year end lists

  • gradyfinklemyer
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 20, 2003
      Where are the year end lists for the best recordings?
    • PhilT
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 20, 2003
        > Where are the year end lists for the best recordings?

        the wire's list :

        http://www.thewire.co.uk/archive/charts/2003_Rewind.html

        if you're asking for personal opionions then here's mine :

        Belle and Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress : the song writing's still
        fantastic and the production just makes it sparkle even more. a clear
        winner.
        TV On the Radio - Young Liars EP : the finest avant-gospel-rock record ever
        made!
        Amos, Tori - Scarlet's Walk : over-stays it's welcome but easily her best
        full recording since 'under the pink'
        Books, The - The Lemon Of Pink : effortless mingling of electronics and
        analogue sounds with a warmth that pays off
        Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell : easily lived up to the promise of their
        1st ep and shows a range of emotion i didn't think they had
        Komeda - Kokomemedada : got pop tunes to die for wrapped up in a
        post-stereolab ironic sound
        Taylor, Lewis - Stoned Part 1 : yes, you have to ignore the lyrics for the
        most part but his sumptuous soul stylings are as lovely as ever
        Radiohead - Hail To The Thief : not as good as the last 2 but still the best
        art rock in town
        Loose Fur - Loose Fur : beats all those avant jam-improv bands hands down
        White Stripes, The - Elephant : i disliked 'white blood cells' but this has
        some great songs even if it tapers off a bit
        Secret Machines, The - September 000 : pink floyd 2003
        Kraftwerk - Tour De France Soundtracks : didn't really want to get this but
        they've still got that mechano beat, haven't they?
        Wyatt, Robert - Solar Flares Burn For You : not much new music on this one
        but the stuff from the peel sessions is gloriously sad.
        Kings Of Leon - Youth & Young Manhood : the stomp, the tunes, the flares.
        Necks, The - Drive By : i suppose i've reached necks saturation point but
        this is still mighty fine minimalist improv
        Wire - Send : a great bunch of art punk songs slightly hurt by over limited
        production
        Wainwright, Rufus - Want One : taken in small doses this is just fine
        medicine but it's a little sickly in one hit.
        Fiery Furnaces - Gallowsbird Bark : left this off my emailed list but it may
        be my favourite after all.
        Air - Talkie Walkie : has this been released yet? if so then it's up there
        too - a true return to depressing pop form

        regards,

        philT

        =
        Sydney Post-Punk Bands : http://www.users.bigpond.com/pturnbul/nns_band.htm
        =

        [remove the normal anti spam stuff, if required]
      • jamello@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 20, 2003
          My favorite musical things of 2003, in no particular order:

          AFrames -- AFrames 2
          Gerry Mulligan -- The Complete Verve Gerry Mulligan Concert Band Sessions
          Wasteland -- Amen Fire
          Various -- Wackies sampler, Volume 1
          Television -- Live at the Old Waldorf
          TV On the Radio -- Young Liars
          Fritz Ostermayer -- Kitsch Concrete
          Villalobos-- Alcachofa
          The Bug -- Pressure
          Dizzy Rascal -- Boy in Da Corner
          The Kills -- Keep On Your Mean Side (Rough Trade)

          2003 song I included on the most mix CDs:
          - Steve Wynn -- "Amphetamine"

          2003 live shows that were added to my "all-time best" list:
          - Rocket From The Tombs at Maxwell's, Hoboken, NJ
          - Iggy and the Stooges at Roseland Ballroom, NYC

          Happy holidays.

          Jack

        • Andrew Cox
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 21, 2003
            Top new CDs (in no order)
            Matt Elliott: The Mess we Made
            Scott Tuma: The River 1 2 3 4
            Erland Oye: Unrest
            Hala Strana: Fielding
            David Toop: Black Chamber
            The Franciscan Hobbies: Masks & Meanings
            Rachel's: Systems / Layers
            M83: Dead Cities, Read Seas & Lost Ghosts
            The Boxhead Ensemble: Quartets
            Christ: Metamorphic Reproduction Miracle
            Of: The Infant Paths

