Re: [thewire] Pittsburgh music is thriving

  • Jim Flannery
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 7, 2004
      Wednesday, January 7, 2004, 9:29:12 AM, one spoke:

      hype> Fresh from rocking the CMJ Music Fest with a really big organ,

      This sentence made my morning. (Reminds me of a Sonic Youth 7" ...)

      --
      Jim Flannery
      newgrange@...

      np: The User, _Symphony #2 for Dot Matrix Printers_
      nr: Frank Stanford, _The Battlefield Where the Moon Says I Love You_
    • John Eastridge
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 7, 2004
        yeah i haven't been in pittsburgh long but i have tried to find out about
        local bands as much as i could and i haven't heard of any of these bands
        besides camera. i saw them a couple weeks ago and my friend described them
        well in calling them a "a gap commercial that turned into a band." a french
        kicks without the good songwriting.

        john eastridge

> [...]
        > >undeniable talent and therefore i must scarafice myself to prove it
        > >to the world)
        > >
        > >These boys always draw a crowd, get girls to dance, and actually have
        > >GOOD songs. It's just what I always wanted in my city. I am just so
        > >pleased to see this.... It gives me something to be excited about and
        > >it lets me go see a good show in MY TOWN a lot more often.
        > >
        > >Everyone check these kids out.... NOW. You won't be sorry.
        > >
        > >SHADE www.shaderocks.com
        > >
        > >"Shade draws upon the darkened lights of Shoegaze artists My Bloody
        > >Valentine, Ride, and Lush. Other parts of the album dive into Sonic
        > >Youth and some early Pavement. This Pittsburgh Rock n Roll outfit
        > >definitely competes with modern artists such as Interpol and Black
        > >Rebel Motorcycle Club."
        > >John Johnson Pittbands.com
        > >

        > >CAMERA www.thisiscamera.com
        > >
        > >"A dozen or so Pittsburgh-to-New York transplants showed up, as did
        > >an extremely large number of locals who'd either traveled with them,
        > >came for CMJ or just happened to be in the neighborhood. Nearly the
        > >entire floor was filled with us -- it was unreal. Once Camera took to
        > >the stage, after the first few beats of their energetic, stylish pop
        > >rock, everyone was dancing -- and not just nodding their heads with
        > >crossed arms and tapping feet"
        > >cindy yogmas, pulp
        > >
        > >CAMERA ACTION
        > >Fresh from rocking the CMJ Music Fest with a really big organ,
        > >Camera, one of Pittsburgh's more inspired up-and-coming bands,
        > >returns to New York City, where its three-song EP recently cracked
        > >the Top 20 at WNYU, for an A&R showcase Saturday at a club called
        > >Pianos on Ludlow Street. They're set to hit the stage at midnight or
        > >so. ed masley, pittsbrugh post gazette
        > >

        > >WYNKATAUG MONKS www.wmonks.com
        > >
        > >The monks are simply the best live band I've seen in a long time.
        > >With Pavement meets Weezer song stylings. Harmonies that get you out
        > >of your seat. Every show packed with kids ready to dance and destroy
        > >the floor. You find yourself singing along to songs you've never
        > >heard. And just when you think you've got the gist of the song they
        > >switch it on you, and it works every time. A band that practices at
        > >least 20 hours a week, how can you go wrong? You can't!
        > >

        > >BLACK TIE REVUE www.thesequelpolice.com
        > >
        > >I saw a great little band at Howler's last night. The Black Tie Revue
        > >kicked out the jams, the way a band does when it's just starting out.
        > >A band is never quite as potent as in its first few shows. A little
        > >bit of nerves is a good, good thing, as is having something to prove
        > >and nothing to lose, except perhaps a shot at taking a girl home just
        > >because you're in a band, any band. I'm fond of a decent measure of
        > >stage antics and instrument wrangling as well, and these lads were up
        > >to the task. I came thisclose to being knocked out or blinded by a
        > >flying bass headstock. Rock & roll. Jilly.org
        > >
        > >Check out these bands. They don't dissapoint

        Have fun customizing MSN Messenger � learn how here!
        http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize
      • manny@telerama.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
          Dear Wire list readers-

          I have been reading the Wire for 13 years and on this list for several.
          I am from Pittsburgh. I have been much deeper involved in the scene here
          for a hell of a lot longer (18 years, 2500+ concerts, 50+ releases, etc)
          than whoever this Jack Flynn is (and also have been well aware of what is
          going on everywhere, and able to connect, compare and relate the two).
          His statement is a gross exaggeration.
          None of these bands are that good, and none of them are doing anything
          interesting other than perhaps getting girls to come and dance. But
          Peaches does that too and I don't see musicians emulating her here.
          There are plenty of medicore rock bands here - the four he mentioned do
          not particularly rise above the history of that pack.

