WRECK: Haunted Hipsterisms

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2004

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: no. 261: Haunted Hipsterisms

      Maandag, 12 Juli 2004* (17.00 to 19.00)

      "Šthere wasn't much talk of astrology. There was talk of astrology?
      Astrology was the consecration of the homocentric universe. Astrology
      went further than saying that the stars were all about us. Astrology
      said that the stars were all about me."
      o Martin Amis, "The Information"

      "The bugle is a strange anomaly like yodelling. It IS a musical
      instrument but is often played by military or used as a hunting
      signal, start of a sports event ot of course a funeral. And now
      there are so many military deaths the Army has contracted to make a
      device to slip into a bugle which plays the taps even if you don't
      know how to play the bugle (because there aren't enough bugle players
      for all the funerals?)"
      o Gen Ken <www.generatorsoundart.org>

      ~~~~~~~~

      Wreck This Mess ID Generique > Re-engaged by John Schnall
      The Haunted Ballroom > V/Vm [1]
      DuoSolos > Brad Dutz vs John Holmes [2]
      Legends > Gustavo Aguilar Get Libre Collective [3]
      Strange Feeling > Tim Buckley [4]
      Pig on Cow > Brad Dutz vs John Holmes [2]
      Maeitijds Joun (Ier) > Jabik [5]
      5 > Melanie Auclair [6]
      Freezer > Oscar [7]
      Stop This World > Mose Allison [8]
      Hasty Banana > R. Stevie Moore [9]
      Private Life Dub) > Grace Jones vs Sly & Robbie [10]
      Let's All Make A Bomb > Heaven 17 [11]
      Government Killed the Party > Interlope [12]
      Underground > Manasseh meets the Equalizer [13]
      On the Beat Sound > Little Axe [14]
      Papa Was a Rolling Stone > Temptations [15]
      Dogbite > Black Sifichi vs Black Dog vs C-Pij Obscura [16]
      Political Science > Randy Newman [17]
      Nursery Rhymes > Jablkon [17]
      Le Caillou, le Cristal et la Camion > Ensemble SuperMusique [18]
      Swinging' Cicadas > Mikhail Horowitz [19]
      Hey-Hee-Hi-Ho > Medeski Martin & Wood vs IllyB [20]
      Hello > Peter Cooke vs Dudley Moore [21]
      Cheek to Cheek > Taco [22]
      Cheek to Cheek > Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong [23]

      ~~~~~~~~

      [1] "Selected Memories of the Haunted Ballroom" on Offal
      <http://www.brainwashed.com/vvm> <v-vm@...>. The ship has
      gone down and your penny loafers are not made of real leather.

      [2] "My Bongos" on PF Mentum <www.pfmentum.com>. the party is not
      over and you are stepping on buttery popcorn with your bare feet.
      Where did all the beatniks go? Percussion played on the skins of your
      skull - from the inside.

      [3] "Destinations" on Circumvention <www.circumnavigation.com>. Cool
      jazz not afraid to investigate hot abandoned places.

      [4] "Happy Sad" on Elektra. The big sad avant gardist who could yodel
      to chase away any of his remaining post-Lorca pop music consumer-fans.

      [5] "Moonbouncing" on Jabik. Somewhere between Ian Curtis, Nick Cave,
      and Š Dan Fogelberg. Sadness is just a boat that keeps you afloat. As
      long as you can keep plugging leaks and holes with rags ripped from a
      fancy ruffled peach-colored tuxedo shirt.

      [6] "Puce a L'Oreille" on Actuelle <www.actuellecd.com>. Puce I think
      means flea and these free improv sessions lead the flea to dancing
      the tympanic shuffle.

      [7] "In Bloom II" on Aureau Export <www.french-music.com>.
      Eclectic-tronica from France. Some really exceptional stuff like DJ
      Cam. This is yet another trip-hoppy reuse of blues, here sampling
      John Lee Hooker. Wide range samplerŠ

      [8] "The Best of Mose Allison" on Atlantic Jazz Anthology, 1970. I
      wish I could talk like this guy can sing. Hip never had a more
      welcome home than his mouth.

