Re: [thewire] abrasive music?

  • kolorform records
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 10, 2004
      for difficult listening, try:
      John Zorn - Locus Solus

      sarah-michelle geller <sarahmichellegeller@...> wrote:
      i checked out all of the stuff mentioned here, and most of it was pretty
      standard grindcore - not very heavy or 'abrasive' at all.

      the last abrasive rock record i heard was 'legion' by deicide...actually it
      was more heavy than abrasive.

      so, no-one knows any tracks/groups in a similar vein to 'tourettes' by
      nirvana (from 'in utero')?

      to get off the 'heavy' music topic, what about abrasive music? by this i
      mean music that isn't simply noisy and loud and fast but difficult to listen
      to. stuff like 'metal machine music'.

      any recommendations as to the most abrasive records out there?

      > Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 04:38:16 +0000
      > From: "c a c t u s" <cactusd@...>
      >Subject: Re: heavy noisy HEA-VY music
      >
      >good recent abrasive rock: sightings, flying luttenbachers, burmese, total
      >shutdown, fat worm of error, leviathan, boris. >cactus
      >
      >My question is, when was the last time a rock record was actually
      >abrasive? "Upside Down"? Hijokaiden's version of "Silver Machine"?
      >
      >-rob
      >

      > Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:32:24 -0400
      > From: "Wilson, Carl" <cwilson@...>
      >Subject: heavy noisy HEA-VY music
      >
      >Incapacitants?
      >Lightning Bolt?
      >Mortician?
      >Merzbow?
      >Melt-Banana?
      >Techno Menses?
      >Bathory?
      >Atari Teenage Riot?
      >
      >carl w.
      >http://www.zoilus.com

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • carlos torres
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 10, 2004
        check out sound artists like merzbow, or the projects he's been in like
        consumer electronics..if you want abrasive, go into the avant jazz realm and
        check out albert ayler, peter brotzmann, alex v. schlipenbach. Someone
        mentioned naked city. I doubt you checked out naked city it you call it
        "standard gridcore" - it is in fact quite experimental and indeed very
        abrasive. Check out other john zorn projects like his albums like locus
        solus or hemophiliac or the other metal band he was in, Painkiller.

        >From: "sarah-michelle geller" <sarahmichellegeller@...>
        >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [thewire] abrasive music?
        >Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:26:10 +0300
        >
        >i checked out all of the stuff mentioned here, and most of it was pretty
        >standard grindcore - not very heavy or 'abrasive' at all.
        >
        >the last abrasive rock record i heard was 'legion' by deicide...actually it
        >was more heavy than abrasive.
        >
        >so, no-one knows any tracks/groups in a similar vein to 'tourettes' by
        >nirvana (from 'in utero')?
        >
        >to get off the 'heavy' music topic, what about abrasive music? by this i
        >mean music that isn't simply noisy and loud and fast but difficult to
        >listen
        >to. stuff like 'metal machine music'.
        >
        >any recommendations as to the most abrasive records out there?
        >
        > > Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 04:38:16 +0000
        > > From: "c a c t u s" <cactusd@...>
        > >Subject: Re: heavy noisy HEA-VY music
        > >
        > >good recent abrasive rock: sightings, flying luttenbachers, burmese,
        >total
        > >shutdown, fat worm of error, leviathan, boris. >cactus
        > >
        > >My question is, when was the last time a rock record was actually
        > >abrasive? "Upside Down"? Hijokaiden's version of "Silver Machine"?
        > >
        > >-rob
        > >

        > > Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:32:24 -0400
        > > From: "Wilson, Carl" <cwilson@...>
        > >Subject: heavy noisy HEA-VY music
        > >
        > >Incapacitants?
        > >Lightning Bolt?
        > >Mortician?
        > >Merzbow?
        > >Melt-Banana?
        > >Techno Menses?
        > >Bathory?
        > >Atari Teenage Riot?
        > >
        > >carl w.
        > >http://www.zoilus.com

