Shirley Collins, Cuneiform, Chango Spasiuk, Fred Lonberg-Holm articles

  • Jason Gross
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      Greetings,

      In the latest issue of Perfect Sound Forever
      <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>, you'll find (among other
      things):

      SHIRLEY COLLINS
      Mistress of English Folk: not just in her classic solo albums and
      collaborations with Davy Graham but also her archival music project
      work with Alan Lomax has Collins made her mark in music. In an
      exhaustive and extensive interview with Johan Kugelberg (of stalwart
      publication Ugly Things), she reviews her life and career.

      CUNEIFORM RECORDS
      Don't call it 'prog rock': 20 years of 'funny music. Now celebrating
      two decades, this independent label has documented some of the most
      fascinating progressive bands and performers around, including Robert
      Wyatt, Soft Machine, Univers Zero, Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, Fred
      Frith and Thinking Plague, covering new releases and unheard
      archives. An interview and overview with Steve
      Feigenbaum about his label and its longevity.

      FRED LONBERG-HOLM
      Free-form cello: spanning his studies with Morton Feldman and his
      work with John Zorn, Jim O'Rourke and Anthony Coleman, this New York-
      to-Chicago musician has amassed an interesting history and is
      certainly worthy of a thorough interview (which we did with him).

      CHANGO SPASIUK
      Chamamé accordian master: leading exponent of the style of music from
      Northeastern Argentina known as 'charmame' and possessor of one of
      the most memorable stage names in modern music, Spasiuk took his
      Ukrainian roots and mixed them with South American culture to come up
      with a wonderfully strange hybrid.

      Plus our Digitaljukejointbox (featuring chanteuses, bluegrass,
      Brazilian dance music and more) and our continuing Robert Quine
      tribute with thoughts/memories from Brian Eno, Fred Frith, Mike Watt,
      Arto Lindsay, Robert Christgau, Lou Reed/Jethro Tull drummer
      Doane Perry, composer Corin Curschellas, Subterranean Records'
      Michael Carlucci as well as Quine's childhood friends and college
      buddies.

      We're always looking for good writers and/or ideas so let us know if
      you have anything to share.

      See you online,
      Jason