            Reissues:
            Steeleye Span: The Lark in the Morning - The Early Years
            Birge Gorge Shiroc: Defense De
          • gradyfinklemyer
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 21, 2003
              New Cds:(no order)
              1.David Sylvian-Blemish
              2.Robert Wyatt-Cuckooland
              3.John Cale-Hobosapiens
              4.Guignol-Angela, David & The Great Neopolitan Road Issue (reminds
              me of This Heat-has members of Bablicon & Volcano the Bear)
              5.Mick Karn-Each Path A Remix
              6.The Go-Betweens-Bright Yellow, Bright Orange
              7.Hans Joachim Irmler-Life Like (Faust keyboard player)
              8.Six Organs of Admittance-Compthia
              9.The Tiger Lillies/Kronos Quartet-The Gorey End
              10.Television-Live at the Old Waldorf

              reissues:
              1.Meic Stevens-Outlander
              2.Pentangle-Solomon's Seal
              3.Jade-Fly on Strangewings
              4.Robert Wyatt-Solar Flares Burn For You
              5.Folkdove
              6.Code III-Planet of Man
              7.Scott Walker-Five Easy Pieces
              8.Fairport Convention reissues
              9.Kevin Ayers reissues
            • John Jones
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 26, 2003
                maher shalal hash baz - blues de jour
                pastels - last great wilderness
                dizzee rascal - boy in da corner
                broadcast - ha ha sound
                john fahey - +
                four tet - rounds

              • Olivier Borzeix
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 26, 2003
                  1) Broken Social Scene "You Forgot It in People" (Arts & Crafts)

                  2) Animal Collective « Here comes the indian » (Paw Tracks/Car park)

                  3) Cul De Sac "Death Of The Sun" (Strange Attractors)

                  4) John Fahey "Red Cross" (Revenenat)

                  5) Sunroof! « Cloudz » (VHF)

                  6) Charalambides "Unknown Spin" (Kranky)

                  7) Hymie's Basement « Hymie's Basement » (Lex)

                  8) Four Tet "Rounds" (Domino)

                  9) Glenn Branca "The Ascension" (Acute)

                  10) Prefuse 73 "One Word Extinguisher" (Warp)

                  11) Tim Hecker "Radio Amor" (Mille Plateaux)

                  12) Nurse With Wound "Salt Marie Celeste" (United Dairies)

                  13) Sixtoo "Antagonist Survival Kit" (Vertical Form)

                  14) Daniel Menche "Beautiful Blood" (Alien8 recordings)

                  15) Lightning Bolt "Wonderful Rainbow" (Load)

                  16) Mainliner "Mellow Out" (Riot Season)

                  17) Six Organs of Admittance "Nightly Trembling" (Time Lag)

                  18) Oren Ambarchi "Triste" (Idea)

                  19) Stephan Mathieu & Ekkehard Ehlers "Heroin + Remixes" (Orthlorng Musork)

                  20) Mika Vaino "In the land of the blind the one-eyed is king" (Touch)

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 27, 2003
                    --- hmmm...I guess I didn't have much of a music budget this year,
                    what with the new family member and all the other stuff I've been up
                    to, but here are some new releases I've enjoyed in 2003...
                    SPRING HEEL JACK - Live
                    U.S. MAPLE - Purple On Time
                    MARC RIBOT - Scelsi Morning
                    DJ SPOOKY - Dubtometry
                    ART ENSEMBLE OF CHICAGO - The Meeting
                    TRIAGE - Twenty Minute Cliff
                    BRIAN OSBORNE - Music Concatenate
                    NUMBERS - Remix eps on Tigerbeat6
                    LOTUS - Version 2.0
                    SKOWEYAJEED - Malrhythmic Anatopia

                    happy new ear, michaelthomasjackson

                    of Service.

                  • Bill Ashline
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 28, 2003
                      Here's my list:

