Re: [thewire] question about european dvd players...

  • Martin Johansson
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
      Yes but you need some kind of code to play u.s. dvds on european players.

      /Martin

      damon wrote:

      > can you you watch dvds made in the u.s. on them?
      >
      > damon smith
      > http://www.balancepointacoustics.com
      >
      > recently released:
      > bpa 008 "the happymakers"
      > wolfgang fuchs/jacob lindsay/damon smith/serge baghdassarians/boris
      > baltschun
      >
      > bpa 005 "sense of hearing"
      > carol genetti/damon smith + fred lonberg-holm
      >
      > bpa 007 "zero plus"
      > phillip wachsmann/martin blume/aurora josephson/jacob lindsay/damon
      > smith
      >
      > bpa 006 "voice imitator"
      > frank gratkowski/jerome bryerton/damon smith
      >

      > bpa 004 "desert sweets"
      > biggi vinkeloe/mark weaver/damon smith
      >
      > bpa 003 "three october meetings"
      > wolfgang fuchs/jerome bryerton/damon smith
      >
      > also available:
      > bpa 001 "mirrors-broken, but no dust"
      > peter kowald/damon smith
      >
      > bpa 002 "the sale of tickets for money was abolished"
      > tony bevan/damon smith/scott r.looney

      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
      > click here
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129b7eqti/M=315388.5455589.6541277.2248467/D=grplch/S=1705023975:HM/EXP=1097093345/A=2372352/R=0/SIG=12i7vpj02/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40FF1004SS>

    • José María Bermejo
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
        It is not legal, but yes, you can do it. Another option is to buy a
        multi-region dvd player. That's legal, but slightly more expensive.

        On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:29:52 +0200, Fred Inklaar <opslag@...> wrote:

        > Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:02:22 -0700 schreef damon:
        > > can you you watch dvds made in the u.s. on them?
        >
        > No, different region code. It is quite simple however to make most DVD
        > players region free, usually this can be done by the shop where you buy
        > it for a surcharge.

        José María Bermejo
        www.20six.co.uk/srlansky (mi blog)
        www.supernovapop.com
      • Fred Inklaar
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
          Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:49:33 +0200 schreef José María Bermejo:
          > It is not legal, but yes, you can do it. Another option is to buy a
          > multi-region dvd player. That's legal, but slightly more expensive.

          As far as I know, in the Netherlands it is legal to:
          - make a DVD player region free by entering a code
          - make a DVD player region free by adding a mod chip

          And illegal to:
          - make a DVD player region free by re-programming the firmware

          > On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:29:52 +0200, Fred Inklaar <opslag@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:02:22 -0700 schreef damon:
          >>> can you you watch dvds made in the u.s. on them?
          >>
          >> No, different region code. It is quite simple however to make most DVD
          >> players region free, usually this can be done by the shop where you buy
          >> it for a surcharge.
        • damon
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
            so is europe all one region? meaning if i do a dvd release will it work
            to make a u.s. and euro version, or does it get more complex?
            thanks,
            damon
          • José María Bermejo
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
              Europe is Region 2. But you can make a 0 region DVD that will play in
              every DVD player around the world. I don't know about specific
              copyright laws regarding Region 0 dvds, but i've seen musical dvds
              released that way.

              On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:15:05 -0700, damon
              <damon@...> wrote:

              > so is europe all one region? meaning if i do a dvd release will it work
              > to make a u.s. and euro version, or does it get more complex?
              > thanks,
              > damon

              José María Bermejo
              www.interior-noche.tk (mi blog)
              www.supernovapop.com
            • Jason Witherspoon
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
                At 4:15 PM -0700 10/5/04, damon wrote:
                >so is europe all one region? meaning if i do a dvd release will it work
                >to make a u.s. and euro version, or does it get more complex?
                >thanks,
                >damon

                If you're doing a release you want to play everywhere, just make it
                region 0 (plays anywhere).

                For maximum coverage, you'd want to release it as PAL region 0 & NTSC
                region 0. One of those two would play on any player anywhere.

