Re: [thewire] Pittsburgh music is thriving

  • John Eastridge
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 7, 2004
      yeah i haven't been in pittsburgh long but i have tried to find out about
      local bands as much as i could and i haven't heard of any of these bands
      besides camera. i saw them a couple weeks ago and my friend described them
      well in calling them a "a gap commercial that turned into a band." a french
      kicks without the good songwriting.

      john eastridge

> [...]
      > >undeniable talent and therefore i must scarafice myself to prove it
      > >to the world)
      > >
      > >These boys always draw a crowd, get girls to dance, and actually have
      > >GOOD songs. It's just what I always wanted in my city. I am just so
      > >pleased to see this.... It gives me something to be excited about and
      > >it lets me go see a good show in MY TOWN a lot more often.
      > >
      > >Everyone check these kids out.... NOW. You won't be sorry.
      > >
      > >SHADE www.shaderocks.com
      > >
      > >"Shade draws upon the darkened lights of Shoegaze artists My Bloody
      > >Valentine, Ride, and Lush. Other parts of the album dive into Sonic
      > >Youth and some early Pavement. This Pittsburgh Rock n Roll outfit
      > >definitely competes with modern artists such as Interpol and Black
      > >Rebel Motorcycle Club."
      > >John Johnson Pittbands.com
      > >

      > >CAMERA www.thisiscamera.com
      > >
      > >"A dozen or so Pittsburgh-to-New York transplants showed up, as did
      > >an extremely large number of locals who'd either traveled with them,
      > >came for CMJ or just happened to be in the neighborhood. Nearly the
      > >entire floor was filled with us -- it was unreal. Once Camera took to
      > >the stage, after the first few beats of their energetic, stylish pop
      > >rock, everyone was dancing -- and not just nodding their heads with
      > >crossed arms and tapping feet"
      > >cindy yogmas, pulp
      > >
      > >CAMERA ACTION
      > >Fresh from rocking the CMJ Music Fest with a really big organ,
      > >Camera, one of Pittsburgh's more inspired up-and-coming bands,
      > >returns to New York City, where its three-song EP recently cracked
      > >the Top 20 at WNYU, for an A&R showcase Saturday at a club called
      > >Pianos on Ludlow Street. They're set to hit the stage at midnight or
      > >so. ed masley, pittsbrugh post gazette
      > >

      > >WYNKATAUG MONKS www.wmonks.com
      > >
      > >The monks are simply the best live band I've seen in a long time.
      > >With Pavement meets Weezer song stylings. Harmonies that get you out
      > >of your seat. Every show packed with kids ready to dance and destroy
      > >the floor. You find yourself singing along to songs you've never
      > >heard. And just when you think you've got the gist of the song they
      > >switch it on you, and it works every time. A band that practices at
      > >least 20 hours a week, how can you go wrong? You can't!
      > >

      > >BLACK TIE REVUE www.thesequelpolice.com
      > >
      > >I saw a great little band at Howler's last night. The Black Tie Revue
      > >kicked out the jams, the way a band does when it's just starting out.
      > >A band is never quite as potent as in its first few shows. A little
      > >bit of nerves is a good, good thing, as is having something to prove
      > >and nothing to lose, except perhaps a shot at taking a girl home just
      > >because you're in a band, any band. I'm fond of a decent measure of
      > >stage antics and instrument wrangling as well, and these lads were up
      > >to the task. I came thisclose to being knocked out or blinded by a
      > >flying bass headstock. Rock & roll. Jilly.org
      > >
      > >Check out these bands. They don't dissapoint

      Have fun customizing MSN Messenger � learn how here!
      http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize
    • manny@telerama.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
        Dear Wire list readers-

        I have been reading the Wire for 13 years and on this list for several.
        I am from Pittsburgh. I have been much deeper involved in the scene here
        for a hell of a lot longer (18 years, 2500+ concerts, 50+ releases, etc)
        than whoever this Jack Flynn is (and also have been well aware of what is
        going on everywhere, and able to connect, compare and relate the two).
        His statement is a gross exaggeration.
        None of these bands are that good, and none of them are doing anything
        interesting other than perhaps getting girls to come and dance. But
        Peaches does that too and I don't see musicians emulating her here.
        There are plenty of medicore rock bands here - the four he mentioned do
        not particularly rise above the history of that pack.