      [9] "Unpopular Singer vol. 4" on RSM <www.rsteviemoore.com>
      Somewhere between Jad Fair and the Lightcrust Dough Boy Stardust
      Cowboy and the Clubfoot member of XTC with John Trubee standing
      outside the toilet flicking the light switch. And someone's got a
      lighter but don't know how to use it. He is threatening to make
      obscurity a glorious sub genre of music.

      [10] "Wild Dub: Dread Meets Punk Rocker Downtown" on Select Cuts
      <www.selectcuts.de> Another great collection of mangled genius cuts.
      Includes Ruts, Clash, Generation X, Basement 5, Slits, PiL, Pop
      Group, Stiff Little Fingers with lots of playful reverb and effects
      that mashes them up and spits them out standing upright like so many
      dazed and splintery toothpicks Š

      [11] "Penthouse & Pavement" on Virgin. Too pretty boy to ever be
      taken seriously, these guys still sound good in that blue-eyed soul
      kinda way.

      [12] "Talk to the Best" on Jarring Effects <jarringeffects.free.fr>.
      This is pure mutt-hybrid activity and feverish cross-breeding of
      gangsta rap, dub, soul, techno house, and mendacity.

      [13] "Step Like Pepper" on Select Cuts <www.selectcuts.de> is one of
      the great dub releases in the past few years. Backbone of bass-ic
      grooves but nice skin of feverish surface action. Big artillery but a
      flower in the end of the barrel. A renewed fave.

      [14] "Slow Fuse" On-U Sound. Somewhat uneven and disappointing
      follow-up to the excellent "The Wolf That House Built". McDonald as
      in Skip of On-U productions and Sugarhill Gang and Tackhead has
      pioneered the idea of trip hop plus blues. Strategy further
      popularized by St. Germain and Gare du Nord.

      [15] "All Directions" on Tamla Motown vinyl. Incredible dubby
      extended mix of the great "Papa" - clocks in at 11.45 minutes.

      [16] "Genetically Modified" on Hydrogen Dukebox
      <www.hydrogendukebox.com>. Excellent trans-sexual Leroi Jones meets
      Scottish insanity in an empty dank castle. Loch Ness dub. Monster
      beats and club feet. Sifichi is Kenneth Patchen with DJ RSI. A
      tempest in a shot glass. With the voice of reason gone apeshit.
      Actually Ken Nordine's stepson and an extra in many Warhol quickies
      [age 4].

      [17] Political Science

      No one likes us-I don't know why
      We may not be perfect, but heaven knows we try
      But all around, even our old friends put us down
      Let's drop the big one and see what happens

      We give them money-but are they grateful?
      No, they're spiteful and they're hateful
      They don't respect us-so let's surprise them
      We'll drop the big one and pulverize them

      Asia's crowded and Europe's too old
      Africa is far too hot
      And Canada's too cold
      And South America stole our name
      Let's drop the big one
      There'll be no one left to blame us

      We'll save Australia
      Don't wanna hurt no kangaroo
      We'll build an All American amusement park there
      They got surfin', too

      Boom goes London and boom Paree
      More room for you and more room for me
      And every city the whole world round
      Will just be another American town
      Oh, how peaceful it will be
      We'll set everybody free
      You'll wear a Japanese kimono
      And there'll be Italian shoes for me

      They all hate us anyhow
      So let's drop the big one now
      Let's drop the big one now

      [18] "Canevas '+'" on Actuelle <www.actuelle.cd.com>. Improv from an
      undiscovered planet from one of the avantist of sounder perpetrators.

      [19] "The Blues of the Birth" on Euphoria Jazz. Recorded in Woodstock
      NY and on this, the ver punnish and witty MH sounds every bit the
      bastard illegitimate son of a gun of Lord Buckley with an extra beat
      thrown in to rev up the jazz poetics a bit.

