DIAGRAM: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

  • Praemedia
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2004
      DIAGRAM: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

      DIAGRAM is an electronic magazine of text, art,
      schematic, and (as of recently) sound. Aside from our
      online presence (which receives well over 30,000 hits
      a month), we publish a periodic print anthology
      (available through Amazon, our website, and fine
      bookstores) as well as a chapbook series.

      Throughout its monthly 2004 issues, DIAGRAM will
      publish audio art exploring the intersection of text,
      language, sound. This is a call for
      artists/musicians/writers working in sound to submit
      audio pieces for consideration.

      Please take the time to peruse the journal prior to
      submission. Submissions may include field recordings,
      abstraction, spoken word, electronic or acoustic
      music, [insert any other shorthand description of
      sound exploration you please], or any combination
      thereof, so long as it addresses in some way, our
      interests: In oddness. In representations. In naming.
      In indicating. In the way that meaning happens within
      rule-governed systems. In schematics. In the labeling
      and taxonomy of things. In the phenomenal distance
      between sound and source. In sound work that engages
      in dialog; takes language or poetry or narrative as
      its subject, object, or referent, master or servant;
      addresses the language at the morpheme, phoneme,
      handsign, lips and tongue-level. WE VALUE the insides
      of things, vivisection, urgency, risk, elegance,
      flamboyance, work that moves us, language that does
      something new, or does something old--well. We like
      iteration and reiteration. Ruins and ghosts.
      Mechanical, moving parts, balloons, and frenzy.

      WE WANT sound pieces that engage the mechanics of
      meaning/poetry; the processes / of things, both inner
      and outer; of sound-image, confused, manipulated and
      otherwise; pieces that demonstrate rather then
      explain; point and uncover rather than demolish; how
      things become. How they expire. How they move or
      churn, or stand. Send us sound analogous to
      annotations, schematics, poems, sentence diagrams,
      definitions. Translate into/from sound.

      PARAMETERS

      Please adhere to the following instructions when
      submitting work for consideration. Also, while our
      aesthetic and conceptual interests are broad,
      submitted work must seek to engage or address
      text/language in some way.

      Submissions must be received by May 31, 2004. Please
      limit pieces to
      3-4 minutes in length. Audio vignettes and cameos.

      We prefer electronic submissions (mp3) but will accept
      data files on
      CD-Rs, too (.wav, .aif, or high resolution stereo
      mp3s).

      Send zipped high resolution stereo mp3 files to
      earache@...

      All submissions should be accompanied by a brief
      artist's bio and a 'statement of intent' addressing
      the sound work.

      CD-R SUBMISSIONS:

      DIAGRAM
      Sound Art Submissions