WRECK: SUB/Dis/Harmonic Laswell

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2004

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: no. 243: Sub/Dis/Harmonic Laswell

      Maandag, 12 Januari 2004 (17.00 to 19.00)

      SIMUL-streaming <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      "Did god make the tapeworm?"
      o Tuli Kupferberg, "O God!"

      "God is a tray of plunder."
      o Persian proverb

      "Paradise is only to be found on the back of a horse or in the arms
      of one's beloved."
      o Arab proverb

      Finite State Machine Dub > Bill Laswell [1]
      Warm Time Machine > Praxis [2]
      Transfer Complete > Web [3]
      Mystery of Shape Changing > Bill Laswell [4]
      Dream Light > Divination [5]
      Eternal Drift > Bill Laswell [6]
      La Forza del Destino [Overture] > Bill Laswell & the Material Strings [7]
      Holy Mountain > Bill Laswell [6]
      Chaos > Hakim Bey [8]
      Mantra > Material [9]
      Poetic Terrorism > Hakim Bey [8]
      Above the Sky > India Project [10]
      Painless Steel > Automaton [11]
      The Hook > Praxis [12]
      Rebel Music > Bob Marley vs Bill Laswell [13]
      Amour Fou > Hakim Bey [8]
      It's About time > Miles Davis vs Bill Laswell [14]
      Dead Drop > Cypher 7 [15]

      "Šin the 1970s New York City was not a part of the United States at
      all. It was an offshore interzone with no shopping malls, few major
      chains, very few born-again Christians who had not been sent there on
      a mission, no golf courses, no sub-divisionsŠ We thought of the place
      as a free city, like one of those pre-war nests of intrigue and
      licentiousness where exiles and lamsters and refugees found shelter
      in a tangle of improbable juxtapositions [Š] I wasn't born in NY, and
      I may never live there again, and just thinking about it makes me
      melancholy, but I was forever changed by it, and my imagination
      manacled to it, and I wear its mark the way you wear a scarŠ"
      o Luc Sante, from his new afterword to the republication of "LOW LIFE"

      [1] "Crooklyn Dub Outernational Presents Certified Dope, vol. 4:
      Babylon is Burning <www.wordsound.com>. Perfectly captures the
      dystopic feel of New York, there is the grungy ever-present hum that
      you can't tell whether it is psycho-acoustic [literally] or whether
      it is just environmental gone mental Š In any case, our surroundings
      lead to paranoia, vigilance, jadedness and some of the darkest dub in
      the world. This is the CD to beat for 2004 as far as I'm concerned.

      [2] "Subharmonic in DUB" on Select Cuts <www.echobeach.de> is a
      collection of tracks and artists from the eminently defunct label of
      odd gurgling and grumbling tones and beats from Laswell. It will be
      released shortly from the German dub crew at Echo Beach and Select
      Cuts. It will be a good somersault trip back into a bit of 1990s
      history. A welcome move since Laswell moves like a nervous shark,
      gobbling and producing without any notion that we may not be able to
      absorb all of the audio infoŠ This is clearly a problem in music in
      general. Too much music made by too many people for too many others
      to criticize and tout. See an excerpt of my liner notes from this
      forthcoming collection below [*].

      [3] "Subharmonic in DUB" on Select Cuts <www.echobeach.de>. Web was
      basically Laswell and venerable ambient DJ/producer Terre Thaemlitz
      who put out the CD "Web" in 1995, which presented their
      ghost-in-the-machine mystical computer-minimalist ambiences with some
      disquieting rattling and footsteps.

      [4] "Crooklyn Dub Outernational Presents Certified Dope, vol. 3:
      Escape from New York" on WordSound <www.wordsound.com>. This is some
      of the dingiest, surly sabotage dub around, except of course for vol.
      4. Includes Twilight Circus, Scarab, Layng Martine, Scotty hard,

      [5] "Subharmonic in DUB" on Select Cuts <www.echobeach.de>.
      Divination was an amorphous and omniverous sound clan of exotic
      ambiences; on Akasha (1995), includes Laswell, Anton Fier, DXT, Mick
      Harris and Haruomi Hosono (ex-Yellow Magic Orchestra
      bassist/producer). Divination Ambient Dub Vol. 2: Dead Slow (1994)
      narcoticized ambient dub-jungle with Laswell, Jah Wobble, Mick
      Harris, and Jeff Bova.

