[thewire] Yellow Magic Orchestra/Ryuichi Sakamoto/Haruomi Hosono

  • A.S. Van Dorston
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 10, 2003
      I was listening to Yellow Magic Orchestra's Technodelic and Ryuichi
      Sakamoto's B 2 Unit and lovin' it. I want more. I have YMO's somewhat
      overrated Solid State Survivor, but not the ones below. I can't even find
      'em on SoulSeek. Before I buy imports, anyone have any
      recommendations/warnings?

      I read about Hosono's Eno/exotica albums years ago in Wire 162, but haven't
      heard anything from them. They're supposed to be influenced by Van Dyke
      Parks, who produced the final 1973 album of Hosono's psychedelic band Happy
      End. Wire 139's review of the '95 reissue labelled it indispensable, mixing
      kitsch, louche cabaret music, rock, traditional instruments, strings,
      ersatz environmental soud and synths. "In its wake came not only Yellow
      Magic Orchestra, a consoloidation of Hosono's Yellow Magic Band, but the
      eccentricities of outfits like Wha Ha Ha and Haniwa -- radical groups whose
      work is clearly heralded in this, the subtly extraordinary first stage of
      the thoroughly compelling late 20th century trajectory of an identifiably
      Japanese rock music."

      YMO * Xoo Multiples (EMI) 81
      * BGM (Sony) 81
      Ryuichi Sakamoto * Left Handed Dream (MIDI) 81
      Haruomi Hosono * Tropical Dandy (Nippon Cross) 75
      * Bon Voyage Co 76
      * Paraiso 78

      In case you were wondering how I recall those issues --
      http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/bin/wire is a handy lil' index.

      Fast 'n' Bulbous Music Webzine
      www.fastnbulbous.com

    • gradyfinklemyer
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 11, 2003
        Damn, wish I still had that 10cd Sakamoto box of work from the early
        to mid 80's. There was some good stuff on there. I liked the disc
        with the picture of him at the piano, and a shadow of an insect
        behind him. Hard to keep track of all his stuff though.