                      Favorites for 2003

                      1. Various Artists, Amplify Box Set‹Amplify 2002, Tokyo, Erstwhile
                      The Nakamura/Muller recording tint on disc 2 was the best thing I heard all
                      year. Also recommended: Seven Guitars, Cardew¹s Treatise, pp. 82-84, disc
                      7 and the improv sets by Otomo Yoshihide/Gunter Muller, Cosmos, and the
                      Keith Rowe/Marcus Schmickler/Thomas Lehn.
                      1. Oren Ambarchi/Gunter Muller/Voice Crack, Oystered, Audiosphere
                      2. ISO, ISO, YCAM
                      3. Gunter Muller/Otomo Yoshihide, Time Travel, Erstwhile
                      4. Keith Rowe/John Tilbury, Duos for Doris, Erstwhile
                      5. Radian, rec.extern, Thrill Jockey
                      6. Keith Rowe/Oren Ambarchi, Flypaper, Staubgold
                      7. Gunter Muller, Eight Landscapes, For 4 Ears
                      8. Fennesz, Live in Japan, Headz
                      9. Sachiko M, Derive, Noise Asia
                      10. Martin Siewert/Martin Brandlmayr, Too Beautiful to Burn, Erstwhile
                      11. Tetuzi Akiyama, Resophonie, A Bruit Secret
                      12. Otomo Yoshihide/Martin Tetreault, Studio, Analogue, Numerique, Ambiances
                      Magnetiques
                      13. OtomoYoshihide, Blue, Headz
                      14. Otomo Yoshihide/Sachiko M/Taku Sugimoto, Les Hautes Solitudes, Out One
                      Disc
                      15. Kozo Inada/Philip Samatzis, f[ ], Digital Narcis
                      16. Kaffe Matthews/Sachiko M/Andrea Neumann, In Case of Fire Take the
                      Stairs, IMJ
                      17. Toshimaru Nakamura, No-Input Mixing Board 3, Alcohol
                      18. Philip Samartzis/Sachiko M, Artefact, Dorobo
                      19. Rowe/Ambarchi/Otomo/Sachiko M/Avenaim, Thumb, Grob
                      20. Dafeldecker/Kurzmann/Drumm/Erik M/Dieb 13/Noetinger, S/T (Green),
                      Charhizma
                      21. Phill Niblock, Touch Food, Touch
                      22. Matt Davis/Phil Durrant/Mark Wastell, Open, Erstwhile
                      23. Werner Dafeldecker/Franz Hautzinger/Sachiko M/John Tilbury, Absinth,
                      Grob
                      24. Jerome Noetinger/Erik M, What a Wonderful World, Erstwhile
                      25. The Necks, Athenaeum, Homebush, Quay, Raab, Schock Records
                      26. Keith Rowe/Marcus Schmickler/Thomas Lehn, Rabbit Run, Erstwhile
                      27. Tetuzi Akiyama/Toshimaru Nakamura/Taku Sugimoto/Mark Wastell, Foldings,
                      Confront
                      28. Alfred Harth, Seoul Milk, CDR‹also his CDR Vor Gang
                      29. Various Artists, Meeting at Off-Site Vol. 2, IMJ
                      30. Yuko Nexus 6, Journal de Tokyo, Sonore
                      31. Ichiraku Yoshimitsu/Kazushige Kinoshita/Taku Unami, Cymbal Violin
                      Lapsteel, Hibari
                      32. Kang Tae-hwan/Miyeon/Park Je-chun, Improvised Memories, Good

                      Belated Discoveries

                      1. Ambarchi/Fennesz/Pimmon/Rehberg/Rowe, Afternoon Tea, Ritornell (This
                      recording is fabulous)
                      2. Repeat, Temporary Contemporary, For 4 Ears
                      3. Marina Rosenfeld, theforestthegardenthesea, Charhizma
                      4. Voice Crack/Gunter Muller, Buda Rom, For 4 Ears
                      5. Ticklish, S/T, Grob
                      6. Gordon Mumma, Studio Retrospect, Lovely
                      7. Dumb Type, Memorandum, CCI
                      8. Dumb Type, S/N, C-DSA
                      9. Richard Pinhas/Maurice Dantec, Shizotrope 3: Le Pli, Emma
                      10. Pierre Schaeffer, L¹Oeuvre Musicale, INA GRM
                      11. Choi Sun-bae, Freedom, Chap Chap
                      12. Christian Alati/Giuseppe Ielasi/Ruggero Radaele
                      13. Taku Sugimoto/Kevin Drumm, Den, Sonore
                      14. Taku Sugimoto/Kevin Drumm, Duo, Meme
                      15. Taku Sugimoto/Annette Krebs, Duo in Berlin, Slub
                      16. Kang Tae-hwan/Ichiraku Yoshimitsu/Uchihashi Kazuhisa, Clearness, Psycho
                      Disc, CDR
                      17. Ichiraku Yoshimitsu/Uchihashi Kazuhisa, Cynical Athlete, Psycho Disc,
                      CDR

                      Reissues

                      1. Miles Davis, Complete Jack Johnson, Columbia
                      2. Alan Silva, Luna Surface, Sunspots
                      3. Dave Burrell, Echo, Sunspots
                      4. Sun Ra, Live at Montreux, Universe
                      5. Sun Ra, It¹s After the End of the World, Universe

                      ------ End of Forwarded Message
                    • Steven Wainwright
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 2, 2004
                        Shuttle 358 'Understanding Wildlife'
                        Anderegg 'Anomie'
                        Tim Hecker 'Radio Amor'
                        The Books 'Lemon of Pink'
                        Colleen 'Everyone Alive Wants Answers'
                        Richard Youngs 'Airs of the Ear'
                        Yo La Tengo 'Summer Sun'
                        Kaffe Matthew 'CD Eb & Flo'
                        Fourtet 'Rounds'
                        Need Thomas Windham 'Employment Patterns'
                      • kg-@gmx.de
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 2, 2004
                          Longplay:

                          (mostly reissues)