                Here's a breakdown of the regions:

                http://www.tohokingdom.com/web_pages/dvd/region_faq.htm

                --
                Jason Witherspoon
                ---------

                "The real distinction of this Presidency is that, at its
                core, he is a very weak man. He projects himself as incredibly
                strong, but behind closed doors he is incapable of saying no to his
                biggest financial supporters and his coalition in the Oval Office.
                He's been shockingly malleable to Cheney and Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz
                and the whole New American Century bunch. He was rolled in the
                immediate aftermath of 9/11. He was too weak to resist it."
                "I'm not of the school that questions his intelligence.
                There are different kinds of intelligence, and it's arrogant for a
                person with one kind of intelligence to question someone with another
                kind. He certainly is a master at some things, and he has a
                following. He seeks strength in simplicity. But, in today's world,
                that's often a problem. I don't think that he's weak intellectually.
                I think that he is incurious.... But I think his weakness is a moral
                weakness. I think he is a bully, and, like all bullies, he's a coward
                when confronted with a force that he's fearful of. His reaction to
                the extravagant and unbelievably selfish wish list of the wealthy
                interest groups that put him in the White House is obsequious. The
                degree of obsequiousness that is involved in saying 'yes, yes, yes,
                yes, yes' to whatever these people want, no matter the damage and
                harm done to the nation as a whole -- that can come only from genuine
                moral cowardice. I don't see any other explanation for it, because
                it's not a question of principle. The only common denominator is each
                of the groups has a lot of money that they're willing to put in
                service to his political fortunes and their ferocious and unyielding
                pursuit of public policies that benefit them at the expense of the
                nation."

                --Al Gore on Dubya
              • Kybosh
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 6, 2004
                  On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 00:07:58 +0200, Fred Inklaar <opslag@...> wrote:

                  > Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:49:33 +0200 schreef José María Bermejo:
                  >> It is not legal, but yes, you can do it. Another option is to buy a
                  >> multi-region dvd player. That's legal, but slightly more expensive.
                  >
                  > As far as I know, in the Netherlands it is legal to:
                  > - make a DVD player region free by entering a code
                  > - make a DVD player region free by adding a mod chip
                  >
                  > And illegal to:
                  > - make a DVD player region free by re-programming the firmware

                  And it's for the those reasons that almost all Phillips players play
                  almost all regions - at least all the ones I've come across in each case
                  respectively.

                  I'm not sure they're very expensive compared t the Japanese models either.
                  And as far as I know the Phillips Recorders allow similar freedom - though
                  I've not bought one to test it yet.

                  In fact Phillips are bearing up as avery ethical company in this respect -
                  they stood alone against CD copy protection too - among the manufacturers
                  that is.

                  --
                  Kybosh
                • Fred Inklaar
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 6, 2004
                    Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:15:05 -0700 schreef damon:
                    > so is europe all one region? meaning if i do a dvd release will it work
                    > to make a u.s. and euro version, or does it get more complex?

                    Aha, so that's the question. I already found it odd to discuss DVD
                    players on a music list.

                    Yes, Europe is one region, but there's also an even bigger region:
                    WORLD. That's region 0.
                    Region 0 DVD's will play on all playerson all continents.

                    The sub-divison in regions 1-6 was devised by the Movie publishers, who
                    wanted to be able to release a movie on DVD in one region while still
                    screening it in the theaters in others, without parallel import of
                    DVD's affecting the box-office sales.
                  • Ng Wei Chian
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 9, 2004
                      Not sure if you guys can find this brand in the US and Europe, but Shinco players are excellent. It's a Chinese brand, and all their players are multi-code. I got mine here in Singapore for slightly less than US$60, and a look at the website (www.shinco.com) revealed that they're designed specially to play badly scratched discs....probably bearing in mind the amount of pirated stuff that gets hawked about in China. Anyway true to its word, it plays just about everything, whereas a friend's pricier Pioneer model failed.

                      It is not legal, but yes, you can do it. Another option is to buy a
                      multi-region dvd player. That's legal, but slightly more expensive.

                      On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:29:52 +0200, Fred Inklaar <opslag@...> wrote:

                      > Op Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:02:22 -0700 schreef damon:
                      > > can you you watch dvds made in the u.s. on them?
                      >
                      > No, different region code. It is quite simple however to make most DVD
                      > players region free, usually this can be done by the shop where you buy
                      > it for a surcharge.

                      José María Bermejo
                      www.20six.co.uk/srlansky (mi blog)
                      www.supernovapop.com

                    • mark winkelmannn
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 12, 2004
                        >And it's for the those reasons that almost all Phillips players play
                        >almost all regions - at least all the ones I've come across in each case
                        >respectively.

                        Not the one I bought or the one a friend bought. And both that and my
                        Philips VCR didn't work and had to be sent back. So when it went out of
                        warranty I got a code off the net and made it region free. Well worth doing.

                        Mark

                        http://search.msn.com/