WRECK: Blues Bleus Blooz Blauws

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2004

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: no. 237: Blues Bleus Blooz Blauws
      Maandag, 27 Oktober 2003 (17.00 to 19.00)
      SIMUL-streaming <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,
      signifies in the final sense
      a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and
      are not clothed."
      * President Dwight D. Eisenhower, April 16, 1953

      "You can read my letter but you can't read my mind."
      o Brownie McGhee

      "I wonder why the world is the way it is /
      I wonder why the world's in an uproar /
      Š People fightin' all over the world /
      I wonder when this nightmare comin' to an end /
      You find so many young people
      Fightin' in every town & on campus /
      Ole people, leave those young kids alone /
      Let them run their own livesŠ"
      o John Lee Hooker, "The World Today"

      Work or Leave > Elliot Sharp's Terraplane [1]
      Big House Blues > Pink Anderson [2]
      Dis-Mois Blues > Houtkamp's Pow3 [3]
      I Need Power > Retrieve State Farms, Texas Prisoners [4]
      Africanized Milking Cow > Houtkamp's Pow3 [3]
      Wake the Town > Little Axe [5]
      Work Song Workout 3 > Houtkamp's Pow3 [3]
      You Shook Me > Jeff Beck & Rod Stewart [6]
      Wimoweh > Pete Seeger [7]
      Market Connection - With Evil Nice > Sensational [8]
      Shake, Holler & Run > John Lee Hooker [9]
      The Death of Robert Johnson > Houtkamp's Pow3 [3]
      Phonograph Blues > Robert Johnson [10]
      The World Today > John Lee Hooker vs Canned Heat [11]
      Traces of Mississippi Rap Section #2 > Anne LeBaron vs Nitti & Kreator [12]
      You Drummer Listen Good > Keith LeBlanc [13]
      Revolution in Jazz > DJ Smash [14]
      Pont des Arts > St. Germain [15]
      Dry Mouth > John Mayall [16]
      Gaht Mayh Mohjo Woykin > Hearn Gadbois [17]
      Muddy Waters > Brownie MGhee & Sonny Terry [18]
      Homeless > Curtis Mayfield [19]
      Underground > Manasseh meets Equalizer vs Curtis Mayfield [20]
      Early in the Mornin' > Negro Prison Blues [21]
      Riot in Cell Block #9 > Houtkamp's Pow3 [3]
      Riot in Cell Block #9 > Wanda Jackson [22]
      How Long, How Long Blues > Lonny Donegan [23]
      When I Fall in Dub > Tommy McCook [24]
      Blueberry Hill > Jah Wobble [25]
      Take Me Up > Loren Mazzacane & Suzanne Vangille [26]
      I'll Never Get Out of These Blues Alive > Cowboy Junkies [27]
      I'll Never Get Out of These Blues Alive > John Lee Hooker [28]

      [1] "Blues for Next" on Knitting Factory <www.knittingfactory.com>
      Pinioned between moving, academic, honorable and execrable
      interpretations that are virtuosic although basically bloodless.

      [2] "Carolina Blues Man" on Prestige/Bluesville vinyl. The Pink part
      of Pink Floyd comes from this man. A medicine show entertainer for
      most of his life, singing popular standards, he saved his best and
      most original music, his blues songs, for private parties.
      Personifies the notion that the blues is pinioned on the notion of
      musical limitations creating a showcase for a deep-emotional and
      evocative singing style. He used to practice in the woods with his
      blind musician friend Simmie Dooley and a bottle of corn whiskey to
      lubricate their throats.

      [3] "The Thirteen Bar Blues" on X-Or <www.xs4all.nl/~xorluc>
      <xorluc@...>. If androids fell to earth and tried to unravel
      the mystery of the simple depths of the blues it would probably sound
      a little like this. In an attempt to use the computer to find the
      essential form of the blues and then play with it, Houtkamp's Pow3
      have created an interesting tension between soul and machine,
      investigation and improv whereby the musicians interact with computer
      generated blues riffs and the machines begin to assume an autonomy to
      the point where they may very likely be making their own blues music
      without the interference of human beings. One of my Top 30 Best of

      [4] "Negro Prison Camp Work Songs" on Folkways vinyl. The source of
      much mythical recuperation of suffering rehabilitated as

      [5] "The Wolf That House Built" Skip McDonald's excellent renovations
      of blues [esp. Howlin' Wolf] via trip hop and dub. Major effective
      sampling. One of my faves from the mid-1990s.

      [6] "Truth / Beck-Ola" on Epic vinyl. Great unselfconscious white
      blues homages to the greats. Of this Willie Dixon / JB Lenoir classic
      Jeff Beck writes: "Probably the rudest sounds ever recorded. Intended
      for listneing whilst angry or stoned." Say no more.

      [7] "Pete Seeger's Greatest Hits" on CBS. Song known for its use of
      Caribbean yodeling. Converted into mega-pop-hit as "Lion Sleeps
      Tonight" by the Tokens.

      [8] "Natural Shine" on WordSound <www.wordsound.com> One of the great
      extemporaneous rappers of jive and soothing outrage. He could have
      done vocal trips with Mingus.

