Re: [thewire] Re: was Osama Bin Laden interviewed for the new issue?

  • James Duncan
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 7, 2004
      holy hmmm...maybe you should stay out of politics too.

      i really dont know what angle you are trying to take
      on DS comments as it seems to me that you are making
      some rather blanket "on the surface" idiotic comments
      yourself.

      the one thing that watching the 3000 ppl die first
      hand has taugh me (atleast) is that death and human
      suffering work and are played out unfort on many
      different levels, and debate on this one event must be
      seen a greater context (if only this was the norm, but
      who can change humna nature).

      to condemn someone's "overtly simple ideas" with the
      ones that youve transplanted (which from these seats
      seem equally simple), does nothing to further the
      discourse of discussion that DS in engaging in..althou
      i havent read the article so i wont comment on his
      points.

      do we even need a greater discourse? that remains to
      be seen. 3000 ppl have died. not alot will change that
      at the end of the day

      at one point during the various subway anthrax and
      bomb threats that were happening here in the city
      after 9-11, i contemplated carrying a card in my
      wallet asking that no wars be fought in my name should
      i be killed. a rather macabre take on current events,
      but something that i thought would add to the
      discourse in the event of my death from another
      terrorist attack.

      we talk about avenging the death of the dead, but are
      we even sure that the dead would want their deaths
      avenged? for they cannot speak.

      so if youre goin to start a discussion on these highly
      topical points, please take the time to succinctly
      explain your postion rather than throw a bunch of "hot
      button" type phrases together so we can get an idea of
      what youre trying to say.

      cause right now, i for one am totally lost.

      --- gradyfinklemyer <gradyfinklemyer@...>

    • Stevo
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 17, 2004
        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Jim Flannery <newgrange@t...> wrote:
        > Thursday, January 8, 2004, 4:24:00 PM, one spoke:
        > (There's a great interview w/ Berkeley prof. George Lakoff on this
        > subject here:
        >
        > http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2003/10/27_lakoff.shtml
        > )

        ireally like that guy George Lakoff's book Women, Fire and DAngerous
        Things. I had to read it for a project I was doing last year and
        found its basic premise that category is an artificial concept
        fascinating.
        I think that's the basis of this framing thing he's talking about in
        that interview too.
        Stevo