Pittsburgh music is thriving

  • Jack Flynn
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 7, 2004
      www.killerdulce.com

      Take a deep breath, let your mind choke, spit it out.....
      discovering the rock inside the 'burgh

      I have spent a lot of time being irritated that I don't live in New
      York City or somewhere where good bands tend to flourish... until the
      other day it hit me.... Right now Pittsburgh is producing some great
      fucking bands. I mean everyone knows with the good old garage rock
      revival the Modey Lemon became supercool but beyond them I felt like
      Pittsburgh was a desolate wasteland of washed up punk rock bands and
      uninventive indie rockers......

      but now.... I have been proven wrong (and boy am I glad I have)

      With bands like Camera (www.thisiscamera.com), The Wynkataug Monks
      (www.wmonks.com), Shade (www.shaderocks.com) and The Black Tie Revue
      (www.blacktierevue.com) Pittsburgh has been SAVED.

      (i realize that by saying this i am acting like one of those
      scenester people i can't really stand but i think these guy have
      undeniable talent and therefore i must scarafice myself to prove it
      to the world)

      These boys always draw a crowd, get girls to dance, and actually have
      GOOD songs. It's just what I always wanted in my city. I am just so
      pleased to see this.... It gives me something to be excited about and
      it lets me go see a good show in MY TOWN a lot more often.

      Everyone check these kids out.... NOW. You won't be sorry.

      SHADE www.shaderocks.com

      "Shade draws upon the darkened lights of Shoegaze artists My Bloody
      Valentine, Ride, and Lush. Other parts of the album dive into Sonic
      Youth and some early Pavement. This Pittsburgh Rock n Roll outfit
      definitely competes with modern artists such as Interpol and Black
      Rebel Motorcycle Club."
      John Johnson Pittbands.com

      CAMERA www.thisiscamera.com

      "A dozen or so Pittsburgh-to-New York transplants showed up, as did
      an extremely large number of locals who'd either traveled with them,
      came for CMJ or just happened to be in the neighborhood. Nearly the
      entire floor was filled with us -- it was unreal. Once Camera took to
      the stage, after the first few beats of their energetic, stylish pop
      rock, everyone was dancing -- and not just nodding their heads with
      crossed arms and tapping feet"
      cindy yogmas, pulp

      CAMERA ACTION
      Fresh from rocking the CMJ Music Fest with a really big organ,
      Camera, one of Pittsburgh's more inspired up-and-coming bands,
      returns to New York City, where its three-song EP recently cracked
      the Top 20 at WNYU, for an A&R showcase Saturday at a club called
      Pianos on Ludlow Street. They're set to hit the stage at midnight or
      so. ed masley, pittsbrugh post gazette

      WYNKATAUG MONKS www.wmonks.com

      The monks are simply the best live band I've seen in a long time.
      With Pavement meets Weezer song stylings. Harmonies that get you out
      of your seat. Every show packed with kids ready to dance and destroy
      the floor. You find yourself singing along to songs you've never
      heard. And just when you think you've got the gist of the song they
      switch it on you, and it works every time. A band that practices at
      least 20 hours a week, how can you go wrong? You can't!

      BLACK TIE REVUE www.thesequelpolice.com

      I saw a great little band at Howler's last night. The Black Tie Revue
      kicked out the jams, the way a band does when it's just starting out.
      A band is never quite as potent as in its first few shows. A little
      bit of nerves is a good, good thing, as is having something to prove
      and nothing to lose, except perhaps a shot at taking a girl home just
      because you're in a band, any band. I'm fond of a decent measure of
      stage antics and instrument wrangling as well, and these lads were up
      to the task. I came thisclose to being knocked out or blinded by a
      flying bass headstock. Rock & roll. Jilly.org

      Check out these bands. They don't dissapoint

      Jacko
    • john w fail
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 7, 2004
        who's paying you? i've lived in pittsburg my whole life and have been
        going to shows for about 10 years, and i have never heard of any of
        these bands except for shade. and maybe they are great and they are the
        next big thing, but don't you think maybe someone involved in the
        independent music scene would occasionally talk about them? thanks for
        informing me about these bands, i'll have to check them out next time i
        go to a frat bar!

        love,

        -john

      • Jim Flannery
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 7, 2004
          Wednesday, January 7, 2004, 9:29:12 AM, one spoke:

          hype> Fresh from rocking the CMJ Music Fest with a really big organ,

          This sentence made my morning. (Reminds me of a Sonic Youth 7" ...)