      [9] "Folk Blues" on Crown vinyl. One of the great one-man bands:
      guitar, soul, voice, tapping foot.

      [10] "Crossroad Blues" on Newsound. Had a mystical sense of
      apocalypse due to truly tormented life and demons inside his head,
      that destined him to die young, miserable, tragically - poisoned by a
      girlfriend while he was performing in a juke joint.

      [11] "Hooker 'n' Heat" on Liberty. Great boogie blues. One of the
      best white blues-based rock bands that could lend something to their
      black blues heroes and not make it look like spirit leaching.

      [12] "Musicworks" on SOCAN <www.musicworks.ca>. Interesting but
      uneven compilations of mostly Canadian composition. This piece just
      points out the perils of weaving intellectual concern to something to
      do with soul. Hi brow hitching a ride with lo brow [people's music].

      [13] "Major Malfunction" on Select Cuts <www.echobeach.de>. The
      original On-U release was very influential. LeBlanc house drummer for
      the early history of rap and the seminal On-U projects goes on his
      own. Pyrotechnic drumming from a master although it lacks some

      [14] Great piece although I can't for the life of me put my finger on
      the source off hand.

      [15] "Tourist" on Blue Note. One of my favorite Euro downbeat lounge
      concepts combining great licks, hooks and samples for soulful bluesy
      jazzy danceable shit. One of my fave records of the past few years
      despite their popularity. This piece uses John Lee Hooker's voice to
      great atmospheric effect.

      [16] "Jazz Blues Fusion" on Polydor. Mayall was my first serious
      blues introduction. Although white and British, he pointed astutely
      and reverentially to all of his influences. Somewhere between
      inspired and studious, reverential and himself influential in his
      dogged promotion of blues and employing many great black and white
      blues in his sometimes inspired and sometimes messy ensembles.

      [17] Great recombined cyborg blues.

      [18] "Blues All Around My Head" on Prestige/Bluesville vinyl. Crafty
      & obstinate country blues.

      [19] One of my all time favorite soul voices and lyricists.

      [20] "Step Like Pepper" on Select Cuts <www.selectcuts.de>. Taking
      dub out of the lounge and into shark-infested waters. This rivals the
      best of Twilight, Mossman, BSI, WordSound, Pitchblack, DubMission,
      WTM compilations, Mad ProfessorŠ It also has a conceptual tightness
      that is sometimes lacking from other ganja-fueled dub projects. No
      hippy-dippy noodling here. Great massive reuse of Mayfield's

      [21] One of the most resonant and moving pieces of music in my entire
      collection. Reused by several ambient-dub enterprises including
      Guerilla Warfare & Soap Powder.

      [22] "Let's Have a Party" on Charly vinyl, 1986. Sexy Baptist Queen
      of rock'n'roll toured with Elvis in the early days who encouraged her
      to rock out. Also produced some rockin' yodel numbers. Cooler chicks
      never rolled out of any hay anywhere.

      [23] "An Englishman Sings American Folk Songs" on Mercury vinyl. UK
      crossover hit and Mr. Skiffle plundered US folk music who with cheap
      instruments is credited with starting the UK DIY movement of anyone
      can do music. The lateŠ

      [24] "Blazing Horns Tenor in Roots" on <www.selectcuts.de>.
      Cuban-born tenor saxophonist and founding member of the Skatalites
      helped revolutionize Jamaican music with his brassy input.

      [25] "The Legend Lives On" on Virgin 1990. Early collection of Jah
      Wobble highlights. He was a huge influence on me with his bass-ic
      influence in PiL.

      [26] Great somber unredeeming relentlessly blue songs.

      [27] Post-punk modernist roots, mythic cowboy, drugs, blues & Velvet
      Underground made for one of the oddest and most memorable 1980s
      interpretations of blues.

      [28] Got to see him live in Paris 1990 backed or tightly framed by a
      white long-hair shaking boogie band. Ugh. JLH was great when he got
      to solo and that is when the outdoor Paris crowd clapped the hardest.
      I wonder if the backing band took notice. I was there with a nervous
      skinny American woman artist friend who had the sexiest bones poking
      through her skin. We never made out although we DID hover in one
      another's presence like two drunken bumblebees buzzing over
      blossoming flowers.

      oo IN THE VERY NEAR future I will be doing part two of this Blues
      thang but this time with a "real blues DJ" as Michel, an all-vinyl
      man will be my guest in the coming weeks. I will be presenting the
      interesting synergistic/ersatz blues stuff with Michel supplying the
      REAL thing.

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/>
      o Recent selected Playlists [early stages] at
      o Special playlists can be found at 3am Magazine
      <http://www.3ammagazine.com> under the title "Radiophotogram: Visual
      Radio". Also posted is a depth-of-focus interview with Judy Nylon.
      Plus excerpts from my paris novel, PARIS SEX TETEŠ
      o the first-ever Wreck This Mess site coming to a virtual ghetto near
      you soon courtesy of Pawel, the mad house builderŠ

      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL