Punk books?

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 26, 2004
      Having just finally, gotten hold of a copy of the book Hardcore
      California I'm trying to work out what other books on early U.S. Punk
      are neccessary.
      I already have This Band Could BE Your LIfe and Please KIll Me but
      what else is considered essential? I just ordered WE GOt THe Neutron
      BOmb too.
      I know there was one on D.C. that I saw excerpted a coupla years
      back. What I saw was a short history of the Bad Brains, is the book
      Dance of DAys or another one?
      Stevo
      Np Alrune Rod Sonet Arene Rejsen Hjem
    • c a c t u s
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2004
        stevo: definitely check out the darby crash and the germs book, lexicon
        devil. really great. also, while not u.s. punk-related, I cannot say enough
        about hugh cornwell's excellent memoir song by song, about the stranglers.
        really funny and smart and illuminating. I also really like greil marcus'
        lipstick traces, but I'm sure you've already read that. one other rock book
        I liked recently was lords of chaos, about the norwegian black metal scene.
        made me want to visit oslo. >cactus

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2004
          there's the bluntly titled "American Hardore : A Tribal History" by Steven
          Blush published by Feral House. It's not entirely objective, but a decent
          read; note that Mr. Blush considers that HC died in 1986. I believe the DC
          book is called "Banned in DC"
          michael j

          >From: "c a c t u s" <cactusd@...>
          >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: RE: [thewire] Punk books?
          >Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:03:31 +0000
          >
          >stevo: definitely check out the darby crash and the germs book, lexicon
          >devil. really great. also, while not u.s. punk-related, I cannot say enough
          >about hugh cornwell's excellent memoir song by song, about the stranglers.
          >really funny and smart and illuminating. I also really like greil marcus'
          >lipstick traces, but I'm sure you've already read that. one other rock book
          >I liked recently was lords of chaos, about the norwegian black metal scene.
          >made me want to visit oslo. >cactus
          >
          >From: "Stevo"
          >
          >Having just finally, gotten hold of a copy of the book Hardcore California
          >I'm trying to work out what other books on early U.S. Punk are neccessary.
          >already have This Band Could BE Your LIfe and Please KIll Me but what else
          >is considered essential? I just ordered WE GOt THe Neutron BOmb too. I know
          >there was one on D.C. that I saw excerpted a coupla years back. What I saw
          >was a short history of the Bad Brains, is the book Dance of DAys or another
          >one? Stevo

          >Don�t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

        • Stevo
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 28, 2004
            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "michael jackson" <emptyj4@h...>
            wrote:
            > there's the bluntly titled "American Hardore : A Tribal History" by
            Steven
            > Blush published by Feral House. It's not entirely objective, but a
            decent
            > read; note that Mr. Blush considers that HC died in 1986. I believe
            the DC
            > book is called "Banned in DC"
            > michael j

            Nope D.C. book was DAnce of DAys I had that confirmed elsewhere.
            Banned in D.C. is far more photocentric and has HR in German field
            jacket +Iron Cross on front cover.
            People have been debating the writing ability of Steve Blush
            elsewhere. SEems like there was somer great material collected but
            writing is not brilliant.
            Stevo
            Np MInutemen Post-Mersh vol1 The Anchor
          • R. Lim
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30, 2004
              Definitely Clinton Heylin's _From the Velvets to the Voidoids_, especially
              notable for its inclusion of the Cleveland scene. Lotsa primary source
              material and refreshingly not dedicated to myth-building.

              -rob

              --
              Janitor From Mars archives and more @ http://www.wfmu.org/~rlim
            • Martin Johansson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
                Hi everyone,

                I've just discovered Roland Kirks Natural Black Inventions: Roots Strata and
                especially the song Black Root and now I want to find jazz that are similar
                to this record/song. So if any of you can help me I would be very grateful.

                /Martin

              • Perfect Sound Forever
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
                  At 10:40 AM 7/31/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                  > Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:45:16 -0400 (EDT)
                  > From: "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@...>
                  >Subject: Re: Punk books?
                  >
                  >Definitely Clinton Heylin's _From the Velvets to the Voidoids_, especially
                  >notable for its inclusion of the Cleveland scene. Lotsa primary source
                  >material and refreshingly not dedicated to myth-building.
                  >
                  > -rob
                  >
                  >On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Stevo wrote:
                  >
                  > > Having just finally, gotten hold of a copy of the book Hardcore
                  > > California I'm trying to work out what other books on early U.S. Punk
                  > > are neccessary.

                  Be aware that the Heylin book has a lot of factual errors- I found this out
                  when I was interviewing several artists who are covered in the book, some
                  of whom were outright hostile about the book itself.

                  The recent We've Got the Neutron Bomb (covering West Coast punk) and Legs
                  McNeil's Please Kill Me (covering mostly NY punk) are definitely worth
                  getting. The ultimate tome about punk rock might be Jon Savage's England's
                  Dreaming though.

                  Best,
                  Jason

                  Perfect Sound Forever