      • c a c t u s
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 10, 2004
          I'd say sightings, flying luttenbachers, total shutdown, fat worm of error,
          and boris are certainly not standard grindcore, no matter how loosely that
          phrase is bandied about. now heavy and abrasive are in the ear of the
          behearer, I suppose, but standard grindcore? nope. not even close. re:
          nirvana, I have never thought of them as particularly heavy or abrasive, and
          yep, I've heard in utero many times. re: deicide, I'd take any emperor,
          darkthrone, gogoroth, mayhem, burmese, or leviathan record over "legion."
          all that said, best wishes in your continuing search for the specific form
          of heavy and/or abrasive that will warm you inside. have you tried masonna?
          his records strike most folks as quite abrasive, like metal machine music to
          the tenth degree. cheers. >cactus

          From: "c a c t u s" <cactusd@...>

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 10, 2004
            Borbetomagus...

            Olivier

            Le 04-08-10, � 14:39, kolorform records a �crit :

          • John Eastridge
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 10, 2004
              WHOO I <3 BORBETOMAGUS!!!!

              >From: Olivier Borzeix <oborzeix@...>
              >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [thewire] abrasive music?
              >Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:32:38 -0400
              >
              >Borbetomagus...
              >
              >Olivier
              >
              >Le 04-08-10, � 14:39, kolorform records a �crit :
              >
              > > for difficult listening, try:
              > > John Zorn - Locus Solus
              > >

              > > sarah-michelle geller <sarahmichellegeller@...> wrote:
              > > i checked out all of the stuff mentioned here, and most of it was
              > > pretty
              > > standard grindcore - not very heavy or 'abrasive' at all.
              > >
              > > the last abrasive rock record i heard was 'legion' by
              > > deicide...actually it
              > > was more heavy than abrasive.
              > >
              > > so, no-one knows any tracks/groups in a similar vein to 'tourettes' by
              > > nirvana (from 'in utero')?
              > >
              > > to get off the 'heavy' music topic, what about abrasive music? by
              > > this i
              > > mean music that isn't simply noisy and loud and fast but difficult to
              > > listen
              > > to. stuff like 'metal machine music'.
              > >
              > > any recommendations as to the most abrasive records out there?
              > >
              > > >��� Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 04:38:16 +0000
              > > >��� From: "c a c t u s" <cactusd@...>
              > > >Subject: Re: heavy noisy HEA-VY music
              > > >
              > > >good recent abrasive rock: sightings, flying luttenbachers, burmese,
              > > total
              > > >shutdown, fat worm of error, leviathan, boris. >cactus
              > > >
              > > >My question is, when was the last time a rock record was actually
              > > >abrasive?� "Upside Down"?� Hijokaiden's version of "Silver Machine"?
              > > >
              > > >-rob
              > > >

              > > >��� Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:32:24 -0400
              > > >��� From: "Wilson, Carl" <cwilson@...>
              > > >Subject: heavy noisy HEA-VY music
              > > >
              > > >Incapacitants?
              > > >Lightning Bolt?
              > > >Mortician?
              > > >Merzbow?
              > > >Melt-Banana?
              > > >Techno Menses?
              > > >Bathory?
              > > >Atari Teenage Riot?
              > > >
              > > >carl w.
              > > >http://www.zoilus.com

              > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              > > �
              > > �� Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              > > Service.

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > > <image.tiff>
              > > <l.gif>
              > >
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >
              > > � To visit your group on the web, go to:
              > > �
              > > � To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              > > �
              > > � Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              > > Service.

            • michael jackson
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
                Abrasive ? try early NOCTURNAL EMISSIONS "Tissue of Lies"; CONTROLLED
                BLEEDING "Body Samples" & "Knees & Bones" (are these available on CD ?) ;
                early WHITEHOUSE...???

