Gainsbourg & other French pop

  • A.S. Van Dorston
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      A few years after a couple compilations touched on Serge Gainsbourg's
      catalog, and artists like Beck and Momus talking him up, they finally
      reissued a good chunk of his individual albums. And Dusty Groove carries
      most of 'em. Is this list missing anything essential?

      Serge Gainsbourg Number 2 (Philips Fr) 59 $15 Dusty Groove
      L'Etonnant Serge Gainsbourg (Philips Fr) 61 $10 Dusty Groove
      Serge Gainsbourg Number 4 (Philips Fr) 62 $15 Dusty Groove
      Confidentiel (Philips Fr) 63 $15 Dusty Groove
      Gainsbourg Percussions (Philips Fr) 64 $15 Dusty Groove
      Bonnie & Clyde (Virgin Fr) 68
      Initials B.B. (Polygram) 68 $15 Dusty Groove
      Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin (Virgin Fr) 69 $15 Dusty Groove
      Cannabis / Ce Sacre Grand-Pere (Universal Fr) 70
      Histoire de Melody Nelson (Philips Fr) 71 $15 Dusty Groove
      Vu De L' Exterieur (Philips Fr) 73 $15 Dusty Groove
      Rock Around The Bunker (Philips Fr) 75
      L' Homme a Tete De Chou (Philips Fr) 76 $15 Dusty Groove
      Aux Armes Et Caetera (Universal Fr) 79 $19 Dusty Groove

      Related:
      Brigitte Bardot * Brigitte (Philips/Universal Fr) 63 $10 Dusty Groove
      Brigitte Bardot * Brigitte Bardot Show (Universal/AZ Fr) 67 $13 Dusty Groove
      Pierre Barouh * Ca Va, Ca Vient (Saravah Fr) 71 $15 Dusty Groove
      Jane Birkin * Di Doo Dah (Fontana/Universal Fr) 73 $13 Dusty Groove
      Jane Birkin * Ex Fan Des Sixties (Fontana/Universal Fr) 78 $13 Dusty Groove
      Francoise Hardy * Comment Te Dire Adieu (EMI Japan) 68 $27 Dusty Groove

      Anybody know Benjamin Biolay? A bit of a Gainsbourg acolyte. Plus, he
      married Chiara Mastrioianni, the daughter of Catherine Deneuve and Marcello
      Mastroianni (oouuiee).

      Benjamin Biolay * Rose Kennedy (Virgin ) 02
      A wonderful set of moody pop numbers -- recorded by Benjamin Biolay, one of
      France's greatest pop producers of recent years! Biolay's had a hand in
      work by Keren Ann and Coralie Clement -- and on his own, as a singer, he
      sounds every bit as great as those two artists -- working in a style that's
      got evocative touches of late 60s work from France and the UK, a haunting
      blend of tunes that more than lives up to the promise of the cover and the
      title! Biolay's vocals are as breathy as Serge Gainsbourg's, produced with
      lots of raspy edges on the percussion, and broad washes of sound that fill
      in the spaces between the notes with color and memory. Titles include
      "Souls Le Soleil Du Mois D'Aout", "Novembre Toute L'Anee", "Les Roses Et
      Les Promesses", "Les Cerfs Volants", "La Melodie Du Bonheur", and
      "L'Observatoire".

      Benjamin Biolay * Negatif (EMI) 03
      Brilliant work from one of the most exciting talents in French music of the
      past decade -- the amazing Benjamin Biolay, a singer with a sound that's
      steeped in the traditions of Serge Gainsbourg, and a producer with a style
      that brings together countless classic French pop elements! This is
      Biolay's masterpiece -- a rich tapestry of strings, beats, acoustic
      instrumentation, and the occasional electronic touch -- all wrapped around
      lyrics that are as gentle as they are sinister! Titles include "Chaise A
      Tokyo", "Glory Hole", "L'Autocar Planche", "Nuits Blanches", "Chere
      Inconnue", "Holland Spring", and "Little Darlin".

      Fast 'n' Bulbous Music Webzine
      www.fastnbulbous.com

    • gplcob
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
        Regarding Gainsbourg : yes, you're missing quite a couple, esp his
        albums from the 80's, that were quite different but very interesting
        (though most Gainsbourg fans might disagree...). There's been a 17-CD
        boxset issued
        (http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AQJPK/qid=1075714757/sr=2-
        1/ref=sr_2_3_1/171-1927418-1342626)
        Most of the CDs in this box can be purchased individually... and I'm
        not sure it includes the two albums that were recently re-released as
        double CDs with "dub" versions included (from his reggae period
        http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009PM57/qid=1075714757/sr=1-
        7/ref=sr_1_3_7/171-1927418-1342626)

        Regarding Biolay, I can't stand the guy, but that might be just
        because I don't like his voice ; actually Coralie Clément is his
        sister, and her album a little gem in the bossa-nova style. Biolay
        produces and /or writes for a good chunk of contemporary pop ; if
        you're interested in him, also make sure you check Bertrand Burgalat,
        who runs the Tricatel label and has a solo career as well (worked
        with Mick Harvey, Neubauten...). There was a great Tricatel comp, "Au
        coeur de Tricatel". And if you're into Gainsboug, you might want to
        check out Michel Polnareff as well... Nick Cave has made a hilarious
        cover of one of his songs on the above Tricatel comp...

        Hope this helps !

        Gwendal

        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "A.S. Van Dorston" <anthony@f...>