          --
          Jim Flannery
          newgrange@...

          np: The User, _Symphony #2 for Dot Matrix Printers_
          nr: Frank Stanford, _The Battlefield Where the Moon Says I Love You_
        • John Eastridge
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 7, 2004
            yeah i haven't been in pittsburgh long but i have tried to find out about
            local bands as much as i could and i haven't heard of any of these bands
            besides camera. i saw them a couple weeks ago and my friend described them
            well in calling them a "a gap commercial that turned into a band." a french
            kicks without the good songwriting.

            john eastridge

> [...]
            > >heard. And just when you think you've got the gist of the song they
            > >switch it on you, and it works every time. A band that practices at
            > >least 20 hours a week, how can you go wrong? You can't!
            > >

            > >BLACK TIE REVUE www.thesequelpolice.com
            > >
            > >I saw a great little band at Howler's last night. The Black Tie Revue
            > >kicked out the jams, the way a band does when it's just starting out.
            > >A band is never quite as potent as in its first few shows. A little
            > >bit of nerves is a good, good thing, as is having something to prove
            > >and nothing to lose, except perhaps a shot at taking a girl home just
            > >because you're in a band, any band. I'm fond of a decent measure of
            > >stage antics and instrument wrangling as well, and these lads were up
            > >to the task. I came thisclose to being knocked out or blinded by a
            > >flying bass headstock. Rock & roll. Jilly.org
            > >
            > >Check out these bands. They don't dissapoint

            Have fun customizing MSN Messenger � learn how here!
            http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize
          • manny@telerama.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
              Dear Wire list readers-

              I have been reading the Wire for 13 years and on this list for several.
              I am from Pittsburgh. I have been much deeper involved in the scene here
              for a hell of a lot longer (18 years, 2500+ concerts, 50+ releases, etc)
              than whoever this Jack Flynn is (and also have been well aware of what is
              going on everywhere, and able to connect, compare and relate the two).
              His statement is a gross exaggeration.
              None of these bands are that good, and none of them are doing anything
              interesting other than perhaps getting girls to come and dance. But
              Peaches does that too and I don't see musicians emulating her here.
              There are plenty of medicore rock bands here - the four he mentioned do
              not particularly rise above the history of that pack.

              The Modey Lemon is passable, but speaking of 'punk' a lot of their initial
              popularity was due to being connected to Anti-Flag's label. Being on
              Birdman is nice, but it doesn't make you sound any less like the Jon
              Spencer Blues Explosion (and having a single on In the Red proves it
              even more). But at least they have some White Stripe-esque chutzpah.
              And they tour a lot.

              but the other four bands Jack Flynn has mentioned don't have a pot to
              piss in, per se. Nor do they tour hardly at all.
              Camera, a supposed 'dancepunk' band which really isn't dancepunk at all
              but some kind of 60s pop throwback, is negligible. Their stance is mostly
              based on fashion (that of the 60s meets that of the White Stripes). The
              singer's wife owns a vintage clothing store and poses her husband in the
              ads. Meanwhile, the singer (Shane) was in a much better band for many
              years - called LowSunday. They were a top shoegaze outfit, with Slowdive
              and Ride references, and managed to put out an album on Projekt. They
              mysteriously broke up, and re-emerged as this retro-pap. No good. I would
              have much preferred that Lowsunday continue as they were.

              Shade is mediocre, I've seen them a few times and had them open some of
              my shows. They bring a crowd but do nothing intense musically.
              Sounding like Interpol or BRMC is being several years too late, which
              everything in Pittsburgh always is.
              Black Tie Revue is worse - their straight ahead modrock kid pose seems so
              calculated like they watched MTV and tried to figure out what teenage
              hipsters wanted to see.
              Finally, Wynkataug Monks I have not seen yet, but the description ' Weezer
              meets Pavement" doesn't make me want to. And I did a couple shows for
              Pavement in the early 90s so I know.

