Re: Earthmonkey Audiosapien

  • Mitchell Shannon Loe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2004
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Stevo" <stevolende@y...> wrote:
      > Has anybody heard the band Earthmonkey?
      > I've been thinking of getting the Audiosapien cd cos I found it for
      > $12 online. I'm being told by the South African saxaphonist geezer
      > who's on it that the vinyl is almost twice as long. Unfortunately I
      > can't play vinyl.

      The vinyl is twice as long because of the bonus lp which is nice, but
      not as interesting as the main stuff which is also on the CD.

      > I'm hearing that its pretty great early 70s like space
      > rock/psychedelic type stuff. How essential is it?

      Essential? Probably not. I'm a NWW type, so it was essential for me,
      pre-ordered both versions. The packaging and disk artwork for the LP
      are very nice. Musically, it's sometimes just this side of trip-hop,
      which I don't usually care for. Not that there are a lot of normally
      processed samples, but the beat is almost always present and generally
      sounds synthetic. What I like most about NWW is the unpredictability,
      the sheer dare of experimentation. Left turns occur at any time.
      With Audiosapien, things are smoother, more predictable. The trippier
      parts are nice, sure, but I don't find myself returning to it a lot.
      Have you heard Olivia Tremor Control? Take the spacier, "modern"
      instrumental parts of Cubist Castle (or one of the instrumental
      disks), take it a notch closer to NWW, add a few more beats, there you
      have it.
      Mitch