      [20] "Combustication Remix EP" on Blue Note, 1999. Mangled remix
      lounge and dub.

      [21] Meant to be my opening cut but in all the furtive dusty clutter
      it went missing until 10 minutes before sign off. That is pirate
      radio. Here one minute, gone for hours only to reappearŠ just to get
      under what little skin I have left.

      [22] Why not?

      [23] Why not againŠ?

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      * Still out of order and catching upŠ

      o Mysteries: Why do all housepainters / construction workers have
      such bad taste in music? Or maybe its just the guy in control of the
      radio on the construction site? Again: you hear the music blaring and
      it is never surprisingly anything good! What is so comforting &
      attractive to so many in bad mindless radio playing mindless pablum
      with inane conversation thrown in about nothing real or relevant And
      what gives them the right [public acceptance] to be able to blare
      their radio while they work on renovating.

      o Why is cognitive dissonance so prominent in today's political
      climate? Poor peole continue to vote for rich scum about to raid the
      piggy bank and reward themselves with extra bonuses for doing so?
      This has never been more true than in the US of today with Bush being
      easily MORE crooked, more blatantly anti-poor and middle class and
      YET it appears he will probably be reelected. This was true in Dutch
      politics with the rise of a pre-transparency part led by Pim Fortuyn,
      a rich, bald, and gay dandy who spoke indiscreetly about foreigners.
      He was popular among the poor although his interests truly lay with
      the landed gentry and merely knew how to pull the populist heart
      stringsŠ Since his assassination, it has become ever more clear how
      the poor and hopeful were duped by a gang of bumbling robber barons.

      o Why do I yawn when I see someone else yawning? This seldom fails.
      Is there some kind of mental or radio signal that connects the yawner
      with the soon to be yawning?

      o Why is bad music so popular? Why has that become ever more the
      rule? Why are people not getting better taste and never mind why are
      people getting stupider despite easy access to information? Is it
      because the efficient processing of info and data precludes
      intelligent analysis? Is this related to the 'intelligence' agencies'
      problems with the gathering of 'intelligence'?

      o Mystery: Bush Military Service Files Were Destroyed - Report NEW
      YORK (Reuters) - The Pentagon says military records related to
      President Bush's service in the National Guard more than 30 years ago
      were inadvertently destroyed, The New York Times reported on Friday.
      Payroll records of "numerous service members," including Bush, were
      ruined in 1996 and 1997 during a project to salvage deteriorating
      microfilm by the Defense Finance and Accounting Service, the
      newspaper said, citing the Pentagon. Bush's whereabouts during his
      service in the National Guard during the Vietnam War have become an
      election-year issue, with some Democrats accusing him of shirking his
      duty. The destroyed files cover three months of a period in 1972 and
      1973 when Bush's claims of service in Alabama are in question, the
      newspaper said. No back-up paper copies of the records could be
      found, the Pentagon said in notices dated June 25, according to the
      Times. The loss of the records was announced by the Defense
      Department's Office of Freedom of Information and Security Review in
      letters to the Times and other news organizations that for nearly
      half a year have sought Bush's complete service file, the newspaper
      reported.

      o Mystery: Why more news about Reagan's death than Marlon Brando
      [80]? Did Brando's betrayal of his incredible handsomeness by gaining
      an incredible amount of weight? Or did his consistent cantankerous
      denunciations of Hollywood and its vapid pretensions and his refusal
      to take part in its charades mean he was basically blacklisted as a
      bit of an untouchable? There has seldom been an actor [or
      entertainment figure] with more psychological presence. I like his
      actions at the Academy Awards, when he brought whats-er-name, Little
      Feather, to read his denunciation/acceptance speech. I like his
      [semi-failed] efforts at bringing attention to the incredible
      injustices perpetrated upon the Native American community [no
      change!] I like his appearance on national TV to discuss his newest
      movie and used this entertainment platform to further the political
      ends of a basically voiceless minority - Native Americans - when he
      brought Russell Means [?] of the American Indian Movement with him
      and he refused to talk and kept deferring to his guest. Ask him Ask
      himŠ Some of my favorite movies are Brando films especially "Last
      Tango in Paris".

