyotes are howlin', I know all is well in our part of
      the world." o Wylie Gustafson // "Ridin' the Hi-Line" on Rounder
      <www.rounder.com>

      [20] "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will
      drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for
      itself." o DH Lawrence // "Look! Magic Apple" on Praemedia
      <www.praemedia.com> curious blend of nature and anti-nature, of chaos
      and order, ...

      [21] "When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber." o Sir
      Winston Churchill

      [22] "Mountain Spirit" on Mountain Folk <www.mountainfolk.com>
      Mountain music and plenty of yodeling. Very exuberant PA yodeler with
      a fresh face and a mind that climbs the highest peaks Š

      [23] "If one cannot catch a bird of paradise, better take a wet hen."
      o Nikita S. Khrushchev // "Black & White Hillbilly Music" on Trikont.
      Less fascinating sonically and culturally than the Yodel compilation
      or some of their other collections but still worthwhile.

      [24] "FromDeathToPasswordsWhereYou'reAPaperAeroplane" on Duke98.
      great disc of mysterious sounds and poetry from Devon.

      [25] "The Greatest Stars of Folk Music" on Legacy. Also inc: Kingston
      Trio, Hoyt Axton, Brownie & Sonny, Oscar BrandŠ

      [26] "The blue heron was trotting thru the woods. Upon meeting a
      young woman he laid down his fish and stopperd her. Saying: "A trade
      - a fish for love in the scale of things, blushing, standing like a
      soldier and she circled around him to passŠ he picked a flower and
      grinnedŠ" Great combination of ornithology, poetry, storytelling and
      yodeling.

      [27] "What would be left of our tragedies if an insect were to present us his?"
      E.M. Cioran // "Back in Your Life" on Berserkley, 1979.

      [28] "The male grasshopper perches on the femaleís back when mating,
      which can last several hours. The female immediately lays her eggs in
      the soil. Her abdomen is highly flexible and can be extended like a
      telescope to more than double its normal length, allowing her to
      deposit the eggs as deep in the soil as possible. The eggs are
      wrapped in a spongy material, known as an ootheca. In spite of this
      protection, the eggs may be detected and preyed on by a variety of
      parasites, which lay their own eggs inside the grasshoppersí eggs. o
      ladywildlife.com // Great deceptive poem about the deceptive nature
      of naiveté. How our idealism is squashed by the realities imposed
      upon us.
      [29] "Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. Its their way
      of falling." Andre Gide // "Let There Be Blurt" on Salamander
      <www.slamanderrecords.com> <tedmilton.com>. Brilliance in clankerous
      harmony. Simplicity the secret, dada the weapon, iconoclasm the
      method.

      [30] "Microsoft is like the great white shark - a killing machine
      without soul or conscience that only knows its own hunger and
      appetites." o Mitchell Kertzman // "Soundtracks: The Tronica Project"
      on Uncivilized <wwwuncivilizedworld.com>

      [31] Remember, a dead fish can float downstream, but it takes a live
      one to swim upstream. o W.C. Fields // "Sprung" on Bip Hop
      <www.bip-hop.com> Brilliant synthetic apocalypse. His material
      continues to grow on me. Also check out his excellent "Take Nothing
      For Granted".

      [32] "Sweet & Vicious like Frankenstein" on Mego <www.mego.at>.
      Electric eels deep deep in a noisy treacherous ocean.

      [33] "Vox Populari Mix" on Jarring Effects
      <www.jarringeffects.free.fr>. MIX BY CATWEASEL
      <catweasl@...> in CA. Genius synthesis and thievery on the
      level of Negativland, Culturcide, KLF. This is a cold Ken Nordine or
      - better yet - some vapid documentary voice over reading of a Snoop
      Dogg "poem" which, divorced from all the beats and noise, sounds
      about as interesting as Dr. Seuss lobotomized and stuck in a
      moulinexŠ Bring on the flat 40 ounce. Where's the bubbles, man? Look
      rectally you rapper baron.

      [34] "The elephant has a thick skin, a head full of ivory, and as
      everyone who has seen a circus parade knows, proceeds best by
      grasping the tail." Adlai E. Stevenson // "Henry Mancini" Genius and
      fluff.

      ~~~~

      "Scott Muni is dead. Does that mean all the rest of you D.J.'s move
      up one space?"
      o Bradlay Wiseman
      Muni was perhaps the ultimate bad, full-of-himself
      with-no-apparent-justification FM DJ on WNEW-FM ["Where rock
      lives!"]. he used to do "Things from England", a great show to parody
      because while incredibly interesting exciting things were happening
      in the UK in the late 70s/early 80s he totally avoided anything new,
      young, relevant by playing things like Rick Wakeman's latest, Emerson
      Lake & Palmer's latest, new configurations of all dinosaur bands,
      Genesis liveŠ Oblivious to all culture, all veracity, all vitality -
      the perfect commercial FM radio DJ then.

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2000± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      <info@...>
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/>
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Soon, the unveiling of new juggernaut: <http://wreckthismess.com/>
      courtesy of Pavement Tulip, a genius stuck in the body of a Polish
      skier in Brooklyn's inner denouement.

      SDI > SELF DESTRUCTION INSURED >
      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL