Jandek on Corwood -- Review in the Wire

  • kisseverycomma23
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2003
      Hey,

      I'm 150 miles away from the nearest store selling 'the Wire' and I'm
      anxious to see what they had to say about Jandek on Corwood in the
      latest issue.

      Is there anyone out there that can transcribe the text for me?

      Not trying to take revenue away from one of my favorite mags by
      making their content available online... just a rabid Jandek fan who
      can't wait for the review, and has no access to the mag.

      (I'll spring for the subscritpion someday.. I promise)...
    • slbush@beast.amd.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 10, 2003
        If no one responds today, I'll type it in for you later this evening from home.
        - stephanie

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 12, 2003
          That would be great... thanks.

          Can't wait to read it.

          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, slbush@b... wrote:
          > If no one responds today, I'll type it in for you later this
          evening from home.
          > - stephanie

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Ivan Lapse
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 12, 2003
            I read the Jandek on Corwood review in the latest ish
            of the Wire with much interest. However, I'm unclear
            as to whether this is a film making the theater
            rounds, a DVD, or a Video that has been released.

            Would someone on the list please enlighten me as to
            what manner of release this is, and if it is a
            DVD/Video where I might pick it up?

            Thanks,

            Ivan

            --- kisseverycomma23 <kisseverycomma23@...>
            wrote:
            > That would be great... thanks.
            >
            > Can't wait to read it.
            >

            > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, slbush@b... wrote:
            > > If no one responds today, I'll type it in for you
            > later this
            > evening from home.
            > > - stephanie

            http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
          • R. Lim
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 13, 2003
              I think the filmmakers are in discussions re: a DVD release, but it's
              basically making a go at the festival circuit right now. Best bet is to
              check http://www.jandekoncorwood.com

              -robb

              --
              Janitor From Mars archives and more @ http://www.wfmu.org/~rlim
            • alexsecor
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2003
                Did you ever get this? You know, I started to type it in and then I
                finally just had to stop because I was editorializing every sentence
                and I'm sure you didn't need that. But it's very problematic. Anyway
                the gist: The essence of Jandek is implacable so oh the hubris at
                these guys thinking they could document him but surprise JOC is,
                "against all the odds a fantastic evocation of one of the most
                compelling soundworlds ever to orbit the contemporary underground."
                Keenan then refers to the movie's reliance on "Jandek scholars and
                obsessives", just what the world needs, right?

                Trying to explicate Jandek's cultural significance is anathema, nay
                destructive to his whole project. And that these guys made the movie
                not because they'd had any significant prior engagement with Jandek's
                music (they had NONE) but because they had some disposable income
                burning a hole in their pocket and thought a documentary would be neat
                so shopped around for something that would be suitably amusing is just
                fucking exploitative. Though I'll hold my nose and watch it for the
                interview at the end. And these guys will profit from it. Great. I
                don't like that this will introduce people to Jandek whose interests
                are totally inorganic, studied, academic, dilletantish etc....The
                movie intellectualizes what should be a profoundly, if not the most
                profound, emotional experience. It desecrates the essence of Jandek.

                The review of course evokes the music and experience of Jandek in some
                insightful ways but it doesn't question the presumption that a
                documentary won't by nature compromise the experience of the music.
                "But ultimately JOC is a huge success, proof that even this far into
                the game there are certain semi-desolate corners of the underground
                that remain impregnable to colonisation by the ever - encroaching
                monoculture and its accompanying pressures and pay - offs. No matter
                what the truth is, it makes you believe." If this documentary itself
                isn't proof that nothing is sacred, nothing is "impregnable to
                colonisation by the ever - encroaching monoculture" then I don't know
                what is. And I have absolutely no truck with this idea that the only
                excusable pause in one's adulation of Jandek is because he "fetishizes
                dysfunction". Perhaps the worst part of Jandek's reticence is that he
                thereby becomes the domain of these people.

                --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "kisseverycomma23"