Early Rough Trade

  • jamello@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2004
      http://www.wfmu.org/Playlists/Douglas/dw.011025.html

      Thought I'd share something I just saw...if you're feeling nostalgic for that
      original Brit punk/post-punk sound and want a cool soundtrack to your web
      surfing, go here and select the live stream of this October 25, 2001 show
      consisting of the first 53 Rough Trade singles.

      Sort of puts today's post-punk revivalists in their proper place.

      Jack

    • A.S. Van Dorston
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
        In my endless quest to fill in gaps, I've been researching some jazz stuff
        that I'd given up on finding last time I looked nine years ago. I'm
        surprised to find that, aside from Billie Holiday, the gaps in these VERY
        popular artists' catalogs are still there. Anyone have any info I don't
        know, please chime in.

        Ella has been grossly underrepresented in the years 1938 to 1955, the years
        between her big band stint with Chick Webb and her time on Verve. Probably
        her peak years! There is a two disc compilation that grazes on it, but
        nothing more that I know of:

        Ella Fitzgerald * 75th Birthday Celebration 1938-1955 (GRP)

        Anita O'Day's peak years were at Verve from around 1952-1960. There is a
        limited edition Mosaic 9 CD box of the whole damn thing for $144. A bit
        too expensive. It seems the only other extreme are spotty one-disc
        entries. How about an affordable 4 CD edition of the best tunes?

        Anita O'Day * Complete Anita O'Day Clef/Verve Sessions (Mosaic) 00 $144 Mosaic
        <http://www.mosaicrecords.com/DisplaySelectionDetail.asp?SelectionId=976>http://www.mosaicrecords.com/DisplaySelectionDetail.asp?SelectionId=976

        Sarah Vaughan is a mystery. I know she was affected by the recording ban
        in the 40s. I have one session from 1946-7 that's stellar, but the sound
        quality is poor. Her time on Columbia (1949-1953) is well-documented, but
        it's mostly pop. So where's the jazz? What happened to 1947-1948? And
        will the Mercury stuff ever come back in print? Each Volume was like $80
        when they were available. Again, is there not a more sane collection of
        just a few discs for under $50??

        Sarah Vaughan * The Complete Sarah Vaughan on Mercury Vol. 1: 1954-1956
        Sarah Vaughan * Complete Sarah Vaughan on Mercury, Vol. 2: Sings Great
        American Songs 1956-1957
        Sarah Vaughan * Complete Sarah Vaughan on Mercury, Vol. 3: Great Show on
        Stage 1954-1956

        Sarah Vaughan * The Complete Roulette Sarah Vaughan Studio Recordings
        1960-1963 (Mosaic) $128 Mosaic
        <http://www.mosaicrecords.com/DisplaySelectionDetail.asp?SelectionID=1027>http://www.mosaicrecords.com/DisplaySelectionDetail.asp?SelectionID=1027

        Same thing with Dinah. The only good comps were on Mercury, now out of print.

        Dinah Washington * Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury, Vol. 1 1946-1949
        Dinah Washington * Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury, Vol. 2 1950-1952
        Dinah Washington * Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury, Vol. 3 1952-1954
        Dinah Washington * Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury, Vol. 4 1954-1956

      • gplcob
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
          I don't have any answers to the original message, but since Billie
          Holiday was mentioned...
          I own her boxsets on Columbia and Verve, as the double-CDs on Jazz
          Factory, for her Commodore and Decca recordings ; am I missing
          anything ?

          Another artist I'd like to discover is Skip James, following the Soul
          Of A Man movie by Wim Wenders ; the movie mentions 18 guitar tracks
          and 8 piano tracks in the 1931 session, which ones are missing from
          the "Complete Early Recordings" comps (only 18 tracks in each) ? And
          with his later work, where should I start ? Same question with JB
          Lenoir, by the way...

          thanks in advance !

          Gwendal