Redux: free latin jazz?

  • pm.carey@utoronto.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2004
      Thought I'd try this post again...

      * Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@...>:
      >Aw heck yeah. I'd recommend picking up a boatload of Eddie Palmieri
      >& Ray Barretto records first. Pretty much everything both of them
      >did from '67-'75 is amazing. If you want really OUT THERE, start
      >w/Palmieri's Live @ the University of Puerto Rico.

      >A lot of my favorite latin stuff isn't strictly latin jazz, but hard
      >salsa/boogaloo that veers into jazzier or more "out" territories.
      >Will compile a shortlist if anyone seems interested--

      Jason,

      Knowing some of your music interests from Kozmi, downtempo & elsewhere
      I would certainly be interested in a shortlist, as well as your top
      2 or 3 Palmieri & Barretto LPs (avail. on CD) from the above period.

      -Patrick

      NP: V.I.P. - "Ekipa Stigla"
    • giles thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2004
        I wonder if this would be the same Barretto i saw performing at a
        society wedding party near Paris in 1994. I remember it because I'd
        performed earlier that night for this wedding & i was sitting in the
        bath at the top of this huge chateau; i'd decided to skip the rest of
        the party & go to bed when this music started coming through the ancient
        plumbing & into the bath; it was incredible; it made me go down & rejoin
        the party; i think it was a quartet. they were great, all ancient, i
        think he died recently.

        pm.carey@... wrote:

        > Thought I'd try this post again...
        >

        > At 9:29 PM +0300 8/25/04, sarah-michelle geller wrote:
        > >checking out jazz releases on amazon.com, i came across 'garvey's ghost'
        > >by max roach and wondered - does free LATIN jazz exist?
        >
        > * Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@...>:
        > >Aw heck yeah. I'd recommend picking up a boatload of Eddie Palmieri
        > >& Ray Barretto records first. Pretty much everything both of them
        > >did from '67-'75 is amazing. If you want really OUT THERE, start
        > >w/Palmieri's Live @ the University of Puerto Rico.
        >
        > >A lot of my favorite latin stuff isn't strictly latin jazz, but hard
        > >salsa/boogaloo that veers into jazzier or more "out" territories.
        > >Will compile a shortlist if anyone seems interested--
        >
        > Jason,
        >
        > Knowing some of your music interests from Kozmi, downtempo & elsewhere
        > I would certainly be interested in a shortlist, as well as your top
        > 2 or 3 Palmieri & Barretto LPs (avail. on CD) from the above period.
        >

        > -Patrick
        >

        > NP: V.I.P. - "Ekipa Stigla"

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rlrvma/M=273541.4247512.5496808.2248467/D=grplch/S=1705023975:HM/EXP=1094543374/A=2061551/R=0/SIG=11sr5b9n1/*http://launch.yahoo.com/artist/videos.asp?artistID=1001301>

      • Jason Witherspoon
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2004
          >At 9:29 PM +0300 8/25/04, sarah-michelle geller wrote:
          >>checking out jazz releases on amazon.com, i came across 'garvey's ghost'
          >>by max roach and wondered - does free LATIN jazz exist?
          >
          >* Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@...>:
          >>Aw heck yeah. I'd recommend picking up a boatload of Eddie Palmieri
          >>& Ray Barretto records first. Pretty much everything both of them
          >>did from '67-'75 is amazing. If you want really OUT THERE, start
          >>w/Palmieri's Live @ the University of Puerto Rico.
          >
          >>A lot of my favorite latin stuff isn't strictly latin jazz, but hard
          >>salsa/boogaloo that veers into jazzier or more "out" territories.
          >>Will compile a shortlist if anyone seems interested--
          >
          >Jason,
          >
          >Knowing some of your music interests from Kozmi, downtempo & elsewhere
          >I would certainly be interested in a shortlist, as well as your top
          >2 or 3 Palmieri & Barretto LPs (avail. on CD) from the above period.
          >
          >-Patrick

          Okay, lemme see what I can do here off the top of my head:

          Johnny Colon _Boogaloo Blues_
          Joe Cuba _Bustin' Out_
          Fania All-Stars _Latin-Soul-Rock_
          Orchestra Harlow _El Exigente_ (or _Everybody's
          Got Something to Hide Except for Me & My Monkey_)
          King Nando _Shing-a-Ling with King Nando & his Orchestra_
          Latinaires _Camel Walk_
          Sabu Martinez _Afro Temple_
          Louie Ramirez _Ali Baba_
          Pete RodrĂ­guez y su Conjunto _Latin Boogaloo_
          Bobby Valentin _Let's Turn On/Arrebatarnos_

          I've given my favorite album of the moment from
          most of my favorite artists in the genre, which
          should be a good jumping off point. Just as
          almost all of the above have a dispensable ballad
          or two, they also have numerous smoking descargas
          & son montuños (my favorite styles).

          I've left off amazing bands like Sapo, Seguida,
          Chango, Nico Gomez, Black Sugar, & Tierra coz
          they're way more Latin rock-- but they're all
          firmly rooted enough that they'd probably make a
          good transition from a rockist stance to the hard
          salsa/boogaloo bands above.

          Good sources for this stuff:

          http://www.dustygroove.com

          http://www.descarga.com

          Hope that helps!

          --
          Jason Witherspoon
          ---------

          "If the rebellion could force us to forgo, or
          postpone a national election, it might fairly
          claim to have already conquered and ruined us."

          --Abraham Lincoln,
          commenting on why he chose not to postpone
          elections in the midst of the Civil War

          http://www.americanprogress.org