Eno reissues

  • jamello@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2004
      Someone asked about these a while back. A friend of mine in the biz just
      gave me promos of the first four, reissued by Astralwerks in the US (street date
      June 1.)

      The sound is quite good, no bonus tracks. The note on the back of the promo
      cds says: "The transfer from the Original Masters has been undertaken with
      great care by Simon Heyworth using "Class A" analogue electronics combined with
      the best analogue to digital conversion. No attempt has been made to
      re-equalize, remix or in any way tamper with or alter the original EQ'ed analogue
      production masters. These are the Original Masters as Brian Eno intended them to
      be heard."

    • gradyfinklemyer
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2004
        But is it really worth it to buy them again if you already have
        them? Seems to me like another case of a record label trying to sell
        you something you already have. Not even remastered? And that
        wouldn't be much of a bonus anyway, since the original cd issues
        already sound good. What a rip-off.

        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, jamello@a... wrote:
        > Someone asked about these a while back. A friend of mine in the
        biz just
        > gave me promos of the first four, reissued by Astralwerks in the US
        (street date
        > June 1.)
        >
        > The sound is quite good, no bonus tracks. The note on the back of
        the promo
        > cds says: "The transfer from the Original Masters has been
        undertaken with
        > great care by Simon Heyworth using "Class A" analogue electronics
        combined with
        > the best analogue to digital conversion. No attempt has been made
        > re-equalize, remix or in any way tamper with or alter the original
        EQ'ed analogue
        > production masters. These are the Original Masters as Brian Eno
        intended them to
        > be heard."

      • philT
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2004
          not remastered? i think that they are, in fact, remastered to a large
          extent. or to the extent that the best remastering of old material is
          performed - carefull analogue to digital conversion with little or no
          fiddling afterwards. as you stated, the originals sound good already (on
          both vinyl and cd) so all i'd hope for is a bigger depth of sound or for
          previously covered sound to become uncovered. apparently the system they're
          using is excellent at this sort of clarity. but, yes, if the results aren't
          going to be spectacularly different then it does seem like a bit of a money
          making excercise.

          philT

          > But is it really worth it to buy them again if you already have
          > them? Seems to me like another case of a record label trying to sell
          > you something you already have. Not even remastered? And that
          > wouldn't be much of a bonus anyway, since the original cd issues
          > already sound good. What a rip-off.

        • Stevo
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6, 2004
            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "philT" <nns@b...> wrote:
            > not remastered? i think that they are, in fact, remastered to a
            large
            > extent. or to the extent that the best remastering of old material
            is
            > performed - carefull analogue to digital conversion with little or
            no
            > fiddling afterwards. as you stated, the originals sound good
            already (on
            > both vinyl and cd) so all i'd hope for is a bigger depth of sound
            or for
            > previously covered sound to become uncovered. apparently the system
            they're
            > using is excellent at this sort of clarity. but, yes, if the
            results aren't
            > going to be spectacularly different then it does seem like a bit of
            a money
            > making excercise.
            >
            > philT

            Somebody somewhere said that they were coming out as full price cdss
            again. I think the last batch are now mid price.
            But I would assume there was going to be some sound improvement, the
            technology keeps improving and I notice that various older cds seem
            to have quiter mastering. Not sure if that's true with Eno.
            I thought the point was that they were duplicating an original to
            better quality cd technology and not messing around with the sound
            while doing so. No Zappa-esque redo that part and say that's the way
            that it would have been done if they'd had the chance earlier.
            If they're doing things directly from the original mixed tapes would
            that cover possible mispressings on the original vinyl?
            Stevo
            Np Blackfeather At THe Mountains of madness The Rat (Suite)
          • jamello@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 6, 2004
              In a message dated 5/6/2004 4:07:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              stevolende@... writes:
              But I would assume there was going to be some sound improvement, the
              technology keeps improving and I notice that various older cds seem
              to have quiter mastering. Not sure if that's true with Eno.
              ok, i just did a side-by-side comparison on "here come the warm jets."
              keeping in mind that i have a pretty decent but not super high-end audiophile sound
              system, i can say with certainty that the reissue is a bit louder (but not
              much), with a bit better clarity and separation of instruments (or however the
              audiophile dudes describe it)...and, for some reason, one second longer! (and
              no, i don't think that officially qualifies as a "bonus").

              verdict: good but not slap-your-forehead/amazingly different and brilliant
              sounding; worth it if you're a big eno fan or don't already have them on cd;
              *perhaps* worth it if you're a less-than-huge enophile but have a chunk of change
              burning a hole in your pocket.

              but at the end of the day, the music itself on these first four albums is
              just so bloody cool and timeless that you've gotta love 'em in any form.