              • stuff1424@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
                  We could be here all day just talking about music that sounds 'abrasive'.
                  Have you heard the Jane Doe album by Converge? Obviously Velvets, Crass, early
                  Sonic Youth, Dead C... Most definitely Wolf Eyes/ Burmese (San Francisco's
                  grind/noise/sludge behemoth)/ early Black Dice/ Arab On Radar/ Sun O)))/ Lightning
                  Bolt's self-titled debut which sounds like it was recorded with a dictaphone
                  left by the drum kit. Of course Throbbing Gristle's self-banned First Annual
                  Report and then Whitehouse's Erector. Ruins/ early Boredoms/ Merzbow/ Melt
                  Banana. There's often something abrasive in all genres, anything from The
                  Homosexuals to, I dunno, DJ Scud (!)...

                  Rich.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
                    sarahmichellegeller@... writes:

                    > so, no-one knows any tracks/groups in a similar vein to 'tourettes' by
                    > nirvana (from 'in utero')?

                    I seem to remember 'XYU' by Smashing Pumpkins was in a similar vein. What
                    about Wild Man Fischer? The Pop Group? There's the wonderful gibberish Damo
                    Suzuki came up with in Can. Early Boredoms and of course Mike Patton. The singer in
                    The Cardiacs always sounded crazy. John Lydon on 'Albatross'. I'm missing
                    something really obvious... what are the best song's ever when the vocalist
                    genuinely goes berserk?

                    Rich.

                  • kolorform records
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
                      word.
                      borbetomagus.
                      sweet sweet noise.

                      John Eastridge <johneastridge@...> wrote:
                      WHOO I <3 BORBETOMAGUS!!!!

                      >From: Olivier Borzeix
                      >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [thewire] abrasive music?
                      >Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:32:38 -0400
                      >
                      >Borbetomagus...
                      >
                      >Olivier
                      >
                      >Le 04-08-10, � 14:39, kolorform records a �crit :
                      >
                      > > for difficult listening, try:
                      > > John Zorn - Locus Solus
                      > >

                      > > sarah-michelle geller wrote:
                      > > i checked out all of the stuff mentioned here, and most of it was
                      > > pretty
                      > > standard grindcore - not very heavy or 'abrasive' at all.
                      > >
                      > > the last abrasive rock record i heard was 'legion' by
                      > > deicide...actually it
                      > > was more heavy than abrasive.
                      > >
                      > > so, no-one knows any tracks/groups in a similar vein to 'tourettes' by
                      > > nirvana (from 'in utero')?
                      > >
                      > > to get off the 'heavy' music topic, what about abrasive music? by
                      > > this i
                      > > mean music that isn't simply noisy and loud and fast but difficult to
                      > > listen
                      > > to. stuff like 'metal machine music'.
                      > >
                      > > any recommendations as to the most abrasive records out there?
                      > >
                      > > > Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 04:38:16 +0000
                      > > > From: "c a c t u s"
                      > > >Subject: Re: heavy noisy HEA-VY music
                      > > >
                      > > >good recent abrasive rock: sightings, flying luttenbachers, burmese,
                      > > total
                      > > >shutdown, fat worm of error, leviathan, boris. >cactus
                      > > >
                      > > >My question is, when was the last time a rock record was actually
                      > > >abrasive? "Upside Down"? Hijokaiden's version of "Silver Machine"?
                      > > >
                      > > >-rob
                      > > >

                      > > > Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:32:24 -0400
                      > > > From: "Wilson, Carl"
                      > > >Subject: heavy noisy HEA-VY music
                      > > >
                      > > >Incapacitants?
                      > > >Lightning Bolt?
                      > > >Mortician?
                      > > >Merzbow?
                      > > >Melt-Banana?
                      > > >Techno Menses?
                      > > >Bathory?
                      > > >Atari Teenage Riot?
                      > > >
                      > > >carl w.
                      > > >http://www.zoilus.com

                      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      > > Service.

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >
                      > > � To visit your group on the web, go to:
                      > >
                      > > � To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      > >
                      > > � Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                      > > Service.

