Re: was Osama Bin Laden interviewed for the new issue?

  • gradyfinklemyer
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 7, 2004
      Here's another stupid misreading from Sylvian's World Citizen single-
      "And the buildings fall in a cloud of dust,
      and we ask ourselves how can they hate us,
      well when we live in ignorance and luxury,
      while our superpowers practice puppetmastery"

      That is really crass and simplistic, and "stupid". I think David
      should stick to cod-zen and give up on the politics. It is almost
      embarassing. And this is coming from a long time fan. Maybe all of
      the fucking morons who are so into bashing the U.S. nowadays (no, I'm
      not pro-Bush or a yahoo superpatriot) should realize that all of this
      stems from what event? When some religious fucks decided to kill 3000
      people? (Oh, but they'll have thousands of virgins in Heaven now,
      won't they? Praise Allah! ha!!!) I'm sure when they were planning the
      attack on WTC they were saying to themselves, "its because they live
      in ignorance and luxury." And even if that was the case, it's sure a
      damn good reason! arf arf

      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ashline <williamlashline@h...>
      wrote:
      > On 1/7/04 2:33 PM, "gradyfinklemyer" <gradyfinklemyer@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > "On a page in history the seeds were sown for the beginning of the
      > > end of the American empire." Came across this quote in the new
      issue
      > > and my mouth dropped open. I didn't realize Osama was being
      > > interviewed for The Wire. Oops, it was David Sylvian. Hey,
      > > congratulations on uttering the stupidest words of the issue
      David!

      > Stupid misreading of David Sylvian.
    • Stevo
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 17, 2004
        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Jim Flannery <newgrange@t...> wrote:
        > Thursday, January 8, 2004, 4:24:00 PM, one spoke:
        > (There's a great interview w/ Berkeley prof. George Lakoff on this
        > subject here:
        >
        > http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2003/10/27_lakoff.shtml
        > )

        ireally like that guy George Lakoff's book Women, Fire and DAngerous
        Things. I had to read it for a project I was doing last year and
        found its basic premise that category is an artificial concept
        fascinating.
        I think that's the basis of this framing thing he's talking about in
        that interview too.
        Stevo