          The Modey Lemon is passable, but speaking of 'punk' a lot of their initial
          popularity was due to being connected to Anti-Flag's label. Being on
          Birdman is nice, but it doesn't make you sound any less like the Jon
          Spencer Blues Explosion (and having a single on In the Red proves it
          even more). But at least they have some White Stripe-esque chutzpah.
          And they tour a lot.

          but the other four bands Jack Flynn has mentioned don't have a pot to
          piss in, per se. Nor do they tour hardly at all.
          Camera, a supposed 'dancepunk' band which really isn't dancepunk at all
          but some kind of 60s pop throwback, is negligible. Their stance is mostly
          based on fashion (that of the 60s meets that of the White Stripes). The
          singer's wife owns a vintage clothing store and poses her husband in the
          ads. Meanwhile, the singer (Shane) was in a much better band for many
          years - called LowSunday. They were a top shoegaze outfit, with Slowdive
          and Ride references, and managed to put out an album on Projekt. They
          mysteriously broke up, and re-emerged as this retro-pap. No good. I would
          have much preferred that Lowsunday continue as they were.

          Shade is mediocre, I've seen them a few times and had them open some of
          my shows. They bring a crowd but do nothing intense musically.
          Sounding like Interpol or BRMC is being several years too late, which
          everything in Pittsburgh always is.
          Black Tie Revue is worse - their straight ahead modrock kid pose seems so
          calculated like they watched MTV and tried to figure out what teenage
          hipsters wanted to see.
          Finally, Wynkataug Monks I have not seen yet, but the description ' Weezer
          meets Pavement" doesn't make me want to. And I did a couple shows for
          Pavement in the early 90s so I know.

          I never talk about Pittsburgh on national lists because I don't feel it's
          necessary - when something good comes from here (which it regularly
          does) you will know about it because it's good (perhaps reviewd in the
          Wire), not because I blab about it on some list.
          But I must tell you I've been sorely disappointed by the crop
          of bands coming out of there for at least the past five years or so.
          The so-called 'uninventive indie rockers'? Jack Flynn doesn't have a
          clue. Was he even there for the first half of the 90s? They invented
          the hell out of the basement scene we were in and it showed.
          As to the Gen-X 1986-1996 yesteryear which he apparently missed, this
          includes:
          1) Don Caballero, one of the biggest giants of math/prog indie rock.
          2) Karl Hendricks Trio - who had seven albums out including several on
          Merge, and is still around.
          3) The Speaking Canaries - epic rock bombast like Crystallized Movements
          meets The Champs, still around and just put out a new LP advertised in the
          Wire (on Scat / 12XU).
          4) Blunderbuss - Nice Strong Arm/live Skull influenced, one CD on
          Homestead, still around.
          5) Weird Paul - goofy Daniel Johnston/Jad Fair type songwriter, one CD
          on Homestead, still around.
          6) Water Shed 5tet - Curlew/Naked City-style jazzrock quintet, several
          CDs out on Rastascan & Tautology, etc. Broke up but the saxophonist
          leader, Ben Opie, now has an Arkestra-style group called Opek 15. They can
          never tour because they are too big, but hopefully a recording can come
          out of it. He does originals and Sun Ra, Braxton, etc.
          7) P. Children - electroacoustic/industrial performance group, several
          releases out on RRR and Charnel Music etc.
          and a bunch more.
          8) The Cynics - one of the most respected neo-psych bands ever, toured
          Europe and Japan, put out seven albums, run their own label and distro
          empire (Get Hip Records), still around.
          And by extension other bands in Get Hip's
          orbit such as the Mount McKinleys.
          9) The Pittsburgh punk scene legends, from Half Life and Submachine
          to Aus Rotten/Caustic Christ and Anti-Flag and Silver Tongued Devil.
          Worldwide, Pgh is better known for its punk rock than anything.
          (Read Slug & Lettuce, MRR, or Profane Existence and you'll see).
          10) Experimental noise stalwarts, such as Macronympha (who put out
          several dozen tapes, CDs, 7"s and LPs on many known noise labels).
          And improv group Ensemble Duchamp, who came closest to the Euro-style
          union of free jazz and avant-classical than anyone else here (CD on
          Sachimay, advertised in the Wire last year).
          11) The Garden (Apollyon Records) and Underflowers (Bedaazzled) - two
          ethereal-leaning goth bands who *knew* what to do with influences from
          the Cocteaus, Dead Can Dance, And Also The Trees, etc.
          12) while we're at it let's go back to the boomer-postpunk era and
          mention Carsickness (several albums and 7"s - Byron Coleyy once put
          them on his top 100 band you never heard of, in Spin) and The Five
          (arty postpunks, singer Reid Paley now has a Nick Cave/Tom Waits-esque
          solo career living in NYC, he toured with Frank Black etc).