                          Manitoba - Up in Flames
                          Tokens - Intercourse
                          The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo (expanded)
                          Stephan Mathieu/Ekkehard Ehlers - Heroin
                          Higher Intelligence Agency/Biosphere - Polar Sequences
                          Hint - Portakabin Fever
                          Thomas Köner - Unerforschtes Gebiet

                          Singles:

                          Centrozoon - The Scent of Crash and Burn
                          !!! - Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)
                          Manitoba - If Assholes Could Fly This Place Would Be an Airport
                          Akufen - Horrorama
                          Van Dyke Parks - Black Gold

                        • youngerluke
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 3, 2004
                            bird seed - whitehouse
                            white1 - sunn o)))
                            amplifier worship - boris (reissue)
                            love is love - lungfish
                            turning it down since 2001 - noxagt
                            svidd negar ost - ulver
                            things viral - khanate
                            here comes the indian - animal collective
                            the civil war - matmos
                            haha sound - broadcast

                            luke
                          • pascal bérest
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 4, 2004
                              my top10 for 2003 releases :

                              1- jono el grande - fevergreens (rune grammofon)
                              2- v/a - money will ruin everything (rune grammofon)
                              3- supersilent - 6 (rune grammofon)
                              4- tribalistas - tribalistas (virgin)
                              5- a hawk and a hack saw - a hawk and a hack saw (cloud recordings)
                              6- set fire to flames - telegraphs in negative / mouths trapped in
                              static (alien8 recordings)
                              7- einstüzende neubauten - supporter cd #1 (label incoonu)
                              8- bardo pond - on the ellipse (atp recordings)
                              9- arne nordheim - dodeka (rune grammofon)
                              10- jonathan parant - littérature (squintfuckerpress)

                              but about 20 other could be in the top 10...

                              pascal.

                              french webzine is looking for reviewers, interviewers, writers

                              http://www.magnetophone.com

                              disques à vendre ici : http://www.magnetophone.com/vente.html
                            • A.S. Van Dorston
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 5, 2004
                                1. Radiohead - Hail To The Thief
                                2. Four Tet - Rounds
                                3. Cafe Tacvba - Quatro Caminos
                                4. Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium
                                5. Concretes - Concretes
                                6. Lomax - A Symbol Of Modern Living
                                7. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell
                                8. Sufjan Stevens - Greetings from Michigan
                                9. Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher
                                10. Otto - Sem Gravidade
                                11. Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
                                12. Broadcast - Hahasound
                                13. Ed Harcourt - From Every Sphere
                                14. Stars - Heart
                                15. Josh Rouse - 1972
                                16. Shack - Here's Tom With The Weather
                                17. Do Make Say Think - Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn
                                18. Tujiko Noriko - From Tokyo to Naiagara
                                19. Menomena - I Am The Fun Blame Monster
                                20. White Stripes - Elephant

                                More (Year-End Summary, Top 13 Lists) --
                                http://www.fastnbulbous.com/lucky03.htm

                                Fast 'n' Bulbous Music Webzine
                                www.fastnbulbous.com

                              • François Monti
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 10, 2004
                                  1. Khanate - Things viral
                                  2. Tujiko Noriko - From Tokyo to Naiagra¨
                                  3. Pelican - Australasia
                                  4. Haco and Sakamoto Hiromichi - Ash in the rainbow
                                  5. Robert Wyatt - Cuckooland
                                  6. David Sylvian - Blemish
                                  7. Sunn - White1
                                  8. Kazumasa Hashimoto - Yupi
                                  9. Supersilent 6
                                  10. O.N.O - 6 month at outside stairs
                                  11. Neurosis & Jarboe
                                  12. Hoahio - Peek-ara-boo
                                  13. Ekkehard Ehlers - Politik braucht keinen Feind
                                  14. Sole - Selling live water
                                  15. Aoki Takamasa - Indigo Rose
                                  16. Minamo - Beautiful
                                  17. Ulver - Quick Fix of Melancholy / First decade
                                  18. Virus - Carheart
                                  19. Piana - Snow Bird
                                  20. Iran - The moon boys
                                  21. Melt Banana - Cell scape
                                  22. Killing Joke - s/t
                                  23. Grails - The burden of hope
                                  24. House of low culture - Edward's lament
                                  25. The Angels of light - Everything is good here /Please come home
                                  26. Sora - re.sort
                                  27. And then you die
                                  28. Sun - s/t
                                  29. Giardini di Miro - Punk not diet
                                  30. Sketch show - tronica
                                  31. Entombed - Inferno
                                  32. The Neptunes present Clones
                                  33. A silver mt Zion - This is our punk rock
                                  34. Why? - Oaklandazulasylum

                                  François Monti
                                  musique[machine], the multi-genre music magazine :
                                  http://www.musiquemachine.com
                                  6, rue Pietkin
                                  B4000 Liège
                                  Belgium