              I never talk about Pittsburgh on national lists because I don't feel it's
              necessary - when something good comes from here (which it regularly
              does) you will know about it because it's good (perhaps reviewd in the
              Wire), not because I blab about it on some list.
              But I must tell you I've been sorely disappointed by the crop
              of bands coming out of there for at least the past five years or so.
              The so-called 'uninventive indie rockers'? Jack Flynn doesn't have a
              clue. Was he even there for the first half of the 90s? They invented
              the hell out of the basement scene we were in and it showed.
              As to the Gen-X 1986-1996 yesteryear which he apparently missed, this
              includes:
              1) Don Caballero, one of the biggest giants of math/prog indie rock.
              2) Karl Hendricks Trio - who had seven albums out including several on
              Merge, and is still around.
              3) The Speaking Canaries - epic rock bombast like Crystallized Movements
              meets The Champs, still around and just put out a new LP advertised in the
              Wire (on Scat / 12XU).
              4) Blunderbuss - Nice Strong Arm/live Skull influenced, one CD on
              Homestead, still around.
              5) Weird Paul - goofy Daniel Johnston/Jad Fair type songwriter, one CD
              on Homestead, still around.
              6) Water Shed 5tet - Curlew/Naked City-style jazzrock quintet, several
              CDs out on Rastascan & Tautology, etc. Broke up but the saxophonist
              leader, Ben Opie, now has an Arkestra-style group called Opek 15. They can
              never tour because they are too big, but hopefully a recording can come
              out of it. He does originals and Sun Ra, Braxton, etc.
              7) P. Children - electroacoustic/industrial performance group, several
              releases out on RRR and Charnel Music etc.
              and a bunch more.
              8) The Cynics - one of the most respected neo-psych bands ever, toured
              Europe and Japan, put out seven albums, run their own label and distro
              empire (Get Hip Records), still around.
              And by extension other bands in Get Hip's
              orbit such as the Mount McKinleys.
              9) The Pittsburgh punk scene legends, from Half Life and Submachine
              to Aus Rotten/Caustic Christ and Anti-Flag and Silver Tongued Devil.
              Worldwide, Pgh is better known for its punk rock than anything.
              (Read Slug & Lettuce, MRR, or Profane Existence and you'll see).
              10) Experimental noise stalwarts, such as Macronympha (who put out
              several dozen tapes, CDs, 7"s and LPs on many known noise labels).
              And improv group Ensemble Duchamp, who came closest to the Euro-style
              union of free jazz and avant-classical than anyone else here (CD on
              Sachimay, advertised in the Wire last year).
              11) The Garden (Apollyon Records) and Underflowers (Bedaazzled) - two
              ethereal-leaning goth bands who *knew* what to do with influences from
              the Cocteaus, Dead Can Dance, And Also The Trees, etc.
              12) while we're at it let's go back to the boomer-postpunk era and
              mention Carsickness (several albums and 7"s - Byron Coleyy once put
              them on his top 100 band you never heard of, in Spin) and The Five
              (arty postpunks, singer Reid Paley now has a Nick Cave/Tom Waits-esque
              solo career living in NYC, he toured with Frank Black etc).

              all way better than these wannabe garage/pop come latelies.
              And if that wasn't good enough, the newer generation is also holding
              it down. But in contrast with Jack's claims, the real inventive action
              is in the experimental/electronic or other realms here, not really in rock
              anymore. including:
              1) Xanopticon - breakcore madman, on Hymen, Peaceoff, Tigerbeat6, etc.
              Toured Europe and the U.S. a couple times.
              2) Colongib - IDM whiz with his own Kracfive label (friends with Kettel).
              3) Girl Talk - plunderphonic kid with CD on Illegal Art. Donna Summer
              bites his style! :)
              4) Shawn Rudiman - techno/electro producer, releases on Seventh City,
              many Detroit connections via his Technoir Audio posse, toured Europe.
              5) Hiphop - from the old school stylings of Lone Catalysts (toured Europe,
              friends with Talib Kweli) to the genius goofs of Grand Buffet (friends
              with Anticon, toured Europe and US with Sole, Sage Francis, and Wesley
              Willis rip. and are the only unsigned band on the Kork agency roster).
              6) Michael Johnsen - a quietly 'inventive' electronic whiz kind of like
              Voice Crack meets David Tudor, he's been mentioned in the Wire twice for
              being a highlight at Baltimore's High Zero improv fest.
              7) you want *dancepunk*? the only real dancepunk band around here to
              develop so far is The Mary Celeste. they have nothing out yet, but they
              actually listen to the Rapture, as well as Fugazi or whatever, so they
              'get it' better than any of the bands Jack mentioned. No one really
              'gets' electroclash here per se yet, but that's no big tragedy anyway.
              8) Jeremy Boyle. ex-member of Joan of Arc, he does art installations in
              museums worlwide, and also makes minimal electronic music (again, the
              self-built circuits thing). He's also in an indie band called Arrivals
              & Departures, which are not stellar but certainly more on the ball than
              the bands Jack has mentioned.

