Re: free latin jazz?

  • Patrick Carey
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
      >>A lot of my favorite latin stuff isn't strictly latin jazz, but hard
      >>salsa/boogaloo that veers into jazzier or more "out" territories.
      >>Will compile a shortlist if anyone seems interested--

      >Johnny Colon _Boogaloo Blues_
      >Joe Cuba _Bustin' Out_
      >Fania All-Stars _Latin-Soul-Rock_
      >Orchestra Harlow _El Exigente_ (or _Everybody's
      >Got Something to Hide Except for Me & My Monkey_)
      >King Nando _Shing-a-Ling with King Nando & his Orchestra_
      >Latinaires _Camel Walk_
      >Sabu Martinez _Afro Temple_
      >Louie Ramirez _Ali Baba_
      >Pete Rodríguez y su Conjunto _Latin Boogaloo_
      >Bobby Valentin _Let's Turn On/Arrebatarnos_

      Much appreciated. I've heard the Fania All-Stars, Latinaires,
      and Sabu Martinez, but will give the others a spin when time/
      money permit...

      >Just as almost all of the above have a dispensable ballad
      >or two, they also have numerous smoking descargas & son
      >montuños (my favorite styles).

      Hey, there has to be a balance. If more records were solid
      *all* the way through, our wallets would constantly be empty. :)

      >I've left off amazing bands like Sapo, Seguida, Chango, Nico
      >Gomez, Black Sugar, & Tierra coz they're way more Latin rock--
      >but they're all firmly rooted enough that they'd probably make
      >a good transition from a rockist stance to the hard salsa/
      >boogaloo bands above.

      Also heard Gomez (P-Vine), Black Sugar & Chango.

      >Good sources for this stuff:
      >http://www.dustygroove.com

      Have used them for years, at least outside of ordering direct
      from Brazil, Japan etc., which is always cheaper.

      >http://www.descarga.com

      Know the site, but haven't ordered...

      >Hope that helps!

      Yes, thanks.

      -Patrick

      NP: Lajkó Félix és bandája - "Vox Naturalis"