Re: Eno reissues

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2004
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "philT" <nns@b...> wrote:
      > not remastered? i think that they are, in fact, remastered to a
      large
      > extent. or to the extent that the best remastering of old material
      is
      > performed - carefull analogue to digital conversion with little or
      no
      > fiddling afterwards. as you stated, the originals sound good
      already (on
      > both vinyl and cd) so all i'd hope for is a bigger depth of sound
      or for
      > previously covered sound to become uncovered. apparently the system
      they're
      > using is excellent at this sort of clarity. but, yes, if the
      results aren't
      > going to be spectacularly different then it does seem like a bit of
      a money
      > making excercise.
      >
      > philT

      Somebody somewhere said that they were coming out as full price cdss
      again. I think the last batch are now mid price.
      But I would assume there was going to be some sound improvement, the
      technology keeps improving and I notice that various older cds seem
      to have quiter mastering. Not sure if that's true with Eno.
      I thought the point was that they were duplicating an original to
      better quality cd technology and not messing around with the sound
      while doing so. No Zappa-esque redo that part and say that's the way
      that it would have been done if they'd had the chance earlier.
      If they're doing things directly from the original mixed tapes would
      that cover possible mispressings on the original vinyl?
      Stevo
      Np Blackfeather At THe Mountains of madness The Rat (Suite)
    • jamello@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2004
        In a message dated 5/6/2004 4:07:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        stevolende@... writes:
        But I would assume there was going to be some sound improvement, the
        technology keeps improving and I notice that various older cds seem
        to have quiter mastering. Not sure if that's true with Eno.
        ok, i just did a side-by-side comparison on "here come the warm jets."
        keeping in mind that i have a pretty decent but not super high-end audiophile sound
        system, i can say with certainty that the reissue is a bit louder (but not
        much), with a bit better clarity and separation of instruments (or however the
        audiophile dudes describe it)...and, for some reason, one second longer! (and
        no, i don't think that officially qualifies as a "bonus").

        verdict: good but not slap-your-forehead/amazingly different and brilliant
        sounding; worth it if you're a big eno fan or don't already have them on cd;
        *perhaps* worth it if you're a less-than-huge enophile but have a chunk of change
        burning a hole in your pocket.

        but at the end of the day, the music itself on these first four albums is
        just so bloody cool and timeless that you've gotta love 'em in any form.