Re: [thewire] Re: the ultimate in "pretentious"?

  • Kraig Grady
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
      keefycub wrote:

      > Hafler Trio "Walk Gently Through The Gates Of Joy" (especially the
      > air turbulence track or "Au Dela")

      There is a certain mystery this work maintains that so many have seem to
      have lost or just plainly tossed aside
      quite rewarding and refreshing in its ability to place the listener is the
      exact spot from which to listen.
      To do work like this (the tracks in question) now is possibly not
      pretentious as much as redundant.
      the charm seems to lie not so much in individual tracks as much as their
      interaction and surprise as a whole

      -- -Kraig Grady
      North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
      http://www.anaphoria.com
      The Wandering Medicine Show
      KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST
    • keefycub
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
        Mystery? I'm not mystified by it. It's a shiny plastic waffle with
        0's and 1's that turn into sound when you put it in the shiny plastic
        waffle player. Just like any other. And when I listened to it, I
        pretty much stayed put -- it didn't move me to any other listening
        space other than the one I chose when I decided to listen to it. It
        would have been wild if it had though. I'm waiting for the day that
        I put in one of those shiny waffles and the 0's and 1's magically
        make me levitate. That's going to be a great party trick.

        I wonder what makes a track redundant or pretentious. I'd like to
        know so I can make a redundant track, and then I can make a
        pretentious track, and compare the two to see if they sounded like
        anything other than two different sound structures. Maybe I could do
        the same song -- one could be the redundant mix, and the other one
        could be the pretentious mix.

        I also wonder if it's put out by a tiny little label that has no
        money and therefore doesn't pay artists anything that makes it
        redundant, since there's an awful lot of that floating around, but
        the same track put out on a Big Corporate Label would be pretentious,
        because they don't do it all that often and therefore they'd be
        pretending to be hip.

        K.

        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@a...> wrote:

        > keefycub wrote:
        >

        > > Hafler Trio "Walk Gently Through The Gates Of Joy" (especially the
        > > air turbulence track or "Au Dela")
        >
        > There is a certain mystery this work maintains that so many have
        seem to
        > have lost or just plainly tossed aside
        > quite rewarding and refreshing in its ability to place the listener
        is the
        > exact spot from which to listen.
        > To do work like this (the tracks in question) now is possibly not
        > pretentious as much as redundant.
        > the charm seems to lie not so much in individual tracks as much as
        their
        > interaction and surprise as a whole
        >
        > -- -Kraig Grady
        > North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
        > http://www.anaphoria.com
        > The Wandering Medicine Show
        > KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST
      • Kraig Grady
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
          why do you listen to music then?

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@a...> wrote:
            > why do you listen to music then?

            Because it keeps my nervous system happy.
          • Kraig Grady
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
              i am glad. you had me worried:)

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
                Think about it this way -- that shiny plastic waffle is no more the
                actual music within than the letters "d-o-g" are an actual dog. You
                could say I don't have any fetish for the shiny plastic waffles or
                the large slabs of oil with grooves in them. I'd rather concentrate
                on what's making my eardrums wiggle.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 27, 2004
                  I think we were always in agreement here

                  keefycub wrote:

                  > Think about it this way -- that shiny plastic waffle is no more the
                  > actual music within than the letters "d-o-g" are an actual dog. You
                  > could say I don't have any fetish for the shiny plastic waffles or
                  > the large slabs of oil with grooves in them. I'd rather concentrate
                  > on what's making my eardrums wiggle.
                  >
                  > K.
                  >
                  > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@a...> wrote:
                  > > i am glad. you had me worried:)
                  > >
                  > > keefycub wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@a...>
                  > > > >

                  > > > Because it keeps my nervous system happy.

                  -- -Kraig Grady
                  North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
                  http://www.anaphoria.com
                  The Wandering Medicine Show
                  KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST
                • R. Lim
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 30, 2004
                    Not to bring up film again, but I don't really see this kinda stuff as any
                    different than DVD extras. What's the big deal?

                    In general, I find that jazz is a pretty fertile ground for alternate
                    takes because they do tend to be different. The Miles stuff even more so
                    because of his interest in creating a studio version of jazz (versus
                    merely recording a live performance).

                    Obviously, your mileage may vary.

                    BTW- I presume Ralph realizes that a screenwriter's chances of influencing
                    a picture's soundtrack (or anything else about it) is roughly the same as
                    mine?

                    -rob

                    --
                    Janitor From Mars archives and more @ http://www.wfmu.org/~rlim