  • menschenfiend
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 29, 2003
      Hello,

      Im writing to let you know that Whizz records of Columbia Mo an
      independent record / book store is now expanding into carrying
      zines, and micro label releases on a consignment basis. Getting your
      zine/music in the store is simple; simply fill out our consignment
      sheet ( http://www.menschenfeind.com/consignment.doc ) print it off
      and mail it back with copies of your zine/music.
      Labels/Bands should email first before sending releases to make sure
      its something that we think we can sell. For zines / publications
      you canemail us first or just send us some copies. No review process
      No hassles.

      Whizz records has been Columbia's outlet for independent music since
      1976.
      We specialize in Punk/Noise/New wave/industrial/synth
      pop/NoWave/Bubblegum/Psyche/Electro/experimental/French Ye
      ye/....basically anything you wouldnt/couldnt find at your local
      music chain store, or even your average indy shop. What we dont sell
      is middle of the road
      rock,pop,rap, etc. We also have a wide variety of books, and
      magazines with no subject being
      taboo.

      We understand if your weary about having your releases sold on
      consignment, if requested we can provide various label/band
      references. Most record stores are not willing to do anything on
      consignment, even fewer buy from smaller labels or bands directly.
      This is an opportunity to
      get your releases on store shelves. Any promo material such as
      reviews, posters, will be displayed and used to help promote the
      material. If your releases do well we will switch to paying you up
      front, as we currently do with many small labels/distributers.

      If you have any questions email
      whizzrecords@... with the subject consignment

      All our titles will also soon be listed, and available for purchase
      at www.menschenfeind.com

      thanks
      Dustin N.

      P.S. We are also open to trade, but right now only releases from
      menschenfeind productions are available for trading.

      -
      Whizz Records
      20 south 9th st
      Columbia mo
      65201
      USA
      www.menschenfeind.com
    • chx
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 29, 2003
        Greets,

        To cut a long story short, can anyone recommend releases on the Naxos
        label? Mainly interested in stuff that falls within the remit of The
        Wire...

        Thanks!

        chx
        --

        "meaning is the illusion of experience"
        -chx

      • Guillaume Grenier
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 29, 2003
          On 29/11/03 17:31, chx said in living color:

          > Greets,
          >
          > To cut a long story short, can anyone recommend releases on the Naxos
          > label? Mainly interested in stuff that falls within the remit of The
          > Wire...
          >
          > Thanks!

          The Messiaen (piano - Haakon Austbö; Turangalila-Symphonie/L'ascension -
          Polish-something orchestra, Antoni Wit) and Lutoslawski (also Polish/Wit)
          recordings range from good to very good.

          Another polish composer -- Penderecki -- also supposedly fares very well on
          Naxos -- I haven't heard these CDs yet.

          There is (an increasingly) large number of gems in the Naxos Historical
          series (old recordings), but I guess that is of less interest to this list's
          members.

          The Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues (by Konstantin Scherbakov -- other
          recordings by him are also worth to explore) are also great.

          g.

          --
          Guillaume Grenier - grenier.g@...

          in space there is no north in space there is no south
          in space there is no east in space there is no west
        • kraig grady
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 30, 2003
            There is a recording of Prokofiev playing his third piano concerto, It is quite
            enlightening as to how it take a while to get performed correctly by an
            orchestra .Sergei is and was a monster, with more humor than 90% of those of
            such playing capabilities.

            Guillaume Grenier wrote:

            > On 29/11/03 17:31, chx said in living color:
            >
            > > Greets,
            > >
            > > To cut a long story short, can anyone recommend releases on the Naxos
            > > label? Mainly interested in stuff that falls within the remit of The
            > > Wire...
            > >

            > g.
            >
            > --
            > Guillaume Grenier - grenier.g@...
            >
            > in space there is no north in space there is no south
            > in space there is no east in space there is no west

            -- -Kraig Grady
            North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
            http://www.anaphoria.com
            The Wandering Medicine Show
            KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST
          • Kristopher S. Handley
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 30, 2003
              > > > To cut a long story short, can anyone recommend releases on the Naxos
              > > > label? Mainly interested in stuff that falls within the remit of The
              > > > Wire...

              I think the WIRE did a profile on American expat composer Gloria Coates last
              issue. I picked up the first volume of her string quartets on Naxos (a
              second was just released, apparently) and really liked it. Recommended for
              those who like a viscous textural, timbral music, a la Scelsi. I second the
              recommendation of the Lutoslawskis, all of which compare favorably to other
              recordings I have heard; and the Messiaen TURANGALILA is brilliant and holds
              its own.

              I'd be interested to know how the Cage recordings are.

              -----s

              Need a shot of Hank Williams or Patsy Cline? The classic country stars are
              always singing on MSN Radio Plus. Try one month free!
            • kraig grady

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 30, 2003
                  On 30/11/03 15:36, Kristopher S. Handley said in living color:

                  > I'd be interested to know how the Cage recordings are.

                  I have the "Music for prepared piano, vol. 2" release (Boris Berman), and
                  remember enjoying it -- though I have no point of reference for the works
                  recorded on this volume... but I know that the overall appreciation for this
                  disc is also very good.

                  The first volume is the Sonatas and Interludes; I haven't heard it... but
                  here, there is a plethora of choices. (Still, I've heard good comments about
                  the Berman recording.)

                  g.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 30, 2003
                    Satie source

                    --

                    "meaning is the illusion of experience"
                    -chx

                  • noblegasesuk
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 30, 2003
                      What's on it?

                      -- Tony

                      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, kraig grady <kraiggrady@a...> wrote:
                      > The Satie set is quite good
                      >

                      > -- -Kraig Grady
                      > North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
                      > http://www.anaphoria.com
                      > The Wandering Medicine Show
                      > KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST
                    • kraig grady
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 30, 2003
                        there are five/six volumes of all of Saties piano works

                        noblegasesuk wrote:

                        > What's on it?
                        >
                        > -- Tony
                        >
                        > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, kraig grady <kraiggrady@a...> wrote:
                        > > The Satie set is quite good

                        -- -Kraig Grady
                        North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
                        http://www.anaphoria.com
                        The Wandering Medicine Show
                        KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST
                      • Fractured Music
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
                          He may not be everyone's fave but Phillip Glass's "Violin Concerto" is surprisingly one of the better Glass disc's. The "Akhnaten" prelude is superb.

                          ---Varjak

                        • nrpo_campbell
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 3, 2003
                            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, chx <yahoogroper@b...> wrote:
                            > Greets,
                            >
                            > To cut a long story short, can anyone recommend releases on the
                            Naxos
                            > label? Mainly interested in stuff that falls within the remit of
                            The
                            > Wire...

                            lookout for anything by Ensemble Unicorn or Oni Wytars in the Naxos
                            early music series - some great ensemble jamming on some of 'em, more
                            like folk than classical. They've recorded a stack, but I like "songs
                            of the troubadours" best i think...
                            nc