              of course, if Jack dances around and drinks in bars and meets girls, he is
              not going to know about any of these things. he and the girls need to use
              their brains, which they can't do if they continue to operate from a total
              lack of frame of reference by shutting out and ignoring useful and
              relevant information (like everyone does here). EEven though I am constantly
              writing about these artists in the local paper (huge articles) nobody
              much seems to care here about any kind of forward-thinking, Wire-level
              type music. We have two great college radio stations - Carnegie Mellon's
              WRCT is almost on the level of an WFMU and I know because I DJ'd there
              for 15 years - but no one listen to them - they all listen to the
              commercial or AAA-public station instead, and think it's 'edgy'. When
              Peter Brotzmann or Gerry Hemingway or Ken Vandermark comes, we are lucky
              to get 40 people at the show because practically nobody has reference
              points for avant-jazz or experimental music (unless, of course, an art
              museum endorses it - then they still don't know what it is but they come).

              So, jack, don't tell these people what you think they should know about
              Pittsburgh, because you don't have one fucking half-assed clue. Go back
              to drinking your Iron City or Penn Pilsner or whatever.
              -MT
              BTW I don't know why you're even posting this on the Wire list, Jack.
              the Wire never pandered to the garage rock revival hype, even if the 4
              bands you mention don't even quality as being good enough to be part of
              that revival anyway. if you actually read the Wire for any length of
              time, you would no longer be excited about those bands, either.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
                Oh yeah, thanks, John, I couldn't mention everybody in one swoop.
                I forgot about Meisha and Arco Flute Foundation - kind of the closest
                thing Pittsburgh has to the Jim O'Rourke camp and the Constellation
                Records sound. They are great. Meisha has good CDs, checm em out,
                Arco has releases on John Fail's label Cenotaph, which also put out
                a CD for a Volcano The Bear side project, etc.

                and John, these 4 bands Jack mentioned don't play at 'frat bars', they
                play at hipster rock 'n roll bars. Hipsters here are not that hip,
                scenesters here do not know the scene - the whole thing is a misnomer.

                -MT

              • manny@telerama.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
                  you are exactly right - though I think the commercial would more likely
                  be Tar-zhay.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
                    thanks for the kind words, manny.

                    i hope i didn't seem too condescending there; i don't go to shows as
                    much as i used to but i still feel like i have some grip on the music
                    scene here, and those bands seem to irrelevant to the interests of this
                    list, which is why i felt compelled to reply.

                    speaking of local experimental music, i saw an improv due of local
                    artists jim lingo and adam strohm on sunday that was one of the most
                    enjoyable bits of local music i have seen in a long time. lingo
                    manipulated various bits of metal and plastic while srohm played
                    prepared guitar; it was very sparse, and they used the room extremely
                    well.

