RE: [thewire] Jandek on Corwood -- Review in the Wire

  • slbush@beast.amd.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 10, 2003
      If no one responds today, I'll type it in for you later this evening from home.
      - stephanie

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 12, 2003
        That would be great... thanks.

        Can't wait to read it.

        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, slbush@b... wrote:
        > If no one responds today, I'll type it in for you later this
        evening from home.
        > - stephanie

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Ivan Lapse
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 12, 2003
          I read the Jandek on Corwood review in the latest ish
          of the Wire with much interest. However, I'm unclear
          as to whether this is a film making the theater
          rounds, a DVD, or a Video that has been released.

          Would someone on the list please enlighten me as to
          what manner of release this is, and if it is a
          DVD/Video where I might pick it up?

          Thanks,

          Ivan

          --- kisseverycomma23 <kisseverycomma23@...>
          wrote:
          > That would be great... thanks.
          >
          > Can't wait to read it.
          >

          > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, slbush@b... wrote:
          > > If no one responds today, I'll type it in for you
          > later this
          > evening from home.
          > > - stephanie

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • R. Lim
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 13, 2003
            I think the filmmakers are in discussions re: a DVD release, but it's
            basically making a go at the festival circuit right now. Best bet is to
            check http://www.jandekoncorwood.com

            -robb

            --
            Janitor From Mars archives and more @ http://www.wfmu.org/~rlim
          • alexsecor
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2003
              Did you ever get this? You know, I started to type it in and then I
              finally just had to stop because I was editorializing every sentence
              and I'm sure you didn't need that. But it's very problematic. Anyway
              the gist: The essence of Jandek is implacable so oh the hubris at
              these guys thinking they could document him but surprise JOC is,
              "against all the odds a fantastic evocation of one of the most
              compelling soundworlds ever to orbit the contemporary underground."
              Keenan then refers to the movie's reliance on "Jandek scholars and
              obsessives", just what the world needs, right?

              Trying to explicate Jandek's cultural significance is anathema, nay
              destructive to his whole project. And that these guys made the movie
              not because they'd had any significant prior engagement with Jandek's
              music (they had NONE) but because they had some disposable income
              burning a hole in their pocket and thought a documentary would be neat
              so shopped around for something that would be suitably amusing is just
              fucking exploitative. Though I'll hold my nose and watch it for the
              interview at the end. And these guys will profit from it. Great. I
              don't like that this will introduce people to Jandek whose interests
              are totally inorganic, studied, academic, dilletantish etc....The
              movie intellectualizes what should be a profoundly, if not the most
              profound, emotional experience. It desecrates the essence of Jandek.

              The review of course evokes the music and experience of Jandek in some
              insightful ways but it doesn't question the presumption that a
              documentary won't by nature compromise the experience of the music.
              "But ultimately JOC is a huge success, proof that even this far into
              the game there are certain semi-desolate corners of the underground
              that remain impregnable to colonisation by the ever - encroaching
              monoculture and its accompanying pressures and pay - offs. No matter
              what the truth is, it makes you believe." If this documentary itself
              isn't proof that nothing is sacred, nothing is "impregnable to
              colonisation by the ever - encroaching monoculture" then I don't know
              what is. And I have absolutely no truck with this idea that the only
              excusable pause in one's adulation of Jandek is because he "fetishizes
              dysfunction". Perhaps the worst part of Jandek's reticence is that he
              thereby becomes the domain of these people.

              --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "kisseverycomma23"