Strangeways Riot - back by popular demand

  • bb454@boltblue.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2004
      Some years ago, Strangeways Prison in Manchester (just down the
      road from me) was the site of one of the worst prison riots in UK history.
      The 25-day riot was caused by overcrowding, and resulted in the
      burning and destruction of the prison and the deaths of one inmate and
      one prison officer.

      Big Block 454 put out a song about the riots at the time; nothing like
      what we do nowadays - proto-sampling and drum machines (you might
      catch the voice of Stuart Hall from "It's a Knock-Out"...) - but worth a
      listen.

      Anyway, this morning I got the following email:

      "Is this the same Big Block 454 on which I have an old cassette tape
      with a dance music show off Liverpool's Radio City with a song called
      "Strangeways Riot" ??
      If so how can I get a decent recording of the song ??
      We all loved it when we were 16 !!! it was one of the songs of our youth
      (Merrydown Cider and a pack of 10 Regal up the local field :-)   )
      Love get hold of a copy and play it to the lads and girls of who
      amazingly we still all see each other."

      I've managed to find a copy of the master tape and have put it up on the
      Big Block 454 Soundclick site.
      http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/bigblock454music.htm

      Have a listen to it now, as it's only going to be up there for a very short
      time...

      Actually, I didn't know we were ever played on Radio City. We were
      interviewed by a pirate radio station from Moss Side, who actually
      pulled the record off their show in the middle of playing it, as it was "too
      controversial" !

      --
      Big Block 454, Manchester, England
      bb454@...