                    -john

                    manny@... wrote:

                    >Oh yeah, thanks, John, I couldn't mention everybody in one swoop.
                    >I forgot about Meisha and Arco Flute Foundation - kind of the closest
                    >thing Pittsburgh has to the Jim O'Rourke camp and the Constellation
                    >Records sound. They are great. Meisha has good CDs, checm em out,
                    >Arco has releases on John Fail's label Cenotaph, which also put out
                    >a CD for a Volcano The Bear side project, etc.
                    >
                    >and John, these 4 bands Jack mentioned don't play at 'frat bars', they
                    >play at hipster rock 'n roll bars. Hipsters here are not that hip,
                    >scenesters here do not know the scene - the whole thing is a misnomer.
                    >

                    >://groups.yahoo.com/group/thewire/

                  • Andrew Fleming
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
                      On 1/8/04 12:47 PM, "manny@..." <manny@...> wrote:

                      > [tons of great things about what's going on in music in Pgh]

                      The way things are set up, I have to approve everybody's first post to make
                      sure it isn't spam. That was Jack's first post to the list, and when I saw
                      it in the queue, I debated whether or not I should ignore the promo-like
                      tone and approve his post. I'm glad I did- that was a great overview of
                      what's going on around your area. Maybe you should talk to Rob Young about
                      doing a Global Ear for Pgh?

                      -Andrew
                    • manny@telerama.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 8, 2004
                        I should be writing for The Wire, period.

                        After doing 2500+ shows and booking 60+ tours for experimental artists
                        in the US, 15 years on the air at college radio, 13 years writing about
                        music for the local alternweekly, and 3 years doing reviews for US IDM
                        mag Grooves, among many other things. ;)
                        But yes doing a Global Ear would be a good start.
                        I know the guy who did the Baltimore one.
                        He writes for the Baltimore city paper just like I write for the Pgh
                        city paper here.
                        And I know Chuck Bettis who did the DC one - he booked several of the
                        tours I sent through D.C.
                        So it makes sense.
                        BTW, I once wrote a city scene report for Alternative Press but it never
                        ran because the feature was canned the month before it was supposed to
                        run. That, plus being blown off by Tomas of XLR8R,
                        left me a bad taste in my mouth re national magazines.
                        However an electronica scene article on Cleveland and Pittsburgh that I
                        did for midwest art magazine Dialogue (kind of a regional New Art Examiner
                        / High Performance) did run.

                        Well anyway thanks and I'm glad I got a chance to expose Jack's spam for
                        what it was. I don't even know who he is, probably just one of those
                        lookalike dudes with the just-got-out-of-bed Brooklyn-wannabe hair who
                        hang out at the semi-hip shows nowadays ;)

                        How do I contact Rob Young - just use the general Wire e-mail addy?

                        -MT

                        On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Andrew Fleming wrote:

                        > On 1/8/04 12:47 PM, "manny@..." <manny@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > [tons of great things about what's going on in music in Pgh]
                        >
                        > The way things are set up, I have to approve everybody's first post to make
                        > sure it isn't spam. That was Jack's first post to the list, and when I saw
                        > it in the queue, I debated whether or not I should ignore the promo-like
                        > tone and approve his post. I'm glad I did- that was a great overview of
                        > what's going on around your area. Maybe you should talk to Rob Young about
                        > doing a Global Ear for Pgh?
                        >
                        > -Andrew

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Michael J. Salo
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 9, 2004
                          > After doing 2500+ shows and booking 60+ tours for experimental artists
                          > in the US, 15 years on the air at college radio, 13 years writing about
                          > music for the local alternweekly, and 3 years doing reviews for US IDM
                          > mag Grooves, among many other things. ;)
                          > But yes doing a Global Ear would be a good start.

                          Manny rocks. Give him a piece to write and he'll totally run with it. I
                          don't know of anyone who could do a more comprehensive scene report on
                          Pittsburgh.

                          As long as you think you can handle his in yo face style. :)

                          "Global Ear - Pittsburgh," hah hah, makes it sound like some strange exotic
                          place, which I suppose it is.

                          Michael J. Salo
                        • Stevo
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 17, 2004
                            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Jim Flannery <newgrange@t...> wrote:
                            > This sentence made my morning. (Reminds me of a Sonic Youth 7" ...)

                            Isn't Christgau still extant though?
                            I remember seeing SY at the Acklam Hall or whatever it was called at
                            the time Bay 63? (definitely pre-Subterranea). It was an afternoon gig
                            pretty intense, after uit half the audience trekked up to Rough Trade
                            and bought that single.
                            I recall Kim Gordon wearing a t-shirt with the first Die kreuzen lp
                            sleeve on it. I think that was the first time I came across them,
                            I've now recently got the October File cd with that lp as bonus
                            tracks. Still sounds great now.
                            Stevo