      [6] "Lost in Translation" with Nicky Skopelitis and Terre Thaemlitz.

      [7] "Operazone" on Knitting Factory <www.knittingfactory.com>. Not
      the first nor last time that 'rockers' attempt to get a hold of
      opera. Funnier was Malcolm McLaren's delvings into high culture held
      between the thighs. But here Laswell makes the Operazone sound like
      something from Burroughs's "interzone". Big beefy and surly majesty
      with a bit of gilded kitsch.

      [8] "T.A.Z." on Axiom, 1994. With Hakim Bey reading from his book,
      one of the most influential of the last 10 or 15 years. Anarchy with
      a delirious gift of precision poetry. Great starting point for those
      who wonder about the joys inherent in anarchy as way of life.

      [9] "Hallucination Engine" on Island, 1994. When I first played this
      at a live gig in early 1994 at the Old Mustard Factory people went
      crazy. Loud, dubby, mesmerizing and exotic with a muscle-bound
      backbeat. Material remains a sporadic ensemble with Laswell as only
      steady member includes stellar round-robin of musicians including
      Nicky Skopelitis, Sly Dunbar, Simon Shaheen, Shankar, and
      vocals/inspiration/texts courtesy of William S. Burroughs.

      [10] "City of Light" was an excursion into Indian ambiences, a
      synthesis of Indian sounds and Western senses starring Coil, Lori
      Carson, Janet Rienstra, Trilok Gurtu, tetsuo Inoue and Christopher

      [11] "Crooklyn Dub Consortium: Certified Dope, vol. 1"
      <www.wordsound.com>. This is the disc that started it all [for me]
      back in 1995 when I was still @ WFMU. This got more airplay from me
      than any other single disc that year and then I saw them DJ-open for
      Dub Syndicate at S.O.B's in NY. Yes, I had long been
      wandering-walking everywhere and absorbing WAY too much of NY and
      this music seemed to perfectly mirror and magnify my moods. Automaton
      is an ensemble/strategy of Sufi dub mysticism courtesy of Laswell,
      Nicky Skopelitis, Liu Haydn, Tetsu Inoue, and Robert Musso.

      [12] "Subharmonic in DUB" on Select Cuts <www.echobeach.de>. Praxis
      happened when in the early 1980s, Laswell gathered this noisy
      jazz-funk alignment of frenetic conniption funk-core including
      Buckethead, Bootsy Collins and Bernie Worrell, turntablist AF Next
      Man Flip, and drummer Brain. Sacrifist (1994), Metatron (1994).

      [13] "Dreams of Freedom: Ambient Translations of Bob Marley In Dub"
      is a controversial nostalgic futurist project that involved
      re-enhancing Marley by emphasizing, drawing to the fore notes and
      phrases lost in earlier mixes, basically it updates Marley a bit
      without messing with the basic sound. Laswell actually keeps his ego
      in check for a successful reconstructionproject.

      [14] "Panthalassa: The Music of Miles Davis 1969-1974" on Columbia.
      This is the kind of record that makes jazz nuts scowl, mumbling all
      the way down to the top shelf liquor at the Blue Note; but really, BL
      has done some interesting through his re-engineering that clarifies
      and re-enhances some Davis funk and beat-driven themes. BL's presence
      is minimal actually.

