ancient chinese guitar

  • sarah-michelle geller
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2004
      what's the name of the ancient chinese instrument played by the old guy
      during the first fight of 'hero' (i hope someone here has seen this film)?
      it looks a bit like a lap-guitar.

      if someone knows what i'm talking about, could they also recommend good
      recordings featuring this instrument.

    • Keith Berry
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
        not seen the film, but sounds like it could be a biwa or a
        tsugaru-jamisen, a traditional plucked and strummed stringed instrument.

        have a look at albums by Michihiro Sato, he's worked with John Zorn
        and is a master at what I think you are after.

        use this link for albums of his:
        http://www.forcedexposure.com/bin/search.pl?search_string=Sato+Michihiro&searchfield=artist

        all the best
        Keith Berry

        http://www.inbetweensilence.com/

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
          i did a google image search of the two instruments you suggested and it
          appears to be neither.

          the instrument looked like a guitar neck 40cms in length, 15cm in width and
          was played by being strummed and plucked as it sat on the player's lap.

        • slbush@beast.amd.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
            it's a koto - haven't been following this thread, so apologies if you've already received a response.

            /sb

            i did a google image search of the two instruments you suggested and it
            appears to be neither.

            the instrument looked like a guitar neck 40cms in length, 15cm in width and
            was played by being strummed and plucked as it sat on the player's lap.

            > Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:33:38 -0000
            > From: "Keith Berry" <keithberryuk1@...>
            >Subject: Re: ancient chinese guitar
            >
            >not seen the film, but sounds like it could be a biwa or a
            >tsugaru-jamisen, a traditional plucked and strummed stringed
            >instrument.
            >
            >have a look at albums by Michihiro Sato, he's worked with John Zorn and
            >is a master at what I think you are after.
            >
            >use this link for albums of his:
            >http://www.forcedexposure.com/bin/search.pl?search_string=Sato+Michihir
            >o&searchfield=artist
            >
            >all the best
            >Keith Berry
            >
            >http://www.inbetweensilence.com/
            >

            > > what's the name of the ancient chinese instrument played by the old
            > > guy during the first fight of 'hero' (i hope someone here has seen
            > > this
            >film)?
            > > it looks a bit like a lap-guitar.
            > >
            > > if someone knows what i'm talking about, could they also recommend
            > > good recordings featuring this instrument.

            >-

          • sarah-michelle geller
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
              it's a guqin !!

              http://guqin.51.net/jpe/812z.jpeg

              now.....can anyone recommend any guqin music....?

            • Kraig Grady
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
                koto is a Japanese instrument and it is a piece of curve hollowed out
                oak with strings suspended around the curvature of the "trunk"