on land

  • Steven Wainwright
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2004
      I hold 'On Land' solely responsible for my interest in music, discovering the LP in my friend's Uncle's collection as an 11 yr old. I remember the diagram on the sleeve reverse of a three-speaker set-up, which I presume must have been dropped for the reissues!

      Anybody else pinpoint a specific record as an epiphany?

      > reissue? i've not
      > heard 'on land' in over a decade and sounds fabulous, hands down my
      > favourite brian album from that era.

    • Andrew Cox
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 29, 2004
        Wednesday, September 29, 2004, 9:49:05 AM, Steven wrote:

        > Anybody else pinpoint a specific record as an epiphany?

        1975 (I was 14). The BBC broadcast the concert from which Tangerine
        Dream's Ricochet is taken. I'd never heard anything like it before.
        I'd been messing around with an old reel-to-reel tape recorder,
        speeding things up, slowing them down, overdubbing them, etc., but I'd
        never thought that this could be considered as music. Shortly
        afterwards I heard one of Stockhausen's Klavierstuck in a school music
        lesson, which was equally revelatory. These pieces opened up a whole
        new world, and gave me "permission" to experiment.
      • batolav2000
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 29, 2004
          not land but sea; "La Mer" Charles Trenet;
          it was a 78 & i played it repeatedly when my parents were not around.
          followed years later by Folkways recordings of Woody Guthrie & Snooks
          Eaglin.
        • spelias@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 29, 2004
            In a message dated 9/29/04 4:59:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
            thewire@... writes:

            << Wednesday, September 29, 2004, 9:49:05 AM, Steven wrote:

            > Anybody else pinpoint a specific record as an epiphany?

            Fripp and Eno's "No Pussyfooting".
            A high school friend had been refusing to play it for me, claiming the timing
            was not right--we were only able to get together in daylight hours.
            After several weeks of pleading I got him to put it on.
            It opened my ears to a whole new idea of sound.
            Fripp's first concerts at The Kitchen in NYC were similarly revelatory.
          • Gary Atkins
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
              > > Anybody else pinpoint a specific record as an epiphany?

              From childhood, the soundtrack from "The Jungle Book" stands out; from the
              late-teen years, the "Music & Rhythm" WOMAD compilation opened my brain
              right up; and "Pay It All Back, Vol. 1" delivered the knock-out blow in
              1984. The last 20 years have seen several more "moments", but I've already
              pluralized "record" and "epiphany"...Thanks.

              -G

            • Kevin Hankey
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
                EVOL by sonic youth... I'd not really heard anything quite like it before. There have been a lot of mammoth moments, but that was a biggie.

                k/

              • John Farrar
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
                  Eight Miles High - The Byrds in '65

                  John F.

                • Ducky Fresh
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
                    Does anyone have an Estenburia record for sale or know where I can actually find one. E-bay gots nothing.

                    They are on Japan Sessions label and have Yoshimi.

                    :-)

                    Julian
                    www.killshaman.com

                    Gary Atkins <gatki@...> wrote:
                    > > Anybody else pinpoint a specific record as an epiphany?

                    From childhood, the soundtrack from "The Jungle Book" stands out; from the