Re: most psychedelic record?

  • gplcob
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 10, 2004
      Hum... I quite like "Listen to the sky" by the Sands, off one of
      those Nuggets comps. Begins like the perfect pop song, then turns
      into frantic noise-assault-meets-Godspeed. Tapestry of Delights
      (http://www.borderlinebooks.com/uk6070s/tapestry.html) says : "This
      outfit's finest moment was tucked away on the 'B' side to their first
      45. The song, Listen To The Sky, commences in a pleasant but
      innocuous pop style but soon develops into a psychedelic haze with
      siren sound effects before concluding with an interpretation of
      Holst's Mars from The Planet Suite. Mind blowin' stuff and strongly
      recommended. "

      Would love to find other records like this one.

      Gwendal

      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Stevo" <stevolende@y...> wrote:
      > Wondering if people here have any reccommendations in the way of
      > truly tripped out sounding psychedelic music. I keep finding things
      > that are only about half way there and don't quite frazzle the brain
      > cells.
      > What blasts yer brain?
      > Stevo
      > Np Goblin Suspiria Suspiria (narration)
    • John Jones
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2004
        I've had my mind blown by quite a few 'heavy' records
        - particularly in combination with acid or heavy dope:
        first time I heard Techno Animal's Re-entry, as well
        as various Coil tracks (esp. Time Machines and How to
        Destoy Angels) that sent my mind into psychedelic
        heaven. But, surprisingly, I think the one I'd go for
        is Os Mutantes second record - just the way that it
        veers from pop to bloody weirdness in a subtle manner
        that took me by surprise and sent me spinning.

        JJ

        --- gplcob <g.cobert@...> wrote: > Hum... I
        quite like "Listen to the sky" by the
        > Sands, off one of
        > those Nuggets comps. Begins like the perfect pop
        > song, then turns
        > into frantic noise-assault-meets-Godspeed. Tapestry
        > of Delights

        (http://www.borderlinebooks.com/uk6070s/tapestry.html)
        > says : "This
        > outfit's finest moment was tucked away on the 'B'
        > side to their first
        > 45. The song, Listen To The Sky, commences in a
        > pleasant but
        > innocuous pop style but soon develops into a
        > psychedelic haze with
        > siren sound effects before concluding with an
        > interpretation of
        > Holst's Mars from The Planet Suite. Mind blowin'
        > stuff and strongly
        > recommended. "
        >
        > Would love to find other records like this one.
        >
        > Gwendal
        >
        > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Stevo"
        > <stevolende@y...> wrote:
        > > Wondering if people here have any reccommendations
        > in the way of
        > > truly tripped out sounding psychedelic music. I
        > keep finding things
        > > that are only about half way there and don't quite
        > frazzle the brain
        > > cells.
        > > What blasts yer brain?
        > > Stevo
        > > Np Goblin Suspiria Suspiria (narration)

      • gradyfinklemyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2004
          Early King Crimson covered Holst's Mars theme too. There's two
          versions on the Epitaph live set.

          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "gplcob" <g.cobert@t...> wrote:
          > Hum... I quite like "Listen to the sky" by the Sands, off one of
          > those Nuggets comps. Begins like the perfect pop song, then turns
          > into frantic noise-assault-meets-Godspeed. Tapestry of Delights
          > (http://www.borderlinebooks.com/uk6070s/tapestry.html) says : "This
          > outfit's finest moment was tucked away on the 'B' side to their
          first
          > 45. The song, Listen To The Sky, commences in a pleasant but
          > innocuous pop style but soon develops into a psychedelic haze with
          > siren sound effects before concluding with an interpretation of
          > Holst's Mars from The Planet Suite. Mind blowin' stuff and strongly
          > recommended. "
          >
          > Would love to find other records like this one.
          >
          > Gwendal
          >
          > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Stevo" <stevolende@y...> wrote:
          > > Wondering if people here have any reccommendations in the way of
          > > truly tripped out sounding psychedelic music. I keep finding
          things
          > > that are only about half way there and don't quite frazzle the
          brain
          > > cells.
          > > What blasts yer brain?
          > > Stevo
          > > Np Goblin Suspiria Suspiria (narration)
        • Paul Collett
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 11, 2004
            If you're looking for stuff with guitars, etc, how about early Twisted
            Village releases - esp. Vermonster "Spirit of Yma" or Brother JT
            "Meshes of the Afternoon"?

            On Feb 10, 2004, at 5:35 AM, Stevo wrote:

            > Wondering if people here have any reccommendations in the way of
            > truly tripped out sounding psychedelic music. I keep finding things
            > that are only about half way there and don't quite frazzle the brain
            > cells.
            > What blasts yer brain?
            > Stevo
            > Np Goblin Suspiria Suspiria (narration)

          • Stevo
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2004
              --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Paul Collett <list@n...> wrote:
              > If you're looking for stuff with guitars, etc, how about early
              Twisted
              > Village releases - esp. Vermonster "Spirit of Yma"

              was this ever released on cd? or the other lp by them?I had the vinyl
              but its long long gone. Would love another copy on cd.

              or Brother JT
              > "Meshes of the Afternoon"?

              Still haveen't checked this guy out but I've seen some good reviews
              in old copies of Your Flesh etc
              BTW does anybody know what Your Flesh's paypal address is. I saw
              something somewhere about being able to get hold of back copies that
              way but can't find it now.
              stevo
            • brother yort
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11, 2004
                Vermonster's Holy Sound of the American Pipe 2LP was issued as a dblCD (on a japanese label Timebomb). I think this one is just as good as Spirit of YMA and they stretch out the songs into far out territories.

                Good luck finding those two early Brother JT LPs (Meshes in the Afternoon and Descent)..they were both very limited and looong gone.
                Apparently there is talk to reissue them with extra tracks, but who knows when that will materialize. Though they definitely deserve a proper reissue.

                There are some other JT LPs that are worth tracking down and probably still around. I always dug Holy Ghost Stories and Music for the Other Head (accompanied by Vibrolux) for the damaged take on psychedelia. Pretty much all his stuff has psychedelic aspects, though the more recent LPs on Drag City have less of a bedroom psych vibe and more rock orientation I suppose.

                Troy