Re: [thewire] Re: Eno reissues

  • jamello@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2004
      In a message dated 5/6/2004 4:07:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      stevolende@... writes:
      But I would assume there was going to be some sound improvement, the
      technology keeps improving and I notice that various older cds seem
      to have quiter mastering. Not sure if that's true with Eno.
      ok, i just did a side-by-side comparison on "here come the warm jets."
      keeping in mind that i have a pretty decent but not super high-end audiophile sound
      system, i can say with certainty that the reissue is a bit louder (but not
      much), with a bit better clarity and separation of instruments (or however the
      audiophile dudes describe it)...and, for some reason, one second longer! (and
      no, i don't think that officially qualifies as a "bonus").

      verdict: good but not slap-your-forehead/amazingly different and brilliant
      sounding; worth it if you're a big eno fan or don't already have them on cd;
      *perhaps* worth it if you're a less-than-huge enophile but have a chunk of change
      burning a hole in your pocket.

      but at the end of the day, the music itself on these first four albums is
      just so bloody cool and timeless that you've gotta love 'em in any form.