Re: [thewire] question about european dvd players...

  • Kybosh
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 6, 2004
      On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 00:07:58 +0200, Fred Inklaar <opslag@...> wrote:

      > Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:49:33 +0200 schreef José María Bermejo:
      >> It is not legal, but yes, you can do it. Another option is to buy a
      >> multi-region dvd player. That's legal, but slightly more expensive.
      >
      > As far as I know, in the Netherlands it is legal to:
      > - make a DVD player region free by entering a code
      > - make a DVD player region free by adding a mod chip
      >
      > And illegal to:
      > - make a DVD player region free by re-programming the firmware

      And it's for the those reasons that almost all Phillips players play
      almost all regions - at least all the ones I've come across in each case
      respectively.

      I'm not sure they're very expensive compared t the Japanese models either.
      And as far as I know the Phillips Recorders allow similar freedom - though
      I've not bought one to test it yet.

      In fact Phillips are bearing up as avery ethical company in this respect -
      they stood alone against CD copy protection too - among the manufacturers
      that is.

      --
      Kybosh
    • Fred Inklaar
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6, 2004
        Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:15:05 -0700 schreef damon:
        > so is europe all one region? meaning if i do a dvd release will it work
        > to make a u.s. and euro version, or does it get more complex?

        Aha, so that's the question. I already found it odd to discuss DVD
        players on a music list.

        Yes, Europe is one region, but there's also an even bigger region:
        WORLD. That's region 0.
        Region 0 DVD's will play on all playerson all continents.

        The sub-divison in regions 1-6 was devised by the Movie publishers, who
        wanted to be able to release a movie on DVD in one region while still
        screening it in the theaters in others, without parallel import of
        DVD's affecting the box-office sales.
      • Ng Wei Chian
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 9, 2004
          Not sure if you guys can find this brand in the US and Europe, but Shinco players are excellent. It's a Chinese brand, and all their players are multi-code. I got mine here in Singapore for slightly less than US$60, and a look at the website (www.shinco.com) revealed that they're designed specially to play badly scratched discs....probably bearing in mind the amount of pirated stuff that gets hawked about in China. Anyway true to its word, it plays just about everything, whereas a friend's pricier Pioneer model failed.

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 12, 2004
            >And it's for the those reasons that almost all Phillips players play
            >almost all regions - at least all the ones I've come across in each case
            >respectively.

            Not the one I bought or the one a friend bought. And both that and my
            Philips VCR didn't work and had to be sent back. So when it went out of
            warranty I got a code off the net and made it region free. Well worth doing.

            Mark

            http://search.msn.com/