Re: [thewire] Re: Jandek on Corwood -- Review in the Wire

  • R. Lim
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2003
      I think the filmmakers are in discussions re: a DVD release, but it's
      basically making a go at the festival circuit right now. Best bet is to
      check http://www.jandekoncorwood.com

      -robb

      --
      Janitor From Mars archives and more @ http://www.wfmu.org/~rlim
    • alexsecor
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2003
        Did you ever get this? You know, I started to type it in and then I
        finally just had to stop because I was editorializing every sentence
        and I'm sure you didn't need that. But it's very problematic. Anyway
        the gist: The essence of Jandek is implacable so oh the hubris at
        these guys thinking they could document him but surprise JOC is,
        "against all the odds a fantastic evocation of one of the most
        compelling soundworlds ever to orbit the contemporary underground."
        Keenan then refers to the movie's reliance on "Jandek scholars and
        obsessives", just what the world needs, right?

        Trying to explicate Jandek's cultural significance is anathema, nay
        destructive to his whole project. And that these guys made the movie
        not because they'd had any significant prior engagement with Jandek's
        music (they had NONE) but because they had some disposable income
        burning a hole in their pocket and thought a documentary would be neat
        so shopped around for something that would be suitably amusing is just
        fucking exploitative. Though I'll hold my nose and watch it for the
        interview at the end. And these guys will profit from it. Great. I
        don't like that this will introduce people to Jandek whose interests
        are totally inorganic, studied, academic, dilletantish etc....The
        movie intellectualizes what should be a profoundly, if not the most
        profound, emotional experience. It desecrates the essence of Jandek.

        The review of course evokes the music and experience of Jandek in some
        insightful ways but it doesn't question the presumption that a
        documentary won't by nature compromise the experience of the music.
        "But ultimately JOC is a huge success, proof that even this far into
        the game there are certain semi-desolate corners of the underground
        that remain impregnable to colonisation by the ever - encroaching
        monoculture and its accompanying pressures and pay - offs. No matter
        what the truth is, it makes you believe." If this documentary itself
        isn't proof that nothing is sacred, nothing is "impregnable to
        colonisation by the ever - encroaching monoculture" then I don't know
        what is. And I have absolutely no truck with this idea that the only
        excusable pause in one's adulation of Jandek is because he "fetishizes
        dysfunction". Perhaps the worst part of Jandek's reticence is that he
        thereby becomes the domain of these people.

        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "kisseverycomma23"