          all way better than these wannabe garage/pop come latelies.
          And if that wasn't good enough, the newer generation is also holding
          it down. But in contrast with Jack's claims, the real inventive action
          is in the experimental/electronic or other realms here, not really in rock
          anymore. including:
          1) Xanopticon - breakcore madman, on Hymen, Peaceoff, Tigerbeat6, etc.
          Toured Europe and the U.S. a couple times.
          2) Colongib - IDM whiz with his own Kracfive label (friends with Kettel).
          3) Girl Talk - plunderphonic kid with CD on Illegal Art. Donna Summer
          bites his style! :)
          4) Shawn Rudiman - techno/electro producer, releases on Seventh City,
          many Detroit connections via his Technoir Audio posse, toured Europe.
          5) Hiphop - from the old school stylings of Lone Catalysts (toured Europe,
          friends with Talib Kweli) to the genius goofs of Grand Buffet (friends
          with Anticon, toured Europe and US with Sole, Sage Francis, and Wesley
          Willis rip. and are the only unsigned band on the Kork agency roster).
          6) Michael Johnsen - a quietly 'inventive' electronic whiz kind of like
          Voice Crack meets David Tudor, he's been mentioned in the Wire twice for
          being a highlight at Baltimore's High Zero improv fest.
          7) you want *dancepunk*? the only real dancepunk band around here to
          develop so far is The Mary Celeste. they have nothing out yet, but they
          actually listen to the Rapture, as well as Fugazi or whatever, so they
          'get it' better than any of the bands Jack mentioned. No one really
          'gets' electroclash here per se yet, but that's no big tragedy anyway.
          8) Jeremy Boyle. ex-member of Joan of Arc, he does art installations in
          museums worlwide, and also makes minimal electronic music (again, the
          self-built circuits thing). He's also in an indie band called Arrivals
          & Departures, which are not stellar but certainly more on the ball than
          the bands Jack has mentioned.

          of course, if Jack dances around and drinks in bars and meets girls, he is
          not going to know about any of these things. he and the girls need to use
          their brains, which they can't do if they continue to operate from a total
          lack of frame of reference by shutting out and ignoring useful and
          relevant information (like everyone does here). EEven though I am constantly
          writing about these artists in the local paper (huge articles) nobody
          much seems to care here about any kind of forward-thinking, Wire-level
          type music. We have two great college radio stations - Carnegie Mellon's
          WRCT is almost on the level of an WFMU and I know because I DJ'd there
          for 15 years - but no one listen to them - they all listen to the
          commercial or AAA-public station instead, and think it's 'edgy'. When
          Peter Brotzmann or Gerry Hemingway or Ken Vandermark comes, we are lucky
          to get 40 people at the show because practically nobody has reference
          points for avant-jazz or experimental music (unless, of course, an art
          museum endorses it - then they still don't know what it is but they come).

          So, jack, don't tell these people what you think they should know about
          Pittsburgh, because you don't have one fucking half-assed clue. Go back
          to drinking your Iron City or Penn Pilsner or whatever.
          -MT
          BTW I don't know why you're even posting this on the Wire list, Jack.
          the Wire never pandered to the garage rock revival hype, even if the 4
          bands you mention don't even quality as being good enough to be part of
          that revival anyway. if you actually read the Wire for any length of
          time, you would no longer be excited about those bands, either.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
            Oh yeah, thanks, John, I couldn't mention everybody in one swoop.
            I forgot about Meisha and Arco Flute Foundation - kind of the closest
            thing Pittsburgh has to the Jim O'Rourke camp and the Constellation
            Records sound. They are great. Meisha has good CDs, checm em out,
            Arco has releases on John Fail's label Cenotaph, which also put out
            a CD for a Volcano The Bear side project, etc.

            and John, these 4 bands Jack mentioned don't play at 'frat bars', they
            play at hipster rock 'n roll bars. Hipsters here are not that hip,
            scenesters here do not know the scene - the whole thing is a misnomer.

            -MT

          • manny@telerama.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
              you are exactly right - though I think the commercial would more likely
              be Tar-zhay.

            • john w fail
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
                thanks for the kind words, manny.

                i hope i didn't seem too condescending there; i don't go to shows as
                much as i used to but i still feel like i have some grip on the music
                scene here, and those bands seem to irrelevant to the interests of this
                list, which is why i felt compelled to reply.

                speaking of local experimental music, i saw an improv due of local
                artists jim lingo and adam strohm on sunday that was one of the most
                enjoyable bits of local music i have seen in a long time. lingo
                manipulated various bits of metal and plastic while srohm played
                prepared guitar; it was very sparse, and they used the room extremely
                well.

