Krautrock must haves

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 14, 2003
      With my annual trip to London coming up shortly I'm trying to work
      out what I NEED to get hold of in terms of Krautrock.
      I've got some of the more obvious stuff Can, Faust, Kraftwerk
      Tangerine Dream, Guru Guru etc also some of the not so obvious GAA
      etc.

      What do people consider absolute must haves?
      If I get suggestions then maybe I can fill out my collection
      accordingly.
      Stevo
      Np Black Flag live '84 Black Coffee
    • Charlie M
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 14, 2003
        Neu 1st and 2nd, Harmonia 1st, ....

        Charlie.

        > What do people consider absolute must haves?
        > If I get suggestions then maybe I can fill out my collection
        > accordingly.
        > Stevo
        > Np Black Flag live '84 Black Coffee

      • Olivier Borzeix
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 15, 2003
          Faust "Tape", "S/T", "So Far"... Ash Ra Templ "Scwigungen"

          Olivier
          > What do people consider absolute must haves?
          > If I get suggestions then maybe I can fill out my collection
          > accordingly.
          > Stevo
          > Np Black Flag live '84 Black Coffee

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Stevo
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 15, 2003
            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Olivier Borzeix" <oborzeix@s...>
            wrote:
            > Faust "Tape", "S/T", "So Far"... Ash Ra Templ "Scwigungen"

            Great, got all of those so don't need to
            I think I've got a copy of the first ART coming through the post.
            Just got Xhol Caravan's Electrip through this morning.
            Thinking about getting

            Dom Edge of Time
            Kalacakra Crawling To lhasa
            Yatha Sidra
            Popul Vuh Einsager und Sebensager
            Guru Guru Hinten -is the live thing on GOD any good?
            Silberbart
            Hairy Chapter
            Embryo -first couple?
            Out of Focus first
            Is MYTHOS any cop?

            and then there's the non-German stuf that I've beenmeaning to
            investigate.
            The Scandinavian stuff -Trad Gras och Steinar/Algarnas Tradgard/
            International Harvester etc etc
            and the other European
            Heldon
            Area
            anything else that is a pretty much must have?
            Stevo
          • R. Lim
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 15, 2003
              This question seems to pop up pretty frequently, but I don't think it's
              really ever been addressed very comprehensively since Bill Kellum and
              Eamonn Keane put together their primer list nine years. Check it out at
              http://www.droneon.org/4.html#4.1 and see what you think.

              I would note that a) the list was subject to their personal taste and b)
              they put it together before the onslaught of reissues made stuff like
              Siloah and Gaea available to the masses (Gaea's On the Road to Uranus and
              the two Siloah records being worthy additions to the canon, I'd also add
              the first Emtidi and Spacebox). Anyway, I think they did an admirable job
              of hitting most of the key bands of the time. I would also add the 6CD
              Ash Ra set on Manikin as being as good as any of their regular releases,
              not that you can pick it up at your local Rough Trade.

              them in the top two tiers. The Guru Guru live thing is quality, but very
              short and perhaps the sound isn't pristine.

              -rob

              --
              Janitor From Mars archives and more @ http://www.wfmu.org/~rlim
            • Charlie M
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 15, 2003
                Probably my favourite is Agitation Free's "Malesch" which is stunning. Some
                really great ethno-psych groovery with a lot of original "moves". Many rate
                their "2nd" as better but I've not heard it.
                Yatha Sidra's "A Meditation Mass" is great too. A few duff moments but
                overall excellent space trance psych noodling.
                Hairy Chapter is the excessive hard rock guitar wank end of Kraut rock and
                is pretty impressive if you like that kind of thing. I do!

                Really your best bet is to invest in Ultima Thule's million page catalogue
                (or if you're in Leicester go to their amazing shop) which keeps abreast of
                all Krautrock reissues probably better than any other mail-order outlet in
                the universe. It's astounding. Their tastes guide their mini-reviews of each
                item they sell (and some disagree severely with their judgement!) but I've
                had some great stuff on their extremely knowledgeable recommendations.

                Try Necronomicon's "Tips Zum Selbstmord" - crazy OTT dark Kraut mook!

                Wallenstein's 1st comes recommended by a friend - I've not heard it but it's
                of the "insanely heavy OTT guitar excess" end of Kraut rather than the
                metronomic groove thing.

                Charlie.

                > > Faust "Tape", "S/T", "So Far"... Ash Ra Templ "Scwigungen"
                > >
                > Great, got all of those so don't need to
                > I think I've got a copy of the first ART coming through the post.
                > Just got Xhol Caravan's Electrip through this morning.
                > Thinking about getting
                >
                > Dom Edge of Time
                > Kalacakra Crawling To lhasa
                > Yatha Sidra
                > Popul Vuh Einsager und Sebensager
                > Guru Guru Hinten -is the live thing on GOD any good?
                > Silberbart
                > Hairy Chapter
                > Embryo -first couple?
                > Out of Focus first
                > Is MYTHOS any cop?
                >
                > and then there's the non-German stuf that I've beenmeaning to
                > investigate.
                > The Scandinavian stuff -Trad Gras och Steinar/Algarnas Tradgard/
                > International Harvester etc etc
                > and the other European
                > Heldon
                > Area
                > anything else that is a pretty much must have?
                > Stevo

              • Дмитрий Ухов
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 15, 2003
                  Speaking of Krautrock,
                  i pity "Agitation Free" has never issued their performance at the Warsaw
                  Autumn 1974 ("Church of Anthrax" etc). Or they did?
                  Also, an Estonian band of the early 80s 'In spe" is worth mentioning.
                  BTW their first leader Erkki-Sven Tuur is hailed by ECM as a new Arvo Part
                  (the recognition he actually deserves).
                  dmitri (Moscow)
                • stevolende@yahoo.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 17, 2003
                    --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie M" <charlie.m@u...> wrote:
                    > Yatha Sidra's "A Meditation Mass" is great too. A few duff moments
                    but
                    > overall excellent space trance psych noodling.

                    Just seen that this is due a reissue by uNiversal or somebody.
                    Presumably worth the wait then.

                    Thinking of imminent reissues Mellow Candle's SWadling Songs is due
                    through Acme any week now.
                    Stevo
                    Np James Brown Hot Pants Can't Stand It
                  • stevolende@yahoo.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 17, 2003
                      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ õÈÏ×" <dmituhov@m...> wrote:

                      > Also, an Estonian band of the early 80s 'In spe" is worth
                      mentioning.
                      > BTW their first leader Erkki-Sven Tuur is hailed by ECM as a new
                      Arvo Part
                      > (the recognition he actually deserves).
                      > dmitri (Moscow)

                      page on them here
                      http://home.uninet.ee/~mel/estprog/proge/inspe.html
                      http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q1E5156D6
                    • stevolende@yahoo.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 17, 2003
                        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, stevolende@y... wrote:
                        > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ õÈÏ×" <dmituhov@m...>
                        wrote:

                        > > Also, an Estonian band of the early 80s 'In spe" is worth
                        > mentioning.
                        > > BTW their first leader Erkki-Sven Tuur is hailed by ECM as a new
                        > Arvo Part
                        > > (the recognition he actually deserves).
                        > > dmitri (Moscow)
                        >
                        > page on them here
                        > http://home.uninet.ee/~mel/estprog/proge/inspe.html
                        > http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q1E5156D6

                        should've pointed out that that's 2 separate entries