      * Subharmonic as PsyOps* Weapon: When listening to Bill Laswell's
      more expansive subsonic headphone-oriented material one usually ends
      up in a "meta-tative" state, an exploded view featuring cognitive
      disorientation, courtesy of his swirling hypno-phonic backwashes and
      various trance-odelic humming-pulsating works with Tetsu Inoue that
      approximate a sonic soma or something like the contrary indolence of
      absinthe-drinkers as radical gesture. It's an altered state that
      borders on meditation and recalcitrance: a relaxed vigilance with
      senses trained to root out ethnomusical reductivists while at the
      same time appreciating the sorcery involved in the lunge toward
      boundlessness. Laswell's intuitive compositions - with emotion as
      notation and instinct as sheet music - conjure up gloomy cinemascopic
      images of devastation that list and bob across our collective
      dream-screens like Gavin Bryars' "Titanic" going down in a thick
      putrescent post-hopeful ambiance. I hear choppers clipping the low
      grey skies overhead through a lattice of whining hi-tension wires,
      strange blipping energy-grid transformers, nocturnal zither players;
      I hear the distant thunder of heavy shelling, smart bombs targeting
      anonymous civilian targets; I hear the gloomy bass-driven thrum and
      drone of obsolete machinery, its bio-electrical undertow dragging
      consciousness across the desolate terra incognita somewhere between
      Greenpoint and Grozny like a rusty bucket full of preconceptionsŠ."
      [from liner notes of "Subharmonic in DUB" on Select Cuts, 2004, by
      bart plantenga]

      "Collaboration - not appropriation. Translation - not interpretation.
      Life - not 'lifestyle.' Plagiarism as a cultural tactic should be
      directed at putrid capitalists, not potential comrades. "World"
      culture is either true co-creation, or it is nothing. Or worse than
      nothing - a sin against the holy spirit."
      o Hakim Bey

      o From Amicus [UK], the finance industry union, promotes Corporate
      Social Responsibility: "Indian workers suffer from dignity-at-work
      issues and are denied the right to union membership. They are often
      forced to change their accents and study 'Eastenders' and UK football
      scores to mask the fact they are based in India."

      o If you are a Republican... [courtesy of Paniculture, USA]

      If you are a Republican . . . 1 Being a drug addict is a moral
      failing and a crime, unless you're a reactionary right-wing radio
      host. Then it's an illness and you need our prayers for your recovery.

      2 Jesus loves you and shares your hatred of homosexuals and Hillary Clinton.

      3 The United States should get out of the United Nations, and our
      highest national priority is enforcing U.N. resolutions against Iraq.

      5 "Standing Tall for America" means firing your workers.

      7 The best way to improve military morale is to praise the troops in
      speeches while slashing veterans' benefits and combat pay.

      8 Group sex and drug use are degenerate sins unless you are a movie
      star and run for governor of California as a Republican.

      9 If condoms are kept out of schools, adolescents won't have sex.

      10 A good way to fight terrorism is to belittle our long-time allies,
      then demand their cooperation and money.

      11 HMOs and insurance companies have the best interest of the public at heart.

      12 Providing health care to all Iraqis is sound policy. Providing
      health care to all Americans is not.

      13 Global warming and tobacco's link to cancer are junk science, but
      Creationism should be taught in schools.

      20 Trade with Cuba is wrong because the country is communist, but
      trade with China and Vietnam is vital to a spirit of international

      o Cost of Deployment and Return <http://costofwar.com/> [ courtesy
      Black & Napoli in France]: Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld
      testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee on July 9 and in
      an interview on ABC's "This Week" on July 13 that the US military
      occupation is costing at least $3.9 billion a month. We began that
      rate on April 18., 2003.

      Interest Costs: although the stated cost of the war on April 17 was
      $34 billion, the actual cost was closer to $47.6 billion, due to the
      $13.6 billion we will be spending in interest. In addition, the cost
      of occupation is more accurately stated as $5.46 billion monthly, of
      which $1.56 billion is interest.

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      * under construction: <http://wreckthismess.com/intro.html>
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/>
      o Recent selected Playlists [early stages] at
      o Special playlists can be found at 3am Magazine
      <http://www.3ammagazine.com> under the title "Radiophotogram: Visual
      Radio". Also a depth-of-focus interview with Judy Nylon. and an
      excerpt from my paris novel, PARIS SEX TETE.

      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL