Re: Yellow Magic Orchestra/Ryuichi Sakamoto/Haruomi Hosono

  • gradyfinklemyer
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 11, 2003
      Ryuichi Sakamoto-Thousand Knives of came out around the time of B 2
      Unit, I think. It was released in 78 or 79. It's one of his first
      solo albums, and a good one. Instrumental electronic music that
      doesn't get too cheesy like some of the YMO stuff. It's a good one.
      I remember having one of the Hosono albums from the seventies, and
      not being very impressed with it. Japanese pop with a Van Dyke Parks
      influence, but didn't work for me. On the other hand, the Hosono-
      Medicine Compilation(from the Quiet Lodge) disc that came out in 1993
      is a really good ambient disc with a few songs sung by Hosono also.

      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "A.S. Van Dorston" <anthony@f...>
      wrote:
      > I was listening to Yellow Magic Orchestra's Technodelic and Ryuichi
      > Sakamoto's B 2 Unit and lovin' it. I want more. I have YMO's
      somewhat
      > overrated Solid State Survivor, but not the ones below. I can't
      even find
      > 'em on SoulSeek. Before I buy imports, anyone have any
      > recommendations/warnings?
      >
      > I read about Hosono's Eno/exotica albums years ago in Wire 162, but
      haven't
      > heard anything from them. They're supposed to be influenced by Van
      Dyke
      > Parks, who produced the final 1973 album of Hosono's psychedelic
      band Happy
      > End. Wire 139's review of the '95 reissue labelled it
      indispensable, mixing
      > kitsch, louche cabaret music, rock, traditional instruments,
      strings,
      > ersatz environmental soud and synths. "In its wake came not only
      Yellow
      > Magic Orchestra, a consoloidation of Hosono's Yellow Magic Band,
      but the
      > eccentricities of outfits like Wha Ha Ha and Haniwa -- radical
      groups whose
      > work is clearly heralded in this, the subtly extraordinary first
      stage of
      > the thoroughly compelling late 20th century trajectory of an
      identifiably
      > Japanese rock music."
      >
      > YMO * Xoo Multiples (EMI) 81
      > * BGM (Sony) 81
      > Ryuichi Sakamoto * Left Handed Dream (MIDI) 81
      > Haruomi Hosono * Tropical Dandy (Nippon Cross) 75
      > * Bon Voyage Co 76
      > * Paraiso 78
      >
      > In case you were wondering how I recall those issues --
      > http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/bin/wire is a handy lil' index.
      >

      > Fast 'n' Bulbous Music Webzine
      > www.fastnbulbous.com

    • gradyfinklemyer
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 11, 2003
        Damn, wish I still had that 10cd Sakamoto box of work from the early
        to mid 80's. There was some good stuff on there. I liked the disc
        with the picture of him at the piano, and a shadow of an insect
        behind him. Hard to keep track of all his stuff though.