        The Modey Lemon is passable, but speaking of 'punk' a lot of their initial
        popularity was due to being connected to Anti-Flag's label. Being on
        Birdman is nice, but it doesn't make you sound any less like the Jon
        Spencer Blues Explosion (and having a single on In the Red proves it
        even more). But at least they have some White Stripe-esque chutzpah.
        And they tour a lot.

        but the other four bands Jack Flynn has mentioned don't have a pot to
        piss in, per se. Nor do they tour hardly at all.
        Camera, a supposed 'dancepunk' band which really isn't dancepunk at all
        but some kind of 60s pop throwback, is negligible. Their stance is mostly
        based on fashion (that of the 60s meets that of the White Stripes). The
        singer's wife owns a vintage clothing store and poses her husband in the
        ads. Meanwhile, the singer (Shane) was in a much better band for many
        years - called LowSunday. They were a top shoegaze outfit, with Slowdive
        and Ride references, and managed to put out an album on Projekt. They
        mysteriously broke up, and re-emerged as this retro-pap. No good. I would
        have much preferred that Lowsunday continue as they were.

        Shade is mediocre, I've seen them a few times and had them open some of
        my shows. They bring a crowd but do nothing intense musically.
        Sounding like Interpol or BRMC is being several years too late, which
        everything in Pittsburgh always is.
        Black Tie Revue is worse - their straight ahead modrock kid pose seems so
        calculated like they watched MTV and tried to figure out what teenage
        hipsters wanted to see.
        Finally, Wynkataug Monks I have not seen yet, but the description ' Weezer
        meets Pavement" doesn't make me want to. And I did a couple shows for
        Pavement in the early 90s so I know.

        I never talk about Pittsburgh on national lists because I don't feel it's
        necessary - when something good comes from here (which it regularly
        does) you will know about it because it's good (perhaps reviewd in the
        Wire), not because I blab about it on some list.
        But I must tell you I've been sorely disappointed by the crop
        of bands coming out of there for at least the past five years or so.
        The so-called 'uninventive indie rockers'? Jack Flynn doesn't have a
        clue. Was he even there for the first half of the 90s? They invented
        the hell out of the basement scene we were in and it showed.
        As to the Gen-X 1986-1996 yesteryear which he apparently missed, this
        includes:
        1) Don Caballero, one of the biggest giants of math/prog indie rock.
        2) Karl Hendricks Trio - who had seven albums out including several on
        Merge, and is still around.
        3) The Speaking Canaries - epic rock bombast like Crystallized Movements
        meets The Champs, still around and just put out a new LP advertised in the
        Wire (on Scat / 12XU).
        4) Blunderbuss - Nice Strong Arm/live Skull influenced, one CD on
        Homestead, still around.
        5) Weird Paul - goofy Daniel Johnston/Jad Fair type songwriter, one CD
        on Homestead, still around.
        6) Water Shed 5tet - Curlew/Naked City-style jazzrock quintet, several
        CDs out on Rastascan & Tautology, etc. Broke up but the saxophonist
        leader, Ben Opie, now has an Arkestra-style group called Opek 15. They can
        never tour because they are too big, but hopefully a recording can come
        out of it. He does originals and Sun Ra, Braxton, etc.
        7) P. Children - electroacoustic/industrial performance group, several
        releases out on RRR and Charnel Music etc.
        and a bunch more.
        8) The Cynics - one of the most respected neo-psych bands ever, toured
        Europe and Japan, put out seven albums, run their own label and distro
        empire (Get Hip Records), still around.
        And by extension other bands in Get Hip's
        orbit such as the Mount McKinleys.
        9) The Pittsburgh punk scene legends, from Half Life and Submachine
        to Aus Rotten/Caustic Christ and Anti-Flag and Silver Tongued Devil.
        Worldwide, Pgh is better known for its punk rock than anything.
        (Read Slug & Lettuce, MRR, or Profane Existence and you'll see).
        10) Experimental noise stalwarts, such as Macronympha (who put out
        several dozen tapes, CDs, 7"s and LPs on many known noise labels).
        And improv group Ensemble Duchamp, who came closest to the Euro-style
        union of free jazz and avant-classical than anyone else here (CD on
        Sachimay, advertised in the Wire last year).
        11) The Garden (Apollyon Records) and Underflowers (Bedaazzled) - two
        ethereal-leaning goth bands who *knew* what to do with influences from
        the Cocteaus, Dead Can Dance, And Also The Trees, etc.
        12) while we're at it let's go back to the boomer-postpunk era and
        mention Carsickness (several albums and 7"s - Byron Coleyy once put
        them on his top 100 band you never heard of, in Spin) and The Five
        (arty postpunks, singer Reid Paley now has a Nick Cave/Tom Waits-esque
        solo career living in NYC, he toured with Frank Black etc).

