Re: [thewire] There's plenty of good Pgh music, just not those 4 bands

  • manny@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
      I should be writing for The Wire, period.

      After doing 2500+ shows and booking 60+ tours for experimental artists
      in the US, 15 years on the air at college radio, 13 years writing about
      music for the local alternweekly, and 3 years doing reviews for US IDM
      mag Grooves, among many other things. ;)
      But yes doing a Global Ear would be a good start.
      I know the guy who did the Baltimore one.
      He writes for the Baltimore city paper just like I write for the Pgh
      city paper here.
      And I know Chuck Bettis who did the DC one - he booked several of the
      tours I sent through D.C.
      So it makes sense.
      BTW, I once wrote a city scene report for Alternative Press but it never
      ran because the feature was canned the month before it was supposed to
      run. That, plus being blown off by Tomas of XLR8R,
      left me a bad taste in my mouth re national magazines.
      However an electronica scene article on Cleveland and Pittsburgh that I
      did for midwest art magazine Dialogue (kind of a regional New Art Examiner
      / High Performance) did run.

      Well anyway thanks and I'm glad I got a chance to expose Jack's spam for
      what it was. I don't even know who he is, probably just one of those
      lookalike dudes with the just-got-out-of-bed Brooklyn-wannabe hair who
      hang out at the semi-hip shows nowadays ;)

      How do I contact Rob Young - just use the general Wire e-mail addy?

      -MT

      On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Andrew Fleming wrote:

      > On 1/8/04 12:47 PM, "manny@..." <manny@...> wrote:
      >
      > > [tons of great things about what's going on in music in Pgh]
      >
      > The way things are set up, I have to approve everybody's first post to make
      > sure it isn't spam. That was Jack's first post to the list, and when I saw
      > it in the queue, I debated whether or not I should ignore the promo-like
      > tone and approve his post. I'm glad I did- that was a great overview of
      > what's going on around your area. Maybe you should talk to Rob Young about
      > doing a Global Ear for Pgh?
      >
      > -Andrew

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Michael J. Salo
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 9, 2004
        > After doing 2500+ shows and booking 60+ tours for experimental artists
        > in the US, 15 years on the air at college radio, 13 years writing about
        > music for the local alternweekly, and 3 years doing reviews for US IDM
        > mag Grooves, among many other things. ;)
        > But yes doing a Global Ear would be a good start.

        Manny rocks. Give him a piece to write and he'll totally run with it. I
        don't know of anyone who could do a more comprehensive scene report on
        Pittsburgh.

        As long as you think you can handle his in yo face style. :)

        "Global Ear - Pittsburgh," hah hah, makes it sound like some strange exotic
        place, which I suppose it is.

        Michael J. Salo
      • Stevo
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 17, 2004
          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Jim Flannery <newgrange@t...> wrote:
          > This sentence made my morning. (Reminds me of a Sonic Youth 7" ...)

          Isn't Christgau still extant though?
          I remember seeing SY at the Acklam Hall or whatever it was called at
          the time Bay 63? (definitely pre-Subterranea). It was an afternoon gig
          pretty intense, after uit half the audience trekked up to Rough Trade
          and bought that single.
          I recall Kim Gordon wearing a t-shirt with the first Die kreuzen lp
          sleeve on it. I think that was the first time I came across them,
          I've now recently got the October File cd with that lp as bonus
          tracks. Still sounds great now.
          Stevo