      o The mystery continues: Janet Jackson Tupperware breast may nurse
      $550,000 in fines - Twenty ViacomMTV television stations that aired
      pop singer Janet Jackson's 'shocking' breast flash during the Super
      Bowl may be fined $27,500 each, if FCC regulators have their way. The
      general outrage of the American public is, of course, very similar to
      the outrage you see coming from other fundamentalist/hypocrite
      regimes like Iran and Afghanistan [rimes with Taliban and Alabam']
      when it comes to these kinds of issues. During the National Football
      League's Super Bowl halftime in February, Jackson's costume was
      ripped away by fellow singer Justin Timberlake, briefly exposing her
      breast and nipple to spark an outcry from lawmakers and parents'
      groups [500,000 complaints in a matter of days!]. Viacom apologized
      for the incident and pledged to use equipment to briefly delay airing
      live events to prevent other incidents.

      o Back then [1979] they might have still called it a happening
      although today it would fall into the category of culture jamming. In
      March 1979 while BBC Channel II was supposed to be showing Jimmy
      Stewart's "It's a Wonderful Life" a pirate broadcaster had managed to
      supercede the weaker English signal and was able to interrupt the
      broadcast with a series of raw lewd porno images that were somewhat
      distorted and were accompanied by audio snatches of James Stewart's
      voice periodically filtering through.

      o In 1982, the Netherlands had over 1000 illegal radio transmitter
      and over 100 TV pirates that would periodically commandeer community
      cable television systems at around midnight after legitimate networks
      had gone off the air. During the late 1970s, early 1980s, 65% of
      Dutch homes turned onto cableŠ It was easy for an individual with a
      video recorder, an amp, a transmitter and an aerial to move in on the
      cable system. They could back then simply beam their programs at one
      of the cable company's master receiving aerials. For awhile the late
      night pirates would feature films for insomniacs but Dutch cinema
      operators put a stop to that.

      o The mystery of Patapoe's ethereal return: As of today, Sunday 5
      September, we are mere days away from re-entering the realm of true
      radio as our [very healthy] transmitter gets readjusted so that it
      does not mirror and create strong signals that might end up being a
      dangerous nuisance for locals and for competing commercial stations.
      Internet signal also very quiet. Once we are back we will be back to
      stay. Some slight adjustments no doubt necessary in the
      cobbled-together hardware and software.

      o From: erol <erol@...> responding to my spaced out
      forgettfulness on Playlist #256 regarding details of his London
      post-Vishnu rickshaw garage band: Hi bart, thanks for the playlist. I
      shall print it and take it with me next time I go looking for
      records. the band was called the The Id, then The Zoo, and finally
      The Playn Jayn under which name we released 3 records and a free EP.
      I only have one of each but I am trying to get around to transferring
      them to CD soonŠ"

      ~*~*~*~
      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2000± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      <info@...>
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/>
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o "Soon", the unveiling of new juggernaut:
      <http://wreckthismess.com/> courtesy of Pavement Tulip, a genius
      stuck in the body of a Polish skier in Brooklyn's inner denouement.

    • Stevo
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2004

        > o From: erol <erol@s...> responding to my spaced out
        > forgettfulness on Playlist #256 regarding details of his London
        > post-Vishnu rickshaw garage band: Hi bart, thanks for the playlist.
        > shall print it and take it with me next time I go looking for
        > records. the band was called the The Id, then The Zoo, and finally
        > The Playn Jayn under which name we released 3 records and a free
        EP.
        > I only have one of each but I am trying to get around to
        transferring
        > them to CD soonŠ"

        You're in contact with Errol of Playn Jayn?
        There were people looking around to see about rereleasing their music
        a while back.
        I think I can still find one of them if he hasn't already
        Stevo