        all way better than these wannabe garage/pop come latelies.
        And if that wasn't good enough, the newer generation is also holding
        it down. But in contrast with Jack's claims, the real inventive action
        is in the experimental/electronic or other realms here, not really in rock
        anymore. including:
        1) Xanopticon - breakcore madman, on Hymen, Peaceoff, Tigerbeat6, etc.
        Toured Europe and the U.S. a couple times.
        2) Colongib - IDM whiz with his own Kracfive label (friends with Kettel).
        3) Girl Talk - plunderphonic kid with CD on Illegal Art. Donna Summer
        bites his style! :)
        4) Shawn Rudiman - techno/electro producer, releases on Seventh City,
        many Detroit connections via his Technoir Audio posse, toured Europe.
        5) Hiphop - from the old school stylings of Lone Catalysts (toured Europe,
        friends with Talib Kweli) to the genius goofs of Grand Buffet (friends
        with Anticon, toured Europe and US with Sole, Sage Francis, and Wesley
        Willis rip. and are the only unsigned band on the Kork agency roster).
        6) Michael Johnsen - a quietly 'inventive' electronic whiz kind of like
        Voice Crack meets David Tudor, he's been mentioned in the Wire twice for
        being a highlight at Baltimore's High Zero improv fest.
        7) you want *dancepunk*? the only real dancepunk band around here to
        develop so far is The Mary Celeste. they have nothing out yet, but they
        actually listen to the Rapture, as well as Fugazi or whatever, so they
        'get it' better than any of the bands Jack mentioned. No one really
        'gets' electroclash here per se yet, but that's no big tragedy anyway.
        8) Jeremy Boyle. ex-member of Joan of Arc, he does art installations in
        museums worlwide, and also makes minimal electronic music (again, the
        self-built circuits thing). He's also in an indie band called Arrivals
        & Departures, which are not stellar but certainly more on the ball than
        the bands Jack has mentioned.

        of course, if Jack dances around and drinks in bars and meets girls, he is
        not going to know about any of these things. he and the girls need to use
        their brains, which they can't do if they continue to operate from a total
        lack of frame of reference by shutting out and ignoring useful and
        relevant information (like everyone does here). EEven though I am constantly
        writing about these artists in the local paper (huge articles) nobody
        much seems to care here about any kind of forward-thinking, Wire-level
        type music. We have two great college radio stations - Carnegie Mellon's
        WRCT is almost on the level of an WFMU and I know because I DJ'd there
        for 15 years - but no one listen to them - they all listen to the
        commercial or AAA-public station instead, and think it's 'edgy'. When
        Peter Brotzmann or Gerry Hemingway or Ken Vandermark comes, we are lucky
        to get 40 people at the show because practically nobody has reference
        points for avant-jazz or experimental music (unless, of course, an art
        museum endorses it - then they still don't know what it is but they come).

        So, jack, don't tell these people what you think they should know about
        Pittsburgh, because you don't have one fucking half-assed clue. Go back
        to drinking your Iron City or Penn Pilsner or whatever.
        -MT
        BTW I don't know why you're even posting this on the Wire list, Jack.
        the Wire never pandered to the garage rock revival hype, even if the 4
        bands you mention don't even quality as being good enough to be part of
        that revival anyway. if you actually read the Wire for any length of
        time, you would no longer be excited about those bands, either.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
          Oh yeah, thanks, John, I couldn't mention everybody in one swoop.
          I forgot about Meisha and Arco Flute Foundation - kind of the closest
          thing Pittsburgh has to the Jim O'Rourke camp and the Constellation
          Records sound. They are great. Meisha has good CDs, checm em out,
          Arco has releases on John Fail's label Cenotaph, which also put out
          a CD for a Volcano The Bear side project, etc.

          and John, these 4 bands Jack mentioned don't play at 'frat bars', they
          play at hipster rock 'n roll bars. Hipsters here are not that hip,
          scenesters here do not know the scene - the whole thing is a misnomer.

          -MT

        • manny@telerama.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
            you are exactly right - though I think the commercial would more likely
            be Tar-zhay.

          • john w fail
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
              thanks for the kind words, manny.

              i hope i didn't seem too condescending there; i don't go to shows as
              much as i used to but i still feel like i have some grip on the music
              scene here, and those bands seem to irrelevant to the interests of this
              list, which is why i felt compelled to reply.

              speaking of local experimental music, i saw an improv due of local
              artists jim lingo and adam strohm on sunday that was one of the most
              enjoyable bits of local music i have seen in a long time. lingo
              manipulated various bits of metal and plastic while srohm played
              prepared guitar; it was very sparse, and they used the room extremely
              well.

