Re: [thewire] free jazz etc

  • michael jackson
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 24, 2004
      J.D. Parran & Marty Ehrlich are worth checking out too. Wouldn't it be great
      to hear Lol Coxhill play a clarinet ? (?)

      >From: "Dmitry Ukhov" <dmituhov@...>
      >To: <thewire@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [thewire] free jazz etc
      >Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:06:35 +0400
      >
      >John Carter was great, but don't forget thye father of them all- the one
      >and only Eric Dolphy, not that free,but wghata musicianship! Most of the
      >reed-players double on bassclarinet (with Braxton on contrabass), few of
      >them specialize on it.The exception being Loois Sclavis(of course, not
      >fgree
      >jazz in the same sense as David Murray).Also Gerhard Ullman (on Leo
      >Records)
      >and the fantastic Catalogue (Live in East Germany) and Live in Novosibirsk
      >and actually anything by Ganelin-Tarasov-Chekasin (the piece called
      >Catch-333 being the epitome of all the Soviet-era free music).
      >dmitry from moscow (not Paris)

    • Daniel DiMaggio
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 25, 2004
        For free clarinet I am surprised that no one has mentioned Jimmy Guiffre's more out records yet. "Free Fall" w/ Paul Bley and Barre Phillips sounds almost like Evan Parker style improv, but it's from 1962. Not that 'ecstatic' I guess though.
        Daniel

        > J.D. Parran & Marty Ehrlich are worth checking out too. Wouldn't
        > it be great
        > to hear Lol Coxhill play a clarinet ? (?)
        >

        > >From: "Dmitry Ukhov" <dmituhov@...>
        > >To: <thewire@yahoogroups.com>
        > >Subject: Re: [thewire] free jazz etc
        > >Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:06:35 +0400
        > >
        > >John Carter was great, but don't forget thye father of them
        > all- the one
        > >and only Eric Dolphy, not that free,but wghata musicianship! Most
        > of the
        > >reed-players double on bassclarinet (with Braxton on contrabass),
        > few of
        > >them specialize on it.The exception being Loois Sclavis(of
        > course, not
        > >fgree
        > >jazz in the same sense as David Murray).Also Gerhard Ullman (on
        > Leo
        > >Records)
        > >and the fantastic Catalogue (Live in East Germany) and Live in
        > Novosibirsk>and actually anything by Ganelin-Tarasov-Chekasin (the
        > piece called
        > >Catch-333 being the epitome of all the Soviet-era free music).
        > >dmitry from moscow (not Paris)

        > Don?t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

        > ~-->
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/nnJolB/TM

      • sarah-michelle geller
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
          > Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:30:10 +0200
          > From: Fred Inklaar <opslag@...>
          >Subject: Re: free jazz etc
          >
          >You might also want to check out 'Les voix du Monde/Voices of the World'.
          >Rituals from Paraguay, funeral laments from Romania, Curing ritual from
          >Madagascar, etc. But I'm not sure if you are looking for this more ethnic
          >approach.

          i am, in fact, looking for ANY approach. i checked out 'drums of death',
          though it wasn't really what i was looking for - i simply couldn't hear
          anything particularly ecstatic about the performances. but that could have
          been because i listened to 30 second samples on amazon.co.uk and perhaps
          because i'm not a big fan of percussion.

          'les voix de monde' sounds more like what i was looking for. i just have to
          find samples of it.

          thanks.

        • stuff1424@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2 7:35 AM
            I only caught a thread of this topic... ecstatic free jazz? Spiritual? It
            might be too obvious but surely The Seasons by Alan Silva & The Celestrial
            Communication Orchestra. I only have part 6 on the Jazz Actuel boxset but it's the
            most intense free jazz you'll most likely ever hear. Sounds just like Merzbow
            actually. Also check the wonderful 'Living Space' by Coltrane and his wife on
            The Wire 20yrs boxset, and of course Universal Consciousness, for a different
            mood.

            Rich.