RE: [thewire] Digest Number 2145

  • Wilson, Carl
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2004
      John of Grooves writes:
      > Dear Wire-ettes,
      > Are there any good record shops dealing in indie/Wire-y type
      > music in the
      > Toronto area? I'm over here for most of the summer so I'd
      > like to take advantage of the fact that Canada is considerably less
      > expensive than the UK.

      John - Welcome to Torontopia! My main recommendation would be Soundscapes on College St. at Manning; a fairly small boutique but with a very deliberate and careful selection, and very smart staff (including many local musicians). More emphasis on the indie than the Wire-y, but a good helping of the latter for sure. Also check out Rotate This on Queen St. a couple blocks west of Bathurst -- more the punk end of indie, but not excessively so. Those are the two mainstays. And, by the way, for news of local events in similar realms, keep an eye on my website (see below).

      Carl Wilson
      (music writer, The Globe & Mail and www.zoilus.com)