Re: Jandek on Corwood -- Review in the Wire

  • kisseverycomma23
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 12, 2003
      That would be great... thanks.

      Can't wait to read it.

      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, slbush@b... wrote:
      > If no one responds today, I'll type it in for you later this
      evening from home.
      > - stephanie

      I'm
      > anxious to see what they had to say about Jandek on Corwood in the
      > latest issue.
      >
      > Is there anyone out there that can transcribe the text for me?
      >
      > Not trying to take revenue away from one of my favorite mags by
      > making their content available online... just a rabid Jandek fan
      who
      > can't wait for the review, and has no access to the mag.
      >
      > (I'll spring for the subscritpion someday.. I promise)...

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Ivan Lapse
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 12, 2003
        I read the Jandek on Corwood review in the latest ish
        of the Wire with much interest. However, I'm unclear
        as to whether this is a film making the theater
        rounds, a DVD, or a Video that has been released.

        Would someone on the list please enlighten me as to
        what manner of release this is, and if it is a
        DVD/Video where I might pick it up?

        Thanks,

        Ivan

        --- kisseverycomma23 <kisseverycomma23@...>
        wrote:
        > That would be great... thanks.
        >
        > Can't wait to read it.
        >

        > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, slbush@b... wrote:
        > > If no one responds today, I'll type it in for you
        > later this
        > evening from home.
        > > - stephanie

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • R. Lim
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 13, 2003
          I think the filmmakers are in discussions re: a DVD release, but it's
          basically making a go at the festival circuit right now. Best bet is to
          check http://www.jandekoncorwood.com

          -robb

          --
          Janitor From Mars archives and more @ http://www.wfmu.org/~rlim
        • alexsecor
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2003
            Did you ever get this? You know, I started to type it in and then I
            finally just had to stop because I was editorializing every sentence
            and I'm sure you didn't need that. But it's very problematic. Anyway
            the gist: The essence of Jandek is implacable so oh the hubris at
            these guys thinking they could document him but surprise JOC is,
            "against all the odds a fantastic evocation of one of the most
            compelling soundworlds ever to orbit the contemporary underground."
            Keenan then refers to the movie's reliance on "Jandek scholars and
            obsessives", just what the world needs, right?

            Trying to explicate Jandek's cultural significance is anathema, nay
            destructive to his whole project. And that these guys made the movie
            not because they'd had any significant prior engagement with Jandek's
            music (they had NONE) but because they had some disposable income
            burning a hole in their pocket and thought a documentary would be neat
            so shopped around for something that would be suitably amusing is just
            fucking exploitative. Though I'll hold my nose and watch it for the
            interview at the end. And these guys will profit from it. Great. I
            don't like that this will introduce people to Jandek whose interests
            are totally inorganic, studied, academic, dilletantish etc....The
            movie intellectualizes what should be a profoundly, if not the most
            profound, emotional experience. It desecrates the essence of Jandek.

            The review of course evokes the music and experience of Jandek in some
            insightful ways but it doesn't question the presumption that a
            documentary won't by nature compromise the experience of the music.
            "But ultimately JOC is a huge success, proof that even this far into
            the game there are certain semi-desolate corners of the underground
            that remain impregnable to colonisation by the ever - encroaching
            monoculture and its accompanying pressures and pay - offs. No matter
            what the truth is, it makes you believe." If this documentary itself
            isn't proof that nothing is sacred, nothing is "impregnable to
            colonisation by the ever - encroaching monoculture" then I don't know
            what is. And I have absolutely no truck with this idea that the only
            excusable pause in one's adulation of Jandek is because he "fetishizes
            dysfunction". Perhaps the worst part of Jandek's reticence is that he
            thereby becomes the domain of these people.

            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "kisseverycomma23"