Highpoint Lowlife Press Release November 2003

  • thorsten@8bitrecs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2003
      hia,
      just wanted to round up our latest news of releases and tour dates...

      This week saw the release of our two latest CDs..

      [HPLL::005] FISK INDUSTRIES - The Isle Of Wight EP
      On this, Mat Ranson's first official release, he recalls an idyllic
      sun-drenched weekend holiday with friends on the Isle Of Wight.
      Field recordings combine with dreamy analog synths and low basslines,
      sweeping you along on a gentle current before the crunch-laden
      heavy drums kick in and you find yourself completely immersed.
      Recalling the simplistic beauty of Isan, and the carefree naivette of
      Boards of Canada, the debut EP by Fisk Industries is a carefully
      constructed and presented, tightly produced slice of warm electronica.

      what Playlouder.com has to say about it:
      "The CD equivalent of a fit ninja, this one. A very, very beautiful
      record, if somewhat deceptive. Track 1, 'We Saw Orion', begins with the
      promise of dancehall, making way for the terrible sound of Orwell's
      ever-stomping boot, before some lush metallic sounds sort of slice the top
      off its head like Uma Thurman does to Oren Issi in Kill Bill."

      and Tesselate.me.uk:
      "If you can, imagine how cool the sequel to "B12's soundtrack of space"
      would be, Fisk Industries have created that excellence within these six
      tracks, but added a whole new level of audioskillness. Treat your ears to
      this beauty, or they will begin to cry. Trust me."

      [HPLL::006] SI-CUT.DB - Find Some Shade
      Static infused, and processed dub basslines combine with microhouse
      production and minimalist tech sounds for this, the latest full length
      release from the prolific Si-cut.db. Douglas Benford, the man behind
      the Si-cut.db persona has over the past ten or so years released a
      vast catalog of solo work and collaborations on labels ranging from
      Spa.rk, Bip_Hop, BackGround, Expanding, and working with people like
      Benge, Scanner, and Stephan Mathieu, all while also co-running the
      London based monthly Sprawl club and label, alongside partner in crime,
      BitTonic.
      In 'Find Some Shade' Si-cut.db pushes his sound further, continuing
      his explorations of found sound and digitized noise, combining it with
      a more dance oriented, tho stoned and hazy, lofi groove.

      Previous praise for Si-cut.db:
      Gridface.com:
      "Si-cut.db's "A Shower" is reminiscent of Basic Channel output, with
      minimal percussion and lots of reverb. It;s good for late-night
      atmosphere. Similarly, "Surfeit" is lo-fi burbling with a few dubby
      elements. These two tracks tempt me to track down more Si-cut.db
      material."

      TheMilkFactory.co.uk:
      "Douglas Benford joins the cream of the German minimalist scene, as he
      pushes the boundaries of the genre by allowing more melodic formations to
      take shape. More than a bridge between 'micro rhythms and carpentry'"

      Both CDs availble in all good record stores, or direct from the sonomu.net
      marketplace at: http://sonomu.net/org/~highpointlowlife/shop/

      For this week only, our whole catalog is being offered for 5 pounds each
      plus mailing.

      to help promote these releases, and our other upcoming artists, we are
      hitting the road for a few weeks at the end of this month crossing te UK
      and onto Europe...

      HPLL LABEL TOUR 2003

      UK Dates
      w/ Si-cut.db // Dalglish (O.S.T.) // Motion
      TUE 25.11.03 Arts Cafe, London
      WED 26.11.03 Music Rooms, Stoke
      THU 27.11.03 The Cellar, Oxford

      UK Dates
      w/ Si-cut.db // Dalglish (O.S.T.) // n.ln
      FRI 28.11.03 Cabaret Voltaire, Edinburgh
      SAT 29.11.03 13th Note, Glasgow
      SUN 30.11.03 Moogbar, Nottingham
      WED 03.12.03 Sprawl,London
      THU 04.12.03 Freebutt,Brighton

      Euro Dates
      w/ n.ln // tigrics
      FRI 05.12.03 NBI Club, Berlin, Germany
      SUN 07.12.03 Rhiz Club, Vienna, Austria
      MON 08.12.03 A83, Budapest, Hungary
      WED 10.12.03 Bratislava, Slovakia
      FRI 12.12.03 Kulturbunker, Cologne, Germany
      SAT 13.12.03 Frankfurt, Germany
      MON 15.12.03 Astra-tube, Hamburg, Germany
      WED 17.12.03 Copenhagen Denmark - w/Thomas Knak DJ

      Other upcoming projects over the next few months include

      [HPLL::007] Recon - White Label
      London based Chris Coodes, with previous releases on Fat Cat and 12k under
      the name of Motion, takes his sound in a different trajectory, going for a
      much darker deep dub sound.

      [HPLL::008] Rashamon - Tomorrow, People
      Brighton's Lee Hume, fresh from his recent Radio1 show and upcoming
      support slot for Max Tundra, part of the Brighton collective 'Spirit Of
      Gravity', has been releasing various CDR projects and doing shows
      for the past few years now, building up a healthy following. We're very
      proud to be presenting his first offical label release.

      [HPLL::009] Marshall Watson - The Time Was Later Than He Expected
      Putting Ulrich Schnauss to shame, Seattlite Marshall Watson creates
      beautiful otherworldy melodies to soothe your worries away.

      [HPLL::010] v/a - Some Paths Lead Back Again
      A compilation of Scottish electronica acts, compiled by The Marcia Blaine
      School For Girls.

      Checkout http://www.highpointlowlife.com
      for full streaming previews and some exclusive artist downloads.

      many thanks,
      thorsten sideb0ard