most psychedelic record?

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2004
      Wondering if people here have any reccommendations in the way of
      truly tripped out sounding psychedelic music. I keep finding things
      that are only about half way there and don't quite frazzle the brain
      cells.
      What blasts yer brain?
      Stevo
      Np Goblin Suspiria Suspiria (narration)
    • gplcob
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2004
        Hum... I quite like "Listen to the sky" by the Sands, off one of
        those Nuggets comps. Begins like the perfect pop song, then turns
        into frantic noise-assault-meets-Godspeed. Tapestry of Delights
        (http://www.borderlinebooks.com/uk6070s/tapestry.html) says : "This
        outfit's finest moment was tucked away on the 'B' side to their first
        45. The song, Listen To The Sky, commences in a pleasant but
        innocuous pop style but soon develops into a psychedelic haze with
        siren sound effects before concluding with an interpretation of
        Holst's Mars from The Planet Suite. Mind blowin' stuff and strongly
        recommended. "

        Would love to find other records like this one.

        Gwendal

        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Stevo" <stevolende@y...> wrote:
        > Wondering if people here have any reccommendations in the way of
        > truly tripped out sounding psychedelic music. I keep finding things
        > that are only about half way there and don't quite frazzle the brain
        > cells.
        > What blasts yer brain?
        > Stevo
        > Np Goblin Suspiria Suspiria (narration)
      • John Jones
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2004
          I've had my mind blown by quite a few 'heavy' records
          - particularly in combination with acid or heavy dope:
          first time I heard Techno Animal's Re-entry, as well
          as various Coil tracks (esp. Time Machines and How to
          Destoy Angels) that sent my mind into psychedelic
          heaven. But, surprisingly, I think the one I'd go for
          is Os Mutantes second record - just the way that it
          veers from pop to bloody weirdness in a subtle manner
          that took me by surprise and sent me spinning.

          JJ

          --- gplcob <g.cobert@...> wrote: > Hum... I
          quite like "Listen to the sky" by the
          > Sands, off one of
          > those Nuggets comps. Begins like the perfect pop
          > song, then turns
          > into frantic noise-assault-meets-Godspeed. Tapestry
          > of Delights

          (http://www.borderlinebooks.com/uk6070s/tapestry.html)
          > says : "This
          > outfit's finest moment was tucked away on the 'B'
          > side to their first
          > 45. The song, Listen To The Sky, commences in a
          > pleasant but
          > innocuous pop style but soon develops into a
          > psychedelic haze with
          > siren sound effects before concluding with an
          > interpretation of
          > Holst's Mars from The Planet Suite. Mind blowin'
          > stuff and strongly
          > recommended. "
          >
          > Would love to find other records like this one.
          >
          > Gwendal
          >
          > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Stevo"
          > <stevolende@y...> wrote:
          > > Wondering if people here have any reccommendations
          > in the way of
          > > truly tripped out sounding psychedelic music. I
          > keep finding things
          > > that are only about half way there and don't quite
          > frazzle the brain
          > > cells.
          > > What blasts yer brain?
          > > Stevo
          > > Np Goblin Suspiria Suspiria (narration)

        • gradyfinklemyer
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 10, 2004
            Early King Crimson covered Holst's Mars theme too. There's two
            versions on the Epitaph live set.

            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "gplcob" <g.cobert@t...> wrote:
            > Hum... I quite like "Listen to the sky" by the Sands, off one of
            > those Nuggets comps. Begins like the perfect pop song, then turns
            > into frantic noise-assault-meets-Godspeed. Tapestry of Delights
            > (http://www.borderlinebooks.com/uk6070s/tapestry.html) says : "This
            > outfit's finest moment was tucked away on the 'B' side to their
            first
            > 45. The song, Listen To The Sky, commences in a pleasant but
            > innocuous pop style but soon develops into a psychedelic haze with
            > siren sound effects before concluding with an interpretation of
            > Holst's Mars from The Planet Suite. Mind blowin' stuff and strongly
            > recommended. "
            >
            > Would love to find other records like this one.
            >
            > Gwendal
            >
            > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Stevo" <stevolende@y...> wrote:
            > > Wondering if people here have any reccommendations in the way of
            > > truly tripped out sounding psychedelic music. I keep finding
            things
            > > that are only about half way there and don't quite frazzle the
            brain
            > > cells.
            > > What blasts yer brain?
            > > Stevo
            > > Np Goblin Suspiria Suspiria (narration)
          • Paul Collett
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2004
              If you're looking for stuff with guitars, etc, how about early Twisted
              Village releases - esp. Vermonster "Spirit of Yma" or Brother JT
              "Meshes of the Afternoon"?

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11, 2004
                --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Paul Collett <list@n...> wrote:
                > If you're looking for stuff with guitars, etc, how about early
                Twisted
                > Village releases - esp. Vermonster "Spirit of Yma"

                was this ever released on cd? or the other lp by them?I had the vinyl
                but its long long gone. Would love another copy on cd.

                or Brother JT
                > "Meshes of the Afternoon"?

                Still haveen't checked this guy out but I've seen some good reviews
                in old copies of Your Flesh etc
                BTW does anybody know what Your Flesh's paypal address is. I saw
                something somewhere about being able to get hold of back copies that
                way but can't find it now.
                stevo
              • brother yort
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 11, 2004
                  Vermonster's Holy Sound of the American Pipe 2LP was issued as a dblCD (on a japanese label Timebomb). I think this one is just as good as Spirit of YMA and they stretch out the songs into far out territories.

                  Good luck finding those two early Brother JT LPs (Meshes in the Afternoon and Descent)..they were both very limited and looong gone.
                  Apparently there is talk to reissue them with extra tracks, but who knows when that will materialize. Though they definitely deserve a proper reissue.

                  There are some other JT LPs that are worth tracking down and probably still around. I always dug Holy Ghost Stories and Music for the Other Head (accompanied by Vibrolux) for the damaged take on psychedelia. Pretty much all his stuff has psychedelic aspects, though the more recent LPs on Drag City have less of a bedroom psych vibe and more rock orientation I suppose.

                  Troy