Electronomusic

  • Chris Whitehead
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2004
      I've got this record called 'Electronomusic 9' Images by a bloke
      called John Pfeiffer. Its on Victrola from 1969. Its early
      electronic music, charmingly clunky and off centre. The final track,
      After Hours, features the sound of typewriters and other office
      equipment in unison.

      Does anyone else have this? Can anyone offer me any info at all on
      the guy or other recordings? Who was he?

      Chris W
    • François Couture
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6 9:33 AM
        Sorry I'm late on this one.

        > I've got this record called 'Electronomusic 9' Images by a bloke
        > called John Pfeiffer. Its on Victrola from 1969. Its early
        > electronic music, charmingly clunky and off centre. The final track,
        > After Hours, features the sound of typewriters and other office
        > equipment in unison.
        >
        > Does anyone else have this? Can anyone offer me any info at all on
        > the guy or other recordings? Who was he?

        It took me a while to remember that I actually have this LP. Got it at a
        yard sale a few years ago, listened once I believe and dismissed as
        something in the vein of Perrey & Kingsey, but I just put on the turntable
        again and it is much more serious than that, even though it seems to cave in
        to the "novelty" trend record labels were exploiting back then. Some pieces
        bring to mind Arne Nordheim's late-'60s electronic pieces.

        As for info on the guy, all I can supply is what's written on the back
        sleeve, and I guess you already have that information...

        Best,

        Francois Couture
        Writer, journalist (All-Music Guide, Ici), translator, proofreader.
        Producer of Delire Actuel and Delire Musical, CFLX.

        Personal webpage / Page personnelle: http://membres.lycos.fr/fcouture
        Visitez / Visit the All-Music Guide at http://www.allmusic.com
      • Bruce Tennant
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6 4:53 PM
          I had also meant to respond to this earlier. Anyway...

          John Pfeiffer was *the* classical producer for decades for RCA. He died in 1996.
          Here is an obit I found on the web that mentions his electronic work:

          http://www.eternalflame.com/pfeiffer.htm

          John Pfeiffer, Classical Music Producer, Dies at 75
          By ALLAN KOZINN

          John F. Pfeiffer, an executive producer at RCA Red Seal who recorded many of the
          great classical musicians of the century during a 47-year career, died Thursday
          at his office in Manhattan. He was 75 and lived in Manhattan.

          Marilyn Egol, a spokeswoman for RCA, said that the cause was a heart attack.

          One of the last producers from a time now regarded as a golden age of recorded
          music, Pfeiffer was a genial man with an encyclopedic command of the history of
          recording and of the performing world, past and present.

          A producer who cared deeply about capturing a performance with a realistic sonic
          perspective, he also developed the diplomatic skills necessary to coax great
          performances from famous and sometimes temperamental artists who were not always
          comfortable before the microphones.

          Among Pfeiffer's productions were classic recordings by the violinist Jascha
          Heifetz, the pianists Vladimir Horowitz, Artur Rubinstein and Van Cliburn, the
          harpsichordist Wanda Landowska, the soprano Leontyne Price and the conductors
          Arturo Toscanini, Fritz Reiner, Leopold Stokowski, Eugene Ormandy and Charles
          Munch.

          "Somehow I always managed to give the artists the feeling I was on their side,"
          he said in an interview with Audio magazine in 1992, "that I was doing
          everything I could to help them do what they did best. It was my job to
          translate that onto a phonograph record, not to tell them how or what to do."

          In recent years, he oversaw the remastering for compact disk of dozens of
          historic recordings, many of which he had produced originally. His reissues of
          the complete recordings of Toscanini, Sergei Rachmaninoff and Jascha Heifetz
          have been critically praised and have won several awards.

          The Heifetz Collection, reissued last year, is a nominee for a Grammy award in
          the historical category.

          He also continued recording current artists, including the mezzo-sopranos
          Marilyn Horne and Frederica von Stade, and Xiang-Dong Kong, a young Chinese
          pianist.

          Pfeiffer was born in Tucson, Ariz., on Sept. 29, 1920. He studied music and
          engineering at the University of Arizona and Bethany College in Lindsborg, Kan.
          After naval service during World War II, he moved to New York, where he attended
          Columbia University and worked as a jazz pianist before joining RCA in 1949.

          His first job with the company was on the technical side, as a design engineer.
          He worked on teams that developed stereo and quadraphonic recording techniques,
          and coordinated RCA's entry into the world of digital recording in the late
          1970s.

          He was also a composer and combined his interests in music and engineering in
          "Electronomusic," an album of his own experimental electronic music that he
          recorded for RCA in 1968.

          In addition to his recording work, Pfeiffer was the audio producer for several
          televised classical music programs, including "Heifetz on Television," for CBS;
          "Horowitz Live," for NBC; the White House concerts by Horowitz, the cellist
          Mstislav Rostropovich and the soprano Leontyne Price, as well as installments of
          "Live From Lincoln Center" and "Live From the Met." He is survived by a
          half-brother, Leslie Wolf; two grandsons and two great-grandsons.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13 5:57 AM
            Thanks for the responses to my ELECTRONOMUSIC querie, sorry I'm a bit late responding too.

            Just after posting the message I also found that obituary on the web, which answered a lot of questions. You can't help thinking that its a radical departure for a classical producer to make such a quaintly futuristic record can you? Yet somehow it all falls into place.

            Chris W