Re: the ultimate in "pretentious"?

  • keefycub
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
      Mystery? I'm not mystified by it. It's a shiny plastic waffle with
      0's and 1's that turn into sound when you put it in the shiny plastic
      waffle player. Just like any other. And when I listened to it, I
      pretty much stayed put -- it didn't move me to any other listening
      space other than the one I chose when I decided to listen to it. It
      would have been wild if it had though. I'm waiting for the day that
      I put in one of those shiny waffles and the 0's and 1's magically
      make me levitate. That's going to be a great party trick.

      I wonder what makes a track redundant or pretentious. I'd like to
      know so I can make a redundant track, and then I can make a
      pretentious track, and compare the two to see if they sounded like
      anything other than two different sound structures. Maybe I could do
      the same song -- one could be the redundant mix, and the other one
      could be the pretentious mix.

      I also wonder if it's put out by a tiny little label that has no
      money and therefore doesn't pay artists anything that makes it
      redundant, since there's an awful lot of that floating around, but
      the same track put out on a Big Corporate Label would be pretentious,
      because they don't do it all that often and therefore they'd be
      pretending to be hip.

      K.

      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@a...> wrote:

      > keefycub wrote:
      >

      > > Hafler Trio "Walk Gently Through The Gates Of Joy" (especially the
      > > air turbulence track or "Au Dela")
      >
      > There is a certain mystery this work maintains that so many have
      seem to
      > have lost or just plainly tossed aside
      > quite rewarding and refreshing in its ability to place the listener
      is the
      > exact spot from which to listen.
      > To do work like this (the tracks in question) now is possibly not
      > pretentious as much as redundant.
      > the charm seems to lie not so much in individual tracks as much as
      their
      > interaction and surprise as a whole
      >
      > -- -Kraig Grady
      > North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
      > http://www.anaphoria.com
      > The Wandering Medicine Show
      > KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST
    • Kraig Grady
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
        why do you listen to music then?

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@a...> wrote:
          > why do you listen to music then?

          Because it keeps my nervous system happy.
        • Kraig Grady
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
            i am glad. you had me worried:)

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
              Think about it this way -- that shiny plastic waffle is no more the
              actual music within than the letters "d-o-g" are an actual dog. You
              could say I don't have any fetish for the shiny plastic waffles or
              the large slabs of oil with grooves in them. I'd rather concentrate
              on what's making my eardrums wiggle.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
                I think we were always in agreement here

                keefycub wrote:

                > Think about it this way -- that shiny plastic waffle is no more the
                > actual music within than the letters "d-o-g" are an actual dog. You
                > could say I don't have any fetish for the shiny plastic waffles or
                > the large slabs of oil with grooves in them. I'd rather concentrate
                > on what's making my eardrums wiggle.
                >
                > K.
                >
                > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@a...> wrote:
                > > i am glad. you had me worried:)
                > >
                > > keefycub wrote:
                > >
                > > > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@a...>
                > > > >

                > > > Because it keeps my nervous system happy.

                -- -Kraig Grady
                North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
                http://www.anaphoria.com
                The Wandering Medicine Show
                KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST
              • R. Lim
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 30, 2004
                  Not to bring up film again, but I don't really see this kinda stuff as any
                  different than DVD extras. What's the big deal?

                  In general, I find that jazz is a pretty fertile ground for alternate
                  takes because they do tend to be different. The Miles stuff even more so
                  because of his interest in creating a studio version of jazz (versus
                  merely recording a live performance).

                  Obviously, your mileage may vary.

                  BTW- I presume Ralph realizes that a screenwriter's chances of influencing
                  a picture's soundtrack (or anything else about it) is roughly the same as
                  mine?

                  -rob

                  --
                  Janitor From Mars archives and more @ http://www.wfmu.org/~rlim