Re: [thewire] question about european dvd players...

  • José María Bermejo
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
      It is not legal, but yes, you can do it. Another option is to buy a
      multi-region dvd player. That's legal, but slightly more expensive.

      On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:29:52 +0200, Fred Inklaar <opslag@...> wrote:

      > Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:02:22 -0700 schreef damon:
      > > can you you watch dvds made in the u.s. on them?
      >
      > No, different region code. It is quite simple however to make most DVD
      > players region free, usually this can be done by the shop where you buy
      > it for a surcharge.

      José María Bermejo
      www.20six.co.uk/srlansky (mi blog)
      www.supernovapop.com
    • Fred Inklaar
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
        Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:49:33 +0200 schreef José María Bermejo:
        > It is not legal, but yes, you can do it. Another option is to buy a
        > multi-region dvd player. That's legal, but slightly more expensive.

        As far as I know, in the Netherlands it is legal to:
        - make a DVD player region free by entering a code
        - make a DVD player region free by adding a mod chip

        And illegal to:
        - make a DVD player region free by re-programming the firmware

        > On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:29:52 +0200, Fred Inklaar <opslag@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:02:22 -0700 schreef damon:
        >>> can you you watch dvds made in the u.s. on them?
        >>
        >> No, different region code. It is quite simple however to make most DVD
        >> players region free, usually this can be done by the shop where you buy
        >> it for a surcharge.
      • damon
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
          so is europe all one region? meaning if i do a dvd release will it work
          to make a u.s. and euro version, or does it get more complex?
          thanks,
          damon
        • José María Bermejo
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
            Europe is Region 2. But you can make a 0 region DVD that will play in
            every DVD player around the world. I don't know about specific
            copyright laws regarding Region 0 dvds, but i've seen musical dvds
            released that way.

            On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:15:05 -0700, damon
            <damon@...> wrote:

            > so is europe all one region? meaning if i do a dvd release will it work
            > to make a u.s. and euro version, or does it get more complex?
            > thanks,
            > damon

            José María Bermejo
            www.interior-noche.tk (mi blog)
            www.supernovapop.com
          • Jason Witherspoon
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
              At 4:15 PM -0700 10/5/04, damon wrote:
              >so is europe all one region? meaning if i do a dvd release will it work
              >to make a u.s. and euro version, or does it get more complex?
              >thanks,
              >damon

              If you're doing a release you want to play everywhere, just make it
              region 0 (plays anywhere).

              For maximum coverage, you'd want to release it as PAL region 0 & NTSC
              region 0. One of those two would play on any player anywhere.

              Here's a breakdown of the regions:

              http://www.tohokingdom.com/web_pages/dvd/region_faq.htm

              --
              Jason Witherspoon
              ---------

              "The real distinction of this Presidency is that, at its
              core, he is a very weak man. He projects himself as incredibly
              strong, but behind closed doors he is incapable of saying no to his
              biggest financial supporters and his coalition in the Oval Office.
              He's been shockingly malleable to Cheney and Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz
              and the whole New American Century bunch. He was rolled in the
              immediate aftermath of 9/11. He was too weak to resist it."
              "I'm not of the school that questions his intelligence.
              There are different kinds of intelligence, and it's arrogant for a
              person with one kind of intelligence to question someone with another
              kind. He certainly is a master at some things, and he has a
              following. He seeks strength in simplicity. But, in today's world,
              that's often a problem. I don't think that he's weak intellectually.
              I think that he is incurious.... But I think his weakness is a moral
              weakness. I think he is a bully, and, like all bullies, he's a coward
              when confronted with a force that he's fearful of. His reaction to
              the extravagant and unbelievably selfish wish list of the wealthy
              interest groups that put him in the White House is obsequious. The
              degree of obsequiousness that is involved in saying 'yes, yes, yes,
              yes, yes' to whatever these people want, no matter the damage and
              harm done to the nation as a whole -- that can come only from genuine
              moral cowardice. I don't see any other explanation for it, because
              it's not a question of principle. The only common denominator is each
              of the groups has a lot of money that they're willing to put in
              service to his political fortunes and their ferocious and unyielding
              pursuit of public policies that benefit them at the expense of the
              nation."

              --Al Gore on Dubya
            • Kybosh
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 6, 2004
                On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 00:07:58 +0200, Fred Inklaar <opslag@...> wrote:

                > Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:49:33 +0200 schreef José María Bermejo:
                >> It is not legal, but yes, you can do it. Another option is to buy a
                >> multi-region dvd player. That's legal, but slightly more expensive.
                >
                > As far as I know, in the Netherlands it is legal to:
                > - make a DVD player region free by entering a code
                > - make a DVD player region free by adding a mod chip
                >
                > And illegal to:
                > - make a DVD player region free by re-programming the firmware

                And it's for the those reasons that almost all Phillips players play
                almost all regions - at least all the ones I've come across in each case
                respectively.

                I'm not sure they're very expensive compared t the Japanese models either.
                And as far as I know the Phillips Recorders allow similar freedom - though
                I've not bought one to test it yet.

                In fact Phillips are bearing up as avery ethical company in this respect -
                they stood alone against CD copy protection too - among the manufacturers
                that is.

                --
                Kybosh
              • Fred Inklaar
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 6, 2004
                  Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:15:05 -0700 schreef damon:
                  > so is europe all one region? meaning if i do a dvd release will it work
                  > to make a u.s. and euro version, or does it get more complex?

                  Aha, so that's the question. I already found it odd to discuss DVD
                  players on a music list.

                  Yes, Europe is one region, but there's also an even bigger region:
                  WORLD. That's region 0.
                  Region 0 DVD's will play on all playerson all continents.

                  The sub-divison in regions 1-6 was devised by the Movie publishers, who
                  wanted to be able to release a movie on DVD in one region while still
                  screening it in the theaters in others, without parallel import of
                  DVD's affecting the box-office sales.
                • Ng Wei Chian
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 9, 2004
                    Not sure if you guys can find this brand in the US and Europe, but Shinco players are excellent. It's a Chinese brand, and all their players are multi-code. I got mine here in Singapore for slightly less than US$60, and a look at the website (www.shinco.com) revealed that they're designed specially to play badly scratched discs....probably bearing in mind the amount of pirated stuff that gets hawked about in China. Anyway true to its word, it plays just about everything, whereas a friend's pricier Pioneer model failed.

                    It is not legal, but yes, you can do it. Another option is to buy a
                    multi-region dvd player. That's legal, but slightly more expensive.

                    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:29:52 +0200, Fred Inklaar <opslag@...> wrote:

                    > Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:02:22 -0700 schreef damon:
                    > > can you you watch dvds made in the u.s. on them?
                    >
                    > No, different region code. It is quite simple however to make most DVD
                    > players region free, usually this can be done by the shop where you buy
                    > it for a surcharge.

                    José María Bermejo
                    www.20six.co.uk/srlansky (mi blog)
                    www.supernovapop.com

                  • mark winkelmannn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 12, 2004
                      >And it's for the those reasons that almost all Phillips players play
                      >almost all regions - at least all the ones I've come across in each case
                      >respectively.

                      Not the one I bought or the one a friend bought. And both that and my
                      Philips VCR didn't work and had to be sent back. So when it went out of
                      warranty I got a code off the net and made it region free. Well worth doing.

                      Mark

                      http://search.msn.com/