                -john

                manny@... wrote:

                >Oh yeah, thanks, John, I couldn't mention everybody in one swoop.
                >I forgot about Meisha and Arco Flute Foundation - kind of the closest
                >thing Pittsburgh has to the Jim O'Rourke camp and the Constellation
                >Records sound. They are great. Meisha has good CDs, checm em out,
                >Arco has releases on John Fail's label Cenotaph, which also put out
                >a CD for a Volcano The Bear side project, etc.
                >
                >and John, these 4 bands Jack mentioned don't play at 'frat bars', they
                >play at hipster rock 'n roll bars. Hipsters here are not that hip,
                >scenesters here do not know the scene - the whole thing is a misnomer.
                >

                >://groups.yahoo.com/group/thewire/

              • Andrew Fleming
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
                  On 1/8/04 12:47 PM, "manny@..." <manny@...> wrote:

                  > [tons of great things about what's going on in music in Pgh]

                  The way things are set up, I have to approve everybody's first post to make
                  sure it isn't spam. That was Jack's first post to the list, and when I saw
                  it in the queue, I debated whether or not I should ignore the promo-like
                  tone and approve his post. I'm glad I did- that was a great overview of
                  what's going on around your area. Maybe you should talk to Rob Young about
                  doing a Global Ear for Pgh?

                  -Andrew
                • manny@telerama.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
                    I should be writing for The Wire, period.

                    After doing 2500+ shows and booking 60+ tours for experimental artists
                    in the US, 15 years on the air at college radio, 13 years writing about
                    music for the local alternweekly, and 3 years doing reviews for US IDM
                    mag Grooves, among many other things. ;)
                    But yes doing a Global Ear would be a good start.
                    I know the guy who did the Baltimore one.
                    He writes for the Baltimore city paper just like I write for the Pgh
                    city paper here.
                    And I know Chuck Bettis who did the DC one - he booked several of the
                    tours I sent through D.C.
                    So it makes sense.
                    BTW, I once wrote a city scene report for Alternative Press but it never
                    ran because the feature was canned the month before it was supposed to
                    run. That, plus being blown off by Tomas of XLR8R,
                    left me a bad taste in my mouth re national magazines.
                    However an electronica scene article on Cleveland and Pittsburgh that I
                    did for midwest art magazine Dialogue (kind of a regional New Art Examiner
                    / High Performance) did run.

                    Well anyway thanks and I'm glad I got a chance to expose Jack's spam for
                    what it was. I don't even know who he is, probably just one of those
                    lookalike dudes with the just-got-out-of-bed Brooklyn-wannabe hair who
                    hang out at the semi-hip shows nowadays ;)

                    How do I contact Rob Young - just use the general Wire e-mail addy?

                    -MT

                    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Andrew Fleming wrote:

                    > On 1/8/04 12:47 PM, "manny@..." <manny@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > [tons of great things about what's going on in music in Pgh]
                    >
                    > The way things are set up, I have to approve everybody's first post to make
                    > sure it isn't spam. That was Jack's first post to the list, and when I saw
                    > it in the queue, I debated whether or not I should ignore the promo-like
                    > tone and approve his post. I'm glad I did- that was a great overview of
                    > what's going on around your area. Maybe you should talk to Rob Young about
                    > doing a Global Ear for Pgh?
                    >
                    > -Andrew

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Michael J. Salo
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 9, 2004
                      > After doing 2500+ shows and booking 60+ tours for experimental artists
                      > in the US, 15 years on the air at college radio, 13 years writing about
                      > music for the local alternweekly, and 3 years doing reviews for US IDM
                      > mag Grooves, among many other things. ;)
                      > But yes doing a Global Ear would be a good start.

                      Manny rocks. Give him a piece to write and he'll totally run with it. I
                      don't know of anyone who could do a more comprehensive scene report on
                      Pittsburgh.

                      As long as you think you can handle his in yo face style. :)

                      "Global Ear - Pittsburgh," hah hah, makes it sound like some strange exotic
                      place, which I suppose it is.

                      Michael J. Salo
                    • Stevo
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 17, 2004
                        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Jim Flannery <newgrange@t...> wrote:
                        > This sentence made my morning. (Reminds me of a Sonic Youth 7" ...)

                        Isn't Christgau still extant though?
                        I remember seeing SY at the Acklam Hall or whatever it was called at
                        the time Bay 63? (definitely pre-Subterranea). It was an afternoon gig
                        pretty intense, after uit half the audience trekked up to Rough Trade
                        and bought that single.
                        I recall Kim Gordon wearing a t-shirt with the first Die kreuzen lp
                        sleeve on it. I think that was the first time I came across them,
                        I've now recently got the October File cd with that lp as bonus
                        tracks. Still sounds great now.
                        Stevo