                    • keefycub
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 12, 2004
                        Hmmm it looks like you'll have to make your ultimate abrasion
                        yourself. None of these particularly strike me as all *that*
                        abrasive, but then I don't listen to it smashed and at full volume --
                        instead I listen to it real low, almost inaudible and I find it
                        serene.

                        There's stuff from Earache that warns that it might destroy your
                        equipment (the first "Release Your Mind" comes to mind -- if it's
                        still in print. The tracks in question are Masonna and Merzbow
                        tracks.) Vinyl Communications (if they're still around) specialise
                        in this sort of thing, too.

                        A friend's party almost got cut short when a Spacewurm record (vinyl,
                        yes, vinyl) being DJ'd at a volume too heavy for the amplier caused
                        the amplifier to fry. That was a moment with the blinding magnesium
                        flash and the little cloud of smoke.

                        The most in your face smash noise piece I've ever heard is "C.U.M."
                        by Controlled Bleeding off "The Drowning." I had a spectrum analyser
                        on my stereo when I first got this one -- it pegged all frequencies
                        with the EQ set below flat, so that one wins. It's the second track
                        on the CD and it's almost as though they will destroy your stereo
                        before you get to the other more serene soundscapes later in the
                        disc.

                        Once you get into Merzbow, Masonna, Controlled Bleeding, and such ..
                        that sort of territory, you're dealing with music made by
                        intentionally pushing the equipment to its limit, but at the same
                        time it's going to be scaled back by the time it's released to just
                        under the limits of the technology because no one who is putting this
                        stuff out will want to be liable for damage to your stereo system.

                        And no I don't know similar stuff to Nirvana because well, I first
                        heard Nirvana live about 1989 before they hit (# of people in the
                        audience: 12), and I thought they were sad and depressed then. They
                        were alright but nothing I would actively search out. Then I heard
                        that Hit Album once or twice and it became a case of, no I will *not*
                        listen to this so that when I do hear it as a flashback 20 years
                        after the fact on some bullshit VH1 TV show it will be as fresh and
                        exciting to me as some of those old flower power songs from the 60's
                        were around the time it came out. In other words, the bigger the
                        group, the more I'm *not* going to listen to them so that I won't be
                        sick of it when it becomes nostalgia, as Nirvana have already. I'll
                        open up in about 15 more years to it.

                        K.

                        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "sarah-michelle geller"
                        <sarahmichellegeller@h...> wrote:
                        > i checked out all of the stuff mentioned here, and most of it was
                        pretty
                        > standard grindcore - not very heavy or 'abrasive' at all.
                        >
                        > the last abrasive rock record i heard was 'legion' by
                        deicide...actually it
                        > was more heavy than abrasive.
                        >
                        > so, no-one knows any tracks/groups in a similar vein to 'tourettes'
                        by
                        > nirvana (from 'in utero')?
                      • François Couture
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 13, 2004
                          My personal most abrasive recommendation would be Government Alpha's
                          Sporadic Spectra CD (Ground Fault, www.groundfault.net, very nicely priced).
                          Thunderously abrasive noise, but still the feeling of a band playing,
                          without the pulse thing a band like Boris will cling to.

                          Best,

                          --
                          François Couture
                          Weedon, Québec

                          "A proof is a proof, and when it's a proof, you know it's proven." -
                          ex-Prime Minister of Canada Jean Chrétien on the US proof on Hussein's
                          threat to the world.

                        • stuff1424@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 14, 2004
                            I recommend the 'Magnetic Mountain album by Aufgehoben No Process Vs Gary
                            Smith on Junior Meat Recordings. Some extremely loud distorted noise-rock. Huge.

                            Rich.

                          • stuff1424@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 14, 2004
                              Forgot to add, if you want sound samples of this album do a search for it at
                              www.aquariusrecords.org. This is one of the most 'abrasive' rock records I've
                              ever heard- if anyone knows of anything that tops this I'd sure like to know.

                              Rich.