              -john

              manny@... wrote:

              >Oh yeah, thanks, John, I couldn't mention everybody in one swoop.
              >I forgot about Meisha and Arco Flute Foundation - kind of the closest
              >thing Pittsburgh has to the Jim O'Rourke camp and the Constellation
              >Records sound. They are great. Meisha has good CDs, checm em out,
              >Arco has releases on John Fail's label Cenotaph, which also put out
              >a CD for a Volcano The Bear side project, etc.
              >
              >and John, these 4 bands Jack mentioned don't play at 'frat bars', they
              >play at hipster rock 'n roll bars. Hipsters here are not that hip,
              >scenesters here do not know the scene - the whole thing is a misnomer.
              >

              >://groups.yahoo.com/group/thewire/

            • Andrew Fleming
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
                On 1/8/04 12:47 PM, "manny@..." <manny@...> wrote:

                > [tons of great things about what's going on in music in Pgh]

                The way things are set up, I have to approve everybody's first post to make
                sure it isn't spam. That was Jack's first post to the list, and when I saw
                it in the queue, I debated whether or not I should ignore the promo-like
                tone and approve his post. I'm glad I did- that was a great overview of
                what's going on around your area. Maybe you should talk to Rob Young about
                doing a Global Ear for Pgh?

                -Andrew
              • manny@telerama.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
                  I should be writing for The Wire, period.

                  After doing 2500+ shows and booking 60+ tours for experimental artists
                  in the US, 15 years on the air at college radio, 13 years writing about
                  music for the local alternweekly, and 3 years doing reviews for US IDM
                  mag Grooves, among many other things. ;)
                  But yes doing a Global Ear would be a good start.
                  I know the guy who did the Baltimore one.
                  He writes for the Baltimore city paper just like I write for the Pgh
                  city paper here.
                  And I know Chuck Bettis who did the DC one - he booked several of the
                  tours I sent through D.C.
                  So it makes sense.
                  BTW, I once wrote a city scene report for Alternative Press but it never
                  ran because the feature was canned the month before it was supposed to
                  run. That, plus being blown off by Tomas of XLR8R,
                  left me a bad taste in my mouth re national magazines.
                  However an electronica scene article on Cleveland and Pittsburgh that I
                  did for midwest art magazine Dialogue (kind of a regional New Art Examiner
                  / High Performance) did run.

                  Well anyway thanks and I'm glad I got a chance to expose Jack's spam for
                  what it was. I don't even know who he is, probably just one of those
                  lookalike dudes with the just-got-out-of-bed Brooklyn-wannabe hair who
                  hang out at the semi-hip shows nowadays ;)

                  How do I contact Rob Young - just use the general Wire e-mail addy?

                  -MT

                  On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Andrew Fleming wrote:

                  > On 1/8/04 12:47 PM, "manny@..." <manny@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > [tons of great things about what's going on in music in Pgh]
                  >
                  > The way things are set up, I have to approve everybody's first post to make
                  > sure it isn't spam. That was Jack's first post to the list, and when I saw
                  > it in the queue, I debated whether or not I should ignore the promo-like
                  > tone and approve his post. I'm glad I did- that was a great overview of
                  > what's going on around your area. Maybe you should talk to Rob Young about
                  > doing a Global Ear for Pgh?
                  >
                  > -Andrew

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Michael J. Salo
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 9, 2004
                    > After doing 2500+ shows and booking 60+ tours for experimental artists
                    > in the US, 15 years on the air at college radio, 13 years writing about
                    > music for the local alternweekly, and 3 years doing reviews for US IDM
                    > mag Grooves, among many other things. ;)
                    > But yes doing a Global Ear would be a good start.

                    Manny rocks. Give him a piece to write and he'll totally run with it. I
                    don't know of anyone who could do a more comprehensive scene report on
                    Pittsburgh.

                    As long as you think you can handle his in yo face style. :)

                    "Global Ear - Pittsburgh," hah hah, makes it sound like some strange exotic
                    place, which I suppose it is.

                    Michael J. Salo
                  • Stevo
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 17, 2004
                      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Jim Flannery <newgrange@t...> wrote:
                      > This sentence made my morning. (Reminds me of a Sonic Youth 7" ...)

                      Isn't Christgau still extant though?
                      I remember seeing SY at the Acklam Hall or whatever it was called at
                      the time Bay 63? (definitely pre-Subterranea). It was an afternoon gig
                      pretty intense, after uit half the audience trekked up to Rough Trade
                      and bought that single.
                      I recall Kim Gordon wearing a t-shirt with the first Die kreuzen lp
                      sleeve on it. I think that was the first time I came across them,
                      I've now recently got the October File cd with that lp as bonus
                      tracks. Still sounds great now.
                      Stevo