Re: [thewire] next question about european dvd players...

  • Jason Witherspoon
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
      At 4:15 PM -0700 10/5/04, damon wrote:
      >so is europe all one region? meaning if i do a dvd release will it work
      >to make a u.s. and euro version, or does it get more complex?
      >thanks,
      >damon

      If you're doing a release you want to play everywhere, just make it
      region 0 (plays anywhere).

      For maximum coverage, you'd want to release it as PAL region 0 & NTSC
      region 0. One of those two would play on any player anywhere.

      Here's a breakdown of the regions:

      http://www.tohokingdom.com/web_pages/dvd/region_faq.htm

      --
      Jason Witherspoon
      ---------

      "The real distinction of this Presidency is that, at its
      core, he is a very weak man. He projects himself as incredibly
      strong, but behind closed doors he is incapable of saying no to his
      biggest financial supporters and his coalition in the Oval Office.
      He's been shockingly malleable to Cheney and Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz
      and the whole New American Century bunch. He was rolled in the
      immediate aftermath of 9/11. He was too weak to resist it."
      "I'm not of the school that questions his intelligence.
      There are different kinds of intelligence, and it's arrogant for a
      person with one kind of intelligence to question someone with another
      kind. He certainly is a master at some things, and he has a
      following. He seeks strength in simplicity. But, in today's world,
      that's often a problem. I don't think that he's weak intellectually.
      I think that he is incurious.... But I think his weakness is a moral
      weakness. I think he is a bully, and, like all bullies, he's a coward
      when confronted with a force that he's fearful of. His reaction to
      the extravagant and unbelievably selfish wish list of the wealthy
      interest groups that put him in the White House is obsequious. The
      degree of obsequiousness that is involved in saying 'yes, yes, yes,
      yes, yes' to whatever these people want, no matter the damage and
      harm done to the nation as a whole -- that can come only from genuine
      moral cowardice. I don't see any other explanation for it, because
      it's not a question of principle. The only common denominator is each
      of the groups has a lot of money that they're willing to put in
      service to his political fortunes and their ferocious and unyielding
      pursuit of public policies that benefit them at the expense of the
      nation."

      --Al Gore on Dubya
    • Kybosh
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6, 2004
        On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 00:07:58 +0200, Fred Inklaar <opslag@...> wrote:

        > Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:49:33 +0200 schreef José María Bermejo:
        >> It is not legal, but yes, you can do it. Another option is to buy a
        >> multi-region dvd player. That's legal, but slightly more expensive.
        >
        > As far as I know, in the Netherlands it is legal to:
        > - make a DVD player region free by entering a code
        > - make a DVD player region free by adding a mod chip
        >
        > And illegal to:
        > - make a DVD player region free by re-programming the firmware

        And it's for the those reasons that almost all Phillips players play
        almost all regions - at least all the ones I've come across in each case
        respectively.

        I'm not sure they're very expensive compared t the Japanese models either.
        And as far as I know the Phillips Recorders allow similar freedom - though
        I've not bought one to test it yet.

        In fact Phillips are bearing up as avery ethical company in this respect -
        they stood alone against CD copy protection too - among the manufacturers
        that is.

        --
        Kybosh
      • Fred Inklaar
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6, 2004
          Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:15:05 -0700 schreef damon:
          > so is europe all one region? meaning if i do a dvd release will it work
          > to make a u.s. and euro version, or does it get more complex?

          Aha, so that's the question. I already found it odd to discuss DVD
          players on a music list.

          Yes, Europe is one region, but there's also an even bigger region:
          WORLD. That's region 0.
          Region 0 DVD's will play on all playerson all continents.

          The sub-divison in regions 1-6 was devised by the Movie publishers, who
          wanted to be able to release a movie on DVD in one region while still
          screening it in the theaters in others, without parallel import of
          DVD's affecting the box-office sales.
        • Ng Wei Chian
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2004
            Not sure if you guys can find this brand in the US and Europe, but Shinco players are excellent. It's a Chinese brand, and all their players are multi-code. I got mine here in Singapore for slightly less than US$60, and a look at the website (www.shinco.com) revealed that they're designed specially to play badly scratched discs....probably bearing in mind the amount of pirated stuff that gets hawked about in China. Anyway true to its word, it plays just about everything, whereas a friend's pricier Pioneer model failed.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 12, 2004
              >And it's for the those reasons that almost all Phillips players play
              >almost all regions - at least all the ones I've come across in each case
              >respectively.

              Not the one I bought or the one a friend bought. And both that and my
              Philips VCR didn't work and had to be sent back. So when it went out of
              warranty I got a code off the net and made it region free. Well worth doing.

              Mark

              http://search.msn.com/