On Land, state of 'Wire'

  • Simon Fay
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2004
      Strange to see 'On Land' cited by a few folk as
      crucial to their development - I've never heard it
      praised by any of the self-appointed critics, even Eno
      himself doesn't seem to have much realised what he'd
      done, apparently preferring for example to do crap
      synthesised facsimiles of church bells.

      Nearly a year since I've read 'Wire' mag itself. Rob
      Young still there? Still full of skinny alt.Yanks and
      elder avant-academe-statesmen?

      SF

    • michael jackson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
        i recall hearing ""On Land" in the early 80s around the time I was checking
        out TG, Maurizio Bianchi
        NWW, P16.D4 & the philosophies of John Cage. My epiphanie came when I
        discovered a VOX LP
        of "Musique Concret" w/ pieces by Schaeffer, Phillipot, Ferrarri, Mache, et.
        al. Imagine my surprise that other people had done what I had set out to do
        before my father was born. From here, I was
        led to Stockhausen. Ligeti, Berio, & Davidovsky before I turned twenty.
        Braxton, Dolphy, Coltrane
        & the AACM had sewn their seeds at this point as well.

        So what of Eno today ? Is his